• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Battletoads needs to work on being more legible. There's too much going on and it's hard to follow the action, which is crazy because the gameplay looks hella slow at the same time.

Mix the sound cues better. Make the characters stand out more against the backgrounds. Work on the hitstop and key frames. Try to find the satisfying percussive combo rhythm of the NES and SNES games.

Yeah this is my main issue with it, even though everything is slow it's really hard to keep track of what is going on. It's like they tried to do a Earthworm Jim mixed with Cuphead style and it is just too much

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
wow, streets of rage looks beautiful...

battletoads looks good, too. I agree that they do move really slow.

Rivercity looks cute I guess. Streets of rage is my top pick out of these three, easily.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got to play Battletoads at e3 and I can say it does feel very slow, but I think the demo is set to beginner mode which is why there are so few enemies on screen. The gameplay to me felt like it's begging to have a ton of characters on screen and it just being chaos. I can't remember what attack I used but there is some form of dash that started a small combo and I started dashing around killing everyone.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft has done an awful job at presenting this game. The demo looks like a barebones prototype almost, focusing entirely on combat, which isn't going to do you any favors if the only footage if put out there is game journalists trying it out for the first time. And the only trailer they put out is just super obnoxious.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Battletoads always seemed more like a meme to me than something people actually want, but I guess I'm old and have no idea what young people are into these days.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I think Microsoft has done an awful job at presenting this game. The demo looks like a barebones prototype almost, focusing entirely on combat, which isn't going to do you any favors if the only footage if put out there is game journalists trying it out for the first time. And the only trailer they put out is just super obnoxious.

So far when it comes to a classic IP or anything from back catalog they seem to always drop the ball. Voo-doo vince, crackdown, now battletoads. Like can we look at these the same way Nintendo and Sony look at theirs please?

How hard was it to look at classic battletoads look at all the Indie beat'em ups and some of the remakes of classic games from the same era like Wonder Boy, that were remade, and then look at this and say, hey the art looks nice?

They couldn't go with something like Streets of rage 4, or jesus more like the indie beat'em ups that have pixel art? I care more about how it plays, then if the colors pop out of the screen to give me a seizure.

Streets of rage 4 looks great, but after seeing the combat, looks like it plays the way it should based on previous entries. Even better that you can juggle combo's and combine some things.

Battletoads always seemed more like a meme to me than something people actually want, but I guess I'm old and have no idea what young people are into these days.

BATTLETOADS is cut from the same cloth as Double dragon, streets of rage, final fight. Double dragon had a sequel game that came out couple years ago that was god awful. Streets of rage 4 so far looks to change that.

Wonder Boy in Monster world seriously shows how you can do a faithful adaption with great art, without sacrificing gameplay.

There are so many good indie beat'em ups out there, like how do you fuck up battletoads?

Everything seems wrong with the way combat plays out frame wise, even how combo's are done. I feel original battletoads was a mix of double dragon meets Turtles in time.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the game looks horrible on all counts.

It's missing the point of Battletoads on so many levels and feels so cheap. So far all we've seen are totally flat rectangle-shaped non-interactive fight arenas, one after the next, rinse and repeat, with enemies cheaply being teleported in.

Previous Battletoads games had interesting and varied level formations, designs, and set pieces. Enemies coming out by breaking through walls, or rising pieces of ground. You'd have slopes, things to hang on from, pits, morphing level geometry, collapsing bridges, items to grab, fences to climb on, various hazards to avoid. And I could go on and on.

Here? Nah man just plain arenas with enemies that teleport in and so much mess going on at the same time that you can't even make out what's going on. There are so many sound effects playing at the same time that you can't even hear the music.

I have zero interest whatsoever.

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
Battletoads' art style is absolutely horrific and none of the gameplay footage looks remotely fun.
River City Girls looks like it'll be part of a different genre entirely with all of that RPG/progression junk.
SoR4 has potential to be good.

Buy The Ninja Warriors Once Again

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I haven't been following the Battletoads reboot at all since it was announced because I didn't play the original as a kid and I have no nostalgia for it, so holy shit was I not prepared for that Youtube like bar ratio when I clicked on the video. People are absolutely murdering this game in the comments section. I had no idea it was being received so negatively.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I have no issue with the look, but I wonder if they just should have got the developer who is doing streets of rage 4. Those guys I believe were the same ones who redid Monster world with high praise and the well drawn animation.

Who's the developer making battletoads? and what is their track record?

Looked it up and it's Dlala studios, and they shipped so far this game:

Now I don't mind the character designs. But I wish they were more hand drawn like in streets of rage 4, or went more sprite with it like rover city girls.

