• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Am I truly insane at this point?

I was watching DKR yesterday and I haven't rewatched it since seeing it in theaters. The film has huge huge issues:
- The action choreography is laughable.
- Some of the dialogue is just ridiculouso
- That death scene so bad
- Cops rushing heavily armed terrorists ummm what are you thinking gents?

But... I am still so completely engrossed in the film and the outcome in a way that I haven't been to any degree with any other superhero movie since. Bale is excellent. Alfred is amazing (I even buy him leaving Bruce/Batman). Bane is perfection. The TWIST is excellent and came out of nowhere. Catwoman is better than I would have ever thought possible. Her first action scene in the bar is great choreography and it makes me wonder why everything else is just so bad. Joseph Gordon is also handled really well and the final payoff with him as Robin again is just a great reveal.

The buildup to Batman fighting Bane is the most important action piece of the film and it thankfully doesn't disappoint. The dialogue in that scene. "Lets not stand on ceremony here...Mr Wayne" and how he systematically dismantles Batman is heartbreaking.

Bruce in the pitt working up the strength to get out while Gotham crumbles. The music - CHANTING RISE - That gives me chills every time.

The end with Alfred thinking he failed to save him only to see he didn't later on just ends the movie on a nice high note. I don't know. Am I crazy guys?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
As you fucking should!

Another great film by Nolan, it only received more criticism because it came out after TDK. But, there are many parts of TDKR that eclipse TDK.

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017
No you're not crazy. TDKR is the product of Nolan's vision. That alone separates it from most modern superhero films because it can stand alone without having to build up on something larger in the universe

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to know what superhero movies you consider better than the TDKR. Assuming "the majority" doesn't mean every other superhero movie.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a very good movie that most people love that, for some reason, is completely hated by this community. Like, I've been around and talked to many different communities, and this (and NeoGAF before it) is the only place where it is considered a bad movie.

I love it, and found it to be the most emotionally engrossing film in the entire superhero genre. It's not the best one, but it's definitely one of my favorites.

It's not as consistent as TDK, but I like it better overall. Mainly because Bane actually accomplishes shit while the Joker in TDK, as amazing as Heath Ledger is, doesn't do shit besides troll people the whole movie.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie coming from TDK was a huuuuuuuge disappointment.

Is like going from BvS to JL but worse since TDK was actually incredible.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I also rewatched the trilogy and my very short thoughts of all 3:

Begins is super underrated. Arguably the best one. The whole first half with the training and back and forth is magical.

TDK we all know how that is. I still think the entire rooftop sequence at the end is the best superhero movie scene of all time, not because it's amazingly written but because it was all well-earned.

TDKR got great reviews and most people liked it but for some reason I still feel like it was underrated. The build up to Batman's comeback, the fall, and then the rebuild back up was brilliant. The ending had a lot of feels. That "Anyone can be a hero..." line was fantastic. Along with many others. Everything with Alfred was so good. Bane was just the best.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was the weakest of the trilogy but yes. In the talk of how to save DCEU some fingers are pointed at Nolan's Batman as an issue, but this is because the trilogy does not belong to rabbid fandom and are the result of a good director's vision, Nolan wasn't seeking to set the tone for a crossover, they are his films, that's why they are strong and taken seriously.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
After Ben Affleck's Batman, the dark knight rises looks amazing. It's like how Return of the Jedi looks great after the prequels.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
It's a very good movie that most people love that, for some reason, is completely hated by this community. Like, I've been around and talked to many different communities, and this (and NeoGAF before it) is the only place where it is considered a bad movie.

I love it, and found it to be the most emotionally engrossing film in the entire superhero genre. It's not the best one, but it's definitely one of my favorites.

When Talia is talking about Bane as he lays there crippled by pain there is just so much respect that Nolan brings to the characters that isn't even attempted by any other superhero franchise. Its sooooo good.

After Ben Affleck's Batman, the dark knight rises look amazing. It's like how Return of the Jedi looks great after the prequels.

