• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
RCG looks great, the animations have these neat little parts to them that just makes the whole game pop.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
This is the kind of dogshit you get when just enough people beg MS for a revival but not enough for them to genuinely believe people actually want it.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Sure, but is this the game they're clamoring for?

This just seems like a...
giphy.gif

...situation.

Different people hold Rare titles and their perceived value differently. Did those same people really jones for a Killer Instinct sequel made by a bad developer?

No. But it worked. It was successful. It brought back relevance in Rare's impressive ass catalogue. Will Battletoads do the same?

Probably not. But it's better to throw a dud out than leave Rare's catalogue rotting in the aether. Banjo, Battletoads and KI are now apparently their Marquee titles to brand about and that's the way it is I guess

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Battletoads needs to work on being more legible. There's too much going on and it's hard to follow the action, which is crazy because the gameplay looks hella slow at the same time.

Mix the sound cues better. Make the characters stand out more against the backgrounds. Work on the hitstop and key frames. Try to find the satisfying percussive combo rhythm of the NES and SNES games.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I don't really see the difference in speed between this and Streets of Rage 4.

Bigger issue for me is how chaotic and messy it looks when all 3 players converge on the same area.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
If you told me Battletoads was one of those "24 hour marathon" competition games, I would assume they all got a healthy nights sleep in.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Different people hold Rare titles and their perceived value differently. Did those same people really jones for a Killer Instinct sequel made by a bad developer?

No. But it worked. It was successful. It brought back relevance in Rare's impressive ass catalogue. Will Battletoads do the same?

Probably not. But it's better to throw a dud out than leave Rare's catalogue rotting in the aether. Banjo, Battletoads and KI are now apparently their Marquee titles to brand about and that's the way it is I guess

I guess I just didn't realize that Battletoads was held in the same regard as Banjo and Killer Instinct. Always seemed very niche to me.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day, it's going to live or die by it's gameplay but oof, yeah, that initial gut reaction when I first saw it of, "god this art style is really unappealing to me" is always there whenever I see anything new. I hope the game is great but yeah, it's not even that it doesn't hold up to the styles nailed in those other games; it's just really kind offputting all on it's own.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Gritty Eastmann-style anthropormorphic character designs don't sell anymore. It's not the 80s anymore.
See, I'd call BS on this, because the two recent prior appearances you named (KI, Shovel Knight) did more to cite the Toads' older appearances and art style just fine.

If KI's Rash looked like he came out of a typical Nickelodeon cartoon, like the style pervasive in this upcoming title, I don't think he would've been received nearly as well.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day, it's going to live or die by it's gameplay but oof, yeah, that initial gut reaction when I first saw it of, "god this art style is really unappealing to me" is always there whenever I see anything new. I hope the game is great but yeah, it's not even that it doesn't hold up to the styles nailed in those other games; it's just really kind offputting all on it's own.

It won't even live or die by its gameplay is the gameplay doesn't match up with peoples' expectations of what a Battletoads game should be. Like, did Nuts & Bolts live and die by its gameplay? No, it died because it wasn't what people wanted from a Banjo game, irrespective of whether it was actually fun or interesting.

Combat was never the primary or sole focus of Battletoads--especially not the NES game, which is the only one people really think about--so the depth or even the basic competency of the combat will only matter so much if there's nothing else going on.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This is the first time I've looked at RCG and I am super impressed by the pixel animation. LizardCube's Dragon's Trap remake was my favorite game of 2017, and I've been vaguely hoping they arrange Yuzo Koshiro music for small chamber ensembles since I've heard about SoR4, but it's not really been on my radar otherwise. "It's in that genre where you walk forward and press buttons real fast, right? Whatever."

RCG looks so fluid that I might care about the beat-em-up genre for the first time in my life.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
It won't even live or die by its gameplay is the gameplay doesn't match up with peoples' expectations of what a Battletoads game should be. Like, did Nuts & Bolts live and die by its gameplay? No, it died because it wasn't what people wanted from a Banjo game, irrespective of whether it was actually fun or interesting.

Combat was never the primary or sole focus of Battletoads--especially not the NES game, which is the only one people really think about--so the depth or even the basic competency of the combat will only matter so much if there's nothing else going on.

If you say so

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like a lot of the gameplay/movement mechanics in the Battletoads gameplay (Whenever someone stumbles into them, anyway). I think the bigger issue are a combination of Pimple's freaking gigantic model that regularly obstructs entire character models whenever he's doing literally anything in the foreground, and the incredibly soft blob shadows which are functionally useless whenever there's any sort of background details like soft shadows or puddles.

otipDvc.png

C'mon, you guys. Give me a Shadow Opacity slider so I can make my shadow look like the oil slick under Rash, and/or remove these puddles and oil slicks so I can actually see my character's shadow in combat and better judge my character's position on screen.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeahb I pretty much agree on all fronts. RCG looks to be a blast on all fronts, and I feel like SoR4's emphasis on juggles and combos is probably going ro make for an interesting game. Battletoads just looks a bit lacking compared to them.