The most striking thing I believe is what the OP is talking about it the gameplay, in terms of hit detection and possible lag in how slow your punch/kick action is on screen compared the other examples.

If you really want to know about the history of Dlala, you should read this:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Streets of rage 4 looks great, but after seeing the combat, looks like it plays the way it should based on previous entries. Even better that you can juggle combo's and combine some things.
To be honest the combat in Battletoads seems more complex than SOR4's. Looks like you have even further juggle opportunities, you can dash, you can evade, you have a secondary attack, you have charged attacks, you have a launcher and even got a DMC4-inspired move where you can pull enemies towards you with your tongue (or push yourself towards them). SOR4 is more like a classic beat 'em up, and BT seems more modeled after all the Devil May Cry-ish 2D games that have been released in the last 10~ years.

The thing is with three players on screen the action is totally chaotic, especially with the art style they've gone with. I would stop showcasing the three player action, or even better just make it 2P. It doesn't help that in this video the players are literally mashing buttons the entire time even when they don't have enemies in front of them, which probably makes the game look like even more of a mess. The video in the OP is genuinely bad, but it's not because of the game itself, at least not entirely. The players are being almost totally mindless.

I'm not convinced BT is actually awful, the combat system seems to have some thought behind it. The one thing that is definitely a terrible choice is that you can't attack enemies when they're down, which was CLASSIC Battletoads. Who doesn't remember running and punting enemies off-screen, or hammering them down in the ground in the old games? Even worse, in the new BT they spend a heck of a lot of time laying on the ground, being invincible, while you stand around basically not being able to do a damn thing, waiting for them to stand up. This shit's just poor. If you don't want to implement down attacks in the game that's fine, but make them stand up immediately then. This is one of the bigger problems with the game, that it doesn't resemble Battletoads mechanically or visually.

Unlike most, I don't have a single problem with the art style, but they really need to be more judicious in how they show the game next. If they actually have some platforming in the game, they should definitely show that, and they should try to make the combat a little more Battletoads-like by putting down attacks in the game, at least.

BATTLETOADS is cut from the same cloth as Double dragon, streets of rage, final fight. Double dragon had a sequel game that came out couple years ago that was god awful. Streets of rage 4 so far looks to change that.
Double Dragon 4 is terrible (if that's that's game you were referring to), but Double Dragon Neon is great.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
To be honest the combat in Battletoads seems more complex than SOR4's. Looks like you have even further juggle opportunities, you can dash, you can evade, you have a secondary attack, you have charged attacks, you have a launcher and even got a DMC4-inspired move where you can pull enemies towards you with your tongue (or push yourself towards them). SOR4 is more like a classic beat 'em up, and BT seems more modeled after all the Devil May Cry-ish 2D games that have been released in the last 10~ years.

The thing is with three players on screen the action is totally chaotic, especially with the art style they've gone with. I would stop showcasing the three player action, or even better just make it 2P. It doesn't help that in this video the players are literally mashing buttons the entire time even when they don't have enemies in front of them, which probably makes the game look like even more of a mess. The video in the OP is genuinely bad, but it's not because of the game itself, at least not entirely. The players are being almost totally mindless.

I'm not convinced BT is actually awful, the combat system seems to have some thought behind it. The one thing that is definitely a terrible choice is that you can't attack enemies when they're down, which was CLASSIC Battletoads. Who doesn't remember running and punting enemies off-screen, or hammering them down in the ground in the old games? Even worse, in the new BT they spend a heck of a lot of time laying on the ground, being invincible, while you stand around basically not being able to do a damn thing, waiting for them to stand up. This shit's just poor. If you don't want to implement down attacks in the game that's fine, but make them stand up immediately then. This is one of the bigger problems with the game, that it doesn't resemble Battletoads mechanically or visually.

Unlike most, I don't have a single problem with the art style, but they really need to be more judicious in how they show the game next. If they actually have some platforming in the game, they should definitely show that, and they should try to make the combat a little more Battletoads-like by putting down attacks in the game, at least.

Double Dragon 4 is terrible (if that's that's game you were referring to), but Double Dragon Neon is great.

NEon was awful too.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Nah Neon is great. Plays well, feels punchy, has an awesome soundtrack and some neat things of its own, like the gleam mechanic and being able to customize your character with different abilities.

I played it and unfortunately own it on psn ON ps3. It was shit, punching felt floaty, and seeing same guys over and over was really a bummer.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, you said it looked like "a cheap flash game". You're being called out because nobody likes uninformed, reductive takes on art.
I can't help the fact that it evokes that feeling. It visually reminds me of a flash game. Going after the reason isn't any better and isn't going to change my mind. It is possible to simply disagree without going all Highlander "there can be only one!" opinion.