This is such a good point and something I didn't think of because I seriously love ROTJ. I think the end fight with Vader is incredible but it is only upon reflection after dealing with all the prequels that it has risen so high. I didn't even consider that.

Aphexian

Oct 26, 2017
You can like what you want to like, duder. Personally, I didn't like TDKR and The Dark Knight is the pinnacle of comicbook cinema despite it's flaws. Though I feel like Batman Begins used it's soundtrack much better that TDK.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I agree with you. Even though I think its the weakest in the trilogy, its better than all the dreck in the DCEU and almost all the dreck in the MCU. From the MCU, I only think The Winter Soldier is a better movie and maybe the original Iron Man.

And like you said, I agree the movie has many problems and honestly it might be one of Nolan's worst films, certainly in his bottom three or four, but it is still a movie made with a coherent vision in mind and tries to rise (hehe) above being popcorn entertainment. Unlike the MCU movies, it tries.

But to be honest, the fact that TDR is still better than most cape flicks is not because its an excellent movie, its because most superhero movies are artistically bankrupt and soulless commercial products.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally with you OP. I acknowledge the criticisms but they don't really factor into my enjoyment. I thought it was a great ending to a great trilogy.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah I still like TDKR a lot. That 1st Bane fight was nuts.
Bane destroying Batman is so damn good, we rarely see heroes left broken like that, in most CBM when the heroes get their ass beaten they regroup and win the final battle, Bruce had to rebuild himself, Bane broke him so badly he wasn't Batman anymore, he was just Mr. Wayne..

Oct 25, 2017
You're not insane. Even though its not the best Nolan batman it better than most other Superhero films. I'd take TDKR everytime over half the marvel movies

Oct 27, 2017
When Talia is talking about Bane as he lays there crippled by pain there is just so much respect that Nolan brings to the characters that isn't even attempted by any other superhero franchise. Its sooooo good.

This is such a good point and something I didn't think of because I seriously love ROTJ. I think the end fight with Vader is incredible but it is only upon reflection after dealing with all the prequels that it has risen so high. I didn't even consider that.

At first I didn't buy the Bane/Talia relationship, but Bane's eyes and the music completely sold it for me five seconds later. A very underrated scene.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
On its own it's kind of mid-tier, enjoyable but the worst of the trilogy. Bane isn't that compelling of a villain to me, and the whole thing just feels like the moment where the trilogy went overboard with the dark and brooding atmosphere to the point where it didn't even really feel like a superhero movie. That being said, it was really super satisfying as an ending to the trilogy, everything felt like it came together well in the last act. Additionally everything that worked about the first two (pretty much the entirety of the cast and the plotting of everything) works here too.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Among all the issues the movie has, the worst offense is undercutting the importance of bane. Making him an underling instead of the mastermind completely obliterates how great he could've been. Just an awful decision on Nolan's part.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes

The Dark Knight Trilogy is better than any other superhero movie around, by far.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
TDKR was the weakest of the trilogy, but that still puts it in the upper echelon of the genre IMO

Anyone coming after Ledger was going to have a hard time, but I think Hardy's Bane is still a very memorable villain. His onscreen presence can't be denied and I find the juxtaposition of his brute physique with the cultured speech was interesting. Plus, it did Bane right: more than just a big bruiser, but also a clever opponent

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty weak, especially compared to Begins and Knight. BUT, it still has a better villain than 99% of other comic movies, even with the ending kind of pissing on him.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
meh, didn't care for it tbh but then again I'm not a big fan of Nolan's work in general. plus bane was laughably awful.

Batman Begins was great though

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I never understood most of the hate. I think, like mentioned above, a lot of the complaints are because it came right after TDK, which is pretty much perfext

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree with this at all. TDKR is a truly terrible movie and a huge disappointment after BB and TDK.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

It's not as consistent as TDK, but I like it better overall. Mainly because Bane actually accomplishes shit while the Joker in TDK, as amazing as Heath Ledger is, doesn't do shit besides troll people the whole movie.
I mean, it's not surprising that communities full of ubernerds are the only ones getting hilariousy angry and upset over geek films.

Step into any Jurassic World thread ever to see an example.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I love watching Bane on screen played by Hardy. Love each line.

After Ben Affleck's Batman, the dark knight rises looks amazing. It's like how Return of the Jedi looks great after the prequels.

What? Dark Knight Rises released to critical acclaim (maybe not as high as TDK, but high).

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Am I truly insane at this point?

I was watching DKR yesterday and I haven't rewatched it since seeing it in theaters. The film has huge huge issues:
- The action choreography is laughable.
- Some of the dialogue is just ridiculouso
- That death scene so bad
- Cops rushing heavily armed terrorists ummm what are you thinking gents?

But... I am still so completely engrossed in the film and the outcome in a way that I haven't been to any degree with any other superhero movie since. Bale is excellent. Alfred is amazing (I even buy him leaving Bruce/Batman). Bane is perfection. The TWIST is excellent and came out of nowhere. Catwoman is better than I would have ever thought possible. Her first action scene in the bar is great choreography and it makes me wonder why everything else is just so bad. Joseph Gordon is also handled really well and the final payoff with him as Robin again is just a great reveal.

The buildup to Batman fighting Bane is the most important action piece of the film and it thankfully doesn't disappoint. The dialogue in that scene. "Lets not stand on ceremony here...Mr Wayne" and how he systematically dismantles Batman is heartbreaking.

Bruce in the pitt working up the strength to get out while Gotham crumbles. The music - CHANTING RISE - That gives me chills every time.

The end with Alfred thinking he failed to save him only to see he didn't later on just ends the movie on a nice high note. I don't know. Am I crazy guys?
Honestly the one thing they got right where marvel movies and DC movies fail at is It had a GREAT FUCKING VILLAIN they actually let the villian shine that made the hero better
You always need a great heel to make a face look good

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because it's a great movie first and a superhero movie second. It's not just there to sell toys and create more franchises.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a movie I love, but I was moved by it as it is the conclusion to arguably the most interesting superhero story arcs in the last half century.

The marvel stuff seems overly slick and focus tested to death. Maybe im just old.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but the movie breaks irreparably every time they send every single cop down one sewer hole. From that point on, I just can't take it seriously.

Oct 28, 2017
It's better than the vast majority of completely forgettable villain of the week-tier comic book movies but there's certainly better.

Watchmen/Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/Man of Steel/Batman v Superman/X-Men 1&2/First Class/Days of Future Past/Logan

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was the weakest of the trilogy but yes. In the talk of how to save DCEU some fingers are pointed at Nolan's Batman as an issue, but this is because the trilogy does not belong to rabbid fandom and are the result of a good director's vision, Nolan wasn't seeking to set the tone for a crossover, they are his films, that's why they are strong and taken seriously.

It's more than that, it's about what Nolan actually cares about when it comes to these movies. Nolan doesn't give a shit about fan service or setting up some large universe or super-bad ass action sequences. Nolan cares mostly about the characters. In that way, the Nolan Batman trilogy is similar to Raimi's Spidey films, both are primarily focused on the characters of their universe and the drama that surrounds them. The big moments in Nolan and Raimi's films are emotional ones, often with minimal action, if at all. It's why Spider-Man 2 is such a great movie despite Peter putting the suit away for a large portion of the movie. And, why TDKR is great despite the fact that "Batman" doesn't show up until 50 minutes into the film. Nolan just wanted to tell a great story about the character of Bruce Wayne. And, he pretty much nailed it.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. I liked the movie. Not my favorite of the trilogy, but an enjoyable movie overall. People act like the film is fucking unwatchable lol. There's far worse superhero movies.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the superhero genre has still not come close to matching the heights it reached in 1996 with the release of the phantom.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
If you said The Dark Knight I would have agreed but The Dark Knight Rises?.....yeah no.