All three have great looking visuals, though.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Will judge the games when they actually come out. Most likely will try all 3. Beat-em-ups are short anyways.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's much more true to the originals that SOR4.

How and which originals? Battletoads was partly a platformer, with a gimmick approach to level design, with ever changing stages, in addition to the beat'em up sections. The new one is quite a different take on the franchise at least from the original.

Yes the transformation attacks look REALLY cool in motion but they seem to cover up where exactly your strikes are hitting in relation to your opponent's hurtbox, and they overstay their welcome too long which can block out your teammates visibility. In MP games like this, ensuring that your CO-OP buddy isn't obstructed during gameplay is super crucial to beat-em-up game feel.

At least it doesn't seem like you can hit your buddy in Battletoads. You can in SoR4, so they have to extra careful with visibility.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean.... to be "generic" you have to have other games in your genre... I can't think of any game that looks like it. Even wayforwards own stuff isn't in that pixel style.
Oh yeah, we're just drowning in all these high school delinquent girl beatemups.
I can't swing a dead cat without hitting all these high school delinquent girl beatemups! There's just too many!

Oct 25, 2017

KI xbox one was amazing, but you could tell it was legit as fuck as soon as they showed gameplay footage of it. The game was amazing on an audiovisual level, not to mention how well it played. I don't think battletoads is to the same standard, which is sad because that was a launch game.

I can't swing a dead cat without hitting all these high school delinquent girl beatemups! There's just too many!
For real. lol

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
For me, I've wanted a follow up to the Battletoads arcade game. It had all the personality and graphics I had hoped to see come to the consoles some day but it never happened.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
How and which originals? Battletoads was partly a platformer, with a gimmick approach to level design, with ever changing stages, in addition to the beat'em up sections. The new one is quite a different take on the franchise at least from the original.
Ah yeah I just mean graphically. It looks like a perfect realisation of the original games' style, which was a pixel based take on 'wacky' cartoons.

SOR4 looks more like a modern Comix Zone in the same way.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it looks fine. i mean... it's battletoads. a handful of goofy ass, good but not amazing games

not particularly a fan of that 2010s abstract look that's bog standard with kids shows now but it's obviously meant to bring in a younger crowd at the forefront. not like there's throngs of 35 year olds unironically pining for new battletoads, not outside our bubble anyway

Last edited:

Deleted member 23965

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2D animation discussion has been absolutely ruined on the internet thanks to nihilistic image board culture

Everything that doesn't look like Vanillaware or CPS3 sprites = "F L A S H G A M E"
Reminds me of most modern cartoons like Dexter, SpongeBob, Powerpuff Girls, etc. I am a fan of classic stuff like Cuphead, old Hanna Barbara cartoons. This art style/animation just looks cheap to me.

Nov 23, 2017
OP is right but I think out of those 3 Battletoads will get the most iterations/be fixed to fans likings essentially. It has an actual first party publisher's weight behind it.

Nov 23, 2017
2D animation discussion has been absolutely ruined on the internet thanks to nihilistic image board culture

Everything that doesn't look like Vanillaware or CPS3 sprites = "F L A S H G A M E"
This is the damn truth though. In fact it really mirrors the same kind of shit hot takes in TV cartoon discussion. People talking about CalArts because its easy to trick people into thinking you know something if you say "flash is bad."

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Streets of rage looks so similar to the originals that it bores me a bit. I can get the Battletoads gameplay looks a little slow, but these kind of things you only really know when you play the game.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While it does not look great, it does play well and is animated solidly. Plenty of combat options, including regular combo's, specials, grabs etc and they all flow together well. Also 3 player is good fun and a little hectic in places. In reality, its a very old-school beat em up. Nothing amazingly new but a solid brawler anyway,

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i feel like they slowed it down so you can see the animations (which are nice) but its just way too slow that it doesnt look fun imo. also not a fan of the artstyle
also hard to tell whats going on in the gameplay footage

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
In this thread I found out about River City Girls and I love how it looks like, so I'll hijack it for a quick question:

Does it have at least 2 people online coop?

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Battletoads gives off the feeling that half the dev team just graduated college, and this is their first attempt at a non-school-project game. Just very rough and amateurish. Other two look solid.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell, I didn't even know about the existence of River City Girls, it looks amazing, and it looks like it feel quite a bit better to play than the other 2, but SoR4 still looks really nice