• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
While Google a powerful company (so are ms). They don't have nearly 2 decades of game libary and 14 game studios.
Google could be evil though and gimp the Xcloud app on android.
People always seem to forget that you actually need games and studios to succeed in the games industry. Go ask Microsoft how far money alone gets you.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Depends what you mean by dominate.
Winning over the 2 other classic console platforms, sure.
Being the overall most dominant gaming platform in Asia, probably not.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I see trees of green
red roses too
I see them bloom
for me and you
and I think to myself
what a wonderful world

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
"Dominating" is a bit too far but I think this strategy will work well for them, especially concerning Japanese games. Devs who might once have thought the Xbox was a pointless console to make a game for since it has basically no marketshare in Japan might turn around and reconsider now that any Xbox 3rd party "exclusive" games will be on GamePass, and GamePass is coming to the Switch. The market for these games is going to expand massively because of GamePass and xCloud. If Microsoft manages to convince Sega to make a new Jet Set Radio (for example), I'm willing to bet there will be a huge number of Switch owners especially in Japan who would subscribe to GamePass/xCloud to play it. This service imo will give games that might not have had much sales potential on the Xbox a second chance.

Feb 15, 2019
You know how twitch chat likes to spam "X OMEGALUL BOX" every time someone even mentions the word xbox? That's how the entirety of asia sees it.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
This week has been amazing, boy am I glad I get to experience yet another day of this wonderful week lol

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
You can´t just buy studios like Nintendo inhouse or Naughty Dog. You need to grow them and that takes years if not decades. There are plenty of examples that money alone can´t buy you fantastic software (see MS era Rare, 343 etc.).
Everytime I see these threads I think of the Japanese boy gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think dominate, I see no reason why they're better positioned than google, amazon, apple etc, but the strategy that they are pursuing is well suited to emerging markets in Asia and elsewhere. Particularly countries with good internet infrastructure, but no strong history of console or PC gaming.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think XCloud on Smart TVs is a pipe dream. You'd likely need a partnership with manufacturers and also different app builds for different models, all which need to be updated. Pretty sure Sony already tried it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think XCloud on Smart TVs is a pipe dream. You'd likely need a partnership with manufacturers and also different app builds for different models, all which need to be updated. Pretty sure Sony already tried it.
Doing a version for Samsung + Android TV would cover a large portion of the market. Real hard part to me is what are people gonna use for input?

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
MS was supposed to 'dominate' this gen according to resetera/old gaf. Keep making this prediction and eventually it will come true.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Hahahaha Resetera never dissapoints.
I believe in MS as much as the next man, but this seems alittle out there OP.

P.S Where is the baboon reading the paper from.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
We got some legit Nostradomus level shit here on ERA. Cant wait for all these predictions to come true, video game prophets ya'll are.

Toucan

Oct 30, 2017
ERA bubble in full effect. This is incredibly delusional, even by the standards of this board.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
You can´t just buy studios like Nintendo inhouse or Naughty Dog. You need to grow them and that takes years if not decades. There are plenty of examples that money alone can´t buy you fantastic software (see MS era Rare, 343 etc.).
What =D Sony did buy Naughty Dog. It was already well established studio with critically acclaimed games.
ERA bubble in full effect. This is incredibly delusional, even by the standards of this board.
Is it though? When 99% of posters are laughing at OP?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Naughty Dog was nowhere near where they are no when Sony bought them in the 90s.
Sure, their games have taken a new direction. For better or worse. They were acquired 2001 though, while in the middle of development for another game that would achieve critical acclaim. Console defining franchise even, unless you want to argue that Jak & Daxter wasn't worth a damn.

Last edited:

Toucan

Oct 30, 2017
Is it though? When 99% of posters are laughing at OP?

My comment was in reference to the OP only. I also don't think the "bubble", despite being very much a real thing, is something that affects most people on this board. It just seems like ERA's focus on big budget console single player games and the American market causes some people here to use their presumed knowledge of that particular space to make wild predictions about how things should or will work out in other markets they're completely unfamiliar with, often to an extent than I haven't really seen anywhere else.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
My comment was in reference to the OP only. I also don't think the "bubble", despite being very much a real thing, is something that affects most people on this board. It just seems like ERA's focus on big budget console single player games and the American market causes some people here to use their presumed knowledge of that particular space to make wild predictions about how things should or will work out in other markets they're completely unfamiliar with, often to an extent than I haven't really seen anywhere else.
Fair enough. I personally do think, that many people commenting on this topic are indeed looking at it just on home console perspective. When OP is talking about PC and mobile being the potential growth for MS in China. Minecraft with over 150 million downloads shows that they can have success in there. Of course Tencent will be the dominating force in the future too, but I see bigger opportunities for MS than the other console platform holders for huge revenue stream because they are heavily investing outside of consoles.

Last edited: