• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
I was just so sick of having piles of games I wasn't playing. Not unlike more than a few people, I tend to buy games on impulse, or because they're cheap, then just play the same games all the time. Like I had stacks of games sitting around, but I could put hundreds of hours into Pokemon games or Halo very easily.

So I got rid of nearly all of them. I kept the rare Pokemon games, Halo MCC, and uncharted 1-4. The rest are sold. I'm gonna be way more selective in my game purchasing in future, and im not buying new games till I finish the ones I have.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It is a good resolution but don't feel bad if your backlog comes back somehow. Too many good games and not enough time.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've got piles going back to the ps1, it would take hours to sell them to a store and for some reason I'm attached to them. Even though I keep having to move them to different storage places in my house and don't do anything with them.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017
happy for you. I've been selling all my old games and it's nice to see games I wasn't playing finding a new home where they'll hopefully be enjoyed and not stuck on a shelf gathering dust :)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Great .now be Abit picky when u buy them .

For me the game has to appeal to me .have metacritics score /user score above 75.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I think attachment is a funny thing. I've got such a backlog but in some strange pattern, I end up discovering games I'd mean to play years later. But if it's a weight off your mind, that's all that matters!

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't throw away my old games for some reason. I still own a shitty low quality ninja game on PS2, I have old sports games like FIFA 09 or NBA 2K6 on X360. I will obviously never touch them again, but it feels good to have them in my collection for some reason.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I did the same a couple of years ago, seemed like I was hoarding when I'd realistically never play them again. My collection took up a full room. One of the reasons I'm all digital now.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
congrats! this part would never work for me tho:
im not buying new games till I finish the ones I have.
I got more selective too, but there are still times when I'll buy a game and find I just can't get into it for whatever reason. Sometimes it's just a headspace thing. But when it comes to entertainment, I'm not about eating my vegetables. I just want what's doing it for me at that time. Right now that means playing Diablo 3 despite having already played hundreds of hours of it, rather than playing Kiwami 2, which I just wasn't feeling. C'est la vie.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you do this if you have lots of "older" games like PS1, PS2, PS3, XBox, XBox 360, Gamecube etc?

I am never going to play them again and I want to sell them but I heard ebay is awful and selling them one by one is way too much of an effort.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Good on you, dude. I was thinking of taking a good, hard look at all my games and paring them down to the ones I legitimately love. Like... I own games that I HATE. Why do I own these games? That is a weird thing, is it not?

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'am more inclined to sell games from this generation since everything is available digitally, I don't think I could sell games from my childhood that I have an attachment to.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
How do you do this if you have lots of "older" games like PS1, PS2, PS3, XBox, XBox 360, Gamecube etc?

I am never going to play them again and I want to sell them but I heard ebay is awful and selling them one by one is way too much of an effort.

Garage sale? Offer them in a lot on Offerup/letsgo/craiglist? Maybe you would get $10 for all, maybe nothing.

Thing is you simply will get like, not even pennies more like a penny on the dollar. Especially if you dont break them out seperately (who knows if they'd even sell for a dollar each even if you went to that trouble).

Maybe throw them in the dumpster?

Apr 25, 2018
I sold a bunch of unplayed games from my backlog a few years ago and it felt great. I rate every game I play out of 5 and this year I decided to only buy games that I believe will be future 5s, to keep the focus on quality over quantity.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
Just last week I sold my entire Gamecube, PS3 and GBA collection to CeX. Needed to make room in our spare room as my boys will be moving in there soon, and really needed the money. Was a crying shame, as I would have liked to hand them on to my boys if they ever develop a liking for gaming (would be nice, but I shant force my hobbies on them).

Got a cool £1200, and am now considering giving over my Wii and 360 games to make space/cash too. I'd keep a couple, but hand over the rest, along with the redundant hardware (it's all just taking up room in storage). Will keep one of my 360's for the arcade games that aren't BC, and just stick to my Wii U, Switch and XBOne.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you did good. it's always a good idea to get rid of things you have no use for. the hoarding mentality (not about just games, about anything) is suffocating and stopping it is very liberating.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Good for you. One thing I hate about PC gaming is that I can't sell my digital library. Like, I will never replay Rage 2. It is stuck in my Steam library until eternity. I wish you could do Steam credit swap with your unused games but I guess publishers never agree to that.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I couldn't do it. I sold a few dozen games/consoles over the years that I never thought I'd use again, and quickly regretted it.

I think I'll probably go all-digital starting next gen though, so the shelf space doesn't get any bigger.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for you! Getting rid of excess, in all areas of life, is a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I have a big bag full of old pc/ps2 games and a few from ps1 and ps3. Honestly i dont know what to do with it and want rather throw it all away since it wont get me much money.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been digital for years now, but I still keep my older games on a shelf.

Also I still buy PS2, DS, Wii and GC games from time to time.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I did that many years ago in a move and tbh I greatly regret ever getting rid of them as I had quite the collection. The worst is thinking about how I used to have every single notable psone jrpg in perfect condition.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'm toying doing the same but with all my cs:go skins. Should get me at least £1200.

Weird you chose to keep uncharted of all games. Find them hard to replay. Halo MCC is a must keep of course.

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
I did this quite a few years ago and it was liberating. Funny thing is since then I have changed the way I consume video games and enjoy gaming more for it.

Before, I would buy games all the time (new games and cheap old games) play them (a lot of the time rush them) then move on to the next.

With my new approach (and transition to digital) I am more careful with my purchases, I play a lot less 'filler' (games which I just play for the sake of it) and I take a lot more time in the games I enjoy (Odyssey for example).

Not claiming this is the right way, it's just how I enjoy my gaming now.

Jun 17, 2018
I had to do this with Rage 2 and Sekiro recently. I had no real time to play them and knew that I wasn't going to get to them anytime soon.

This was a learning curve for me though. Now I only buy games that I genuinely have the intention of playing rather than getting to them eventually.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Good for you. I did the same. Over the last few years. All my games now fit in a single draw and barely fill half of it.

It's liberating. I very rarely buy games on impulse and know that unless it is a rediculous offer, that games will be discounted again. E.g. I bought Yakuza 0 last year for £10 and its still sealed.

I am a massive From Soft fan, but I only bought Sekiro this month because I waited until I had time to play it (sorry yakuza).

I also acknowledged that if I regretted selling something that it would be easy to get it again. So far I have had no regrets.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm toying doing the same but with all my cs:go skins. Should get me at least £1200.

Weird you chose to keep uncharted of all games. Find them hard to replay. Halo MCC is a must keep of course.

yeah that game is like an encyclopedia lol. it's a reference tome. i dont even play it that much but i understand what a colossal value it is.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I sold mine in 2016. Made enough to buy a new gaming PC.

And just a few weeks ago I sold my PS4, Xbox One X and Switch (Switch, in anticipation of the Lite. I don't like the current model much). I simply wasn't playing them, my PS4 Pro had gone one entire year without use aside from some streaming platforms. And I had finished the games I wanted to play on the Xbox, and since now all are coming to PC I had no reason to keep it.

I really need to be more conservative towards my purchases. I've managed to hold off on games until I'm really willing to play them; I should be able to not buy hardware on a whim.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
A couple of years ago I sold my decently sized collection of Wii/WiiU games, plus the two consoles. Quite a few gems in there: Wonderful 101, the two Bayonettas, Super Mario 3D World, the two Donkeykong games, Zelda, The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Fragile... And many more. I cannot remember how much money I got but probably not as much as I could have made considering that I had to move to a different country and so I got rid of a lot of stuff.

Additionally, I've come to see that I was using gaming as a prop up to keep myself from fully falling into the depression that I had been dragging for a long time. While gaming helped, I realise that it wasn't the solution of the problem. Now I'm at a much better place, and still play, but a lot less than I used to.

itsCaz

Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I done this last weekend too.

Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy Zodiac Age [Steelbook version]
Ratchet & Clank
Bloodborne
Knowledge is Power
Battlefront 1

I got something like £22.50 in cash or could of took £33 in-store credit @ CeX