Calling out a hacky, meaningless way to describe art is being a clown now?
Being combative and trying to start an argument because you don't like how someone phrased something is, yes. You can discuss things calmly, which unfortunately seems to be a skill lost on you as well. He feels I'm not giving it a fair shake, and that's fine, but being combative and argumentative is unnecessary. An actual discourse could have been had.

To both of you, I'm not here to argue with anybody. This was never something worth arguing about and it's baffling to me that you think it is. I cut it with OP because it was breaking down fast. Trying to restart it to keep things going isn't the best route to go and it's honestly childish. I'm going to leave it here with you two as well. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Oct 28, 2017
Like I said, this Battletoads should aim for a speed similar to the arcade game. Hopefully they're taking criticism from these showings to make the game better

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Nah Neon is great. Plays well, feels punchy, has an awesome soundtrack and some neat things of its own, like the gleam mechanic and being able to customize your character with different abilities.
Neon is the best DD game in my opinion. Mango Tango!

As a huge Battletoads fan, I am worried about this game, specifically its art style. I wish they went for something a bit grittier. Streets of Rage 4 has colors that really "pop" but it still feels like SoR to me (although some definitely disagree with that sentiment based off some of the responses I've seen...) This game looks wonky from top to bottom. I will likely still try it out as a big fan, but out of the three games in the OP, it's the one I'm looking forward to the least, and I've never even played a River City game before.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I'm no fan from any of the three, but I actually think Battletoads looks the best among them. Its a very interesting and striking cartoonish look. Streets of Rage looks good as well, though a bit more generic. River City Girls doesn't look that great, its the same pixel art aesthetic that has been done to death already.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
The art direction is superior to me with Battletoads out of the rest listed. Also, its a beat em up adventure with scale. If the devs keep it true to its core adding theor own charm then this could be a grand slam.

Im definitely looking forward to it.

Apr 24, 2018
Personally, I'll be happy if even one of these three games evokes the feelings of old school beat 'em ups and I have a lot of fun with it. Streets of Rage 4 and River City Girls both look promising so far, but if I only had one horse to back in the race, I think it will be Streets of Rage...I have very little faith in Battletoads at the moment, which is a shame, since it was one of the games I've eagerly been anticipating for a long time.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All three of them look pretty good to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure they can tweak the walking speed to make it less slow in Battletoads, but I really liked the cartoony graphics and all the various "morphing" they did.

SOR4 had a baller soundtrack and cool fighting, but the visual style isn't my preference compared to the other two. Still looks pretty cool, but I'd rank it third.

From those three videos, RCG is the one that I'm most interested in. It looks funny, fast, I enjoy the pixel art style, and I like the voice acting (from what I could hear behind the people playing the game). I also love the random Kunio pop ups, but I'm also someone who had a Kunio avatar back 15+ years ago lol.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree. Compared to Streets of Rage 4 and River City Girls, Battletoads 2019 is looking bad. Not exactly "Fresh poop from a butt" ugly, but there's just something about it that looks bizarrely off.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
River City Girls looks far ahead of either of them in the gameplay department.

Unrelated, but the walking animations in SoR4 really bother me. They're so rigid, walking totally upright with their shoulders back and chest pushed out... like they're about to perform a bench press. It's really strange for them to keep dropping their arms as well. They should maintain a fighting posture throughout. Game looks okay though.

I agree that Battletoads looks mediocre at best. The speed is so slow, it appears the most simply, and the art style looks less than stellar... like a cheap flash game. It seems to lack charm.

To be fair, almost everyone in almost every beat em up walks forward out of their normal idle stance. The only ones that stick out to me, from memory, are Haggar and maybe some NES-era games like the Kunio series where the animations are very small anyway. It's practically a staple of the genre.
2D animation discussion has been absolutely ruined on the internet thanks to nihilistic image board culture

Everything that doesn't look like Vanillaware or CPS3 sprites = "F L A S H G A M E"
To be fair on this comment, though, it does have a very flat, uninteresting look to a lot of it. The backgrounds are very static with maybe one or two details in some small places, and then you see things like steam rising from the floor vents and having no detail whatsoever. Anything that does animate has that bouncy feel that's adhering to the "rules" of the Disney animation principles, but not the spirit of them (which is a common trend to see, even the devs for BT mention them), so it comes off as stilted in some ways. I'm absolutely not a fan.

SOR4 looks interesting, though I think that everyone could maybe a 25% width reduction because everyone just looks so damned wide in every animation and individual frame. Not thick, just too wide.

RCG I'm biased because I'll eat anything WayForward gives me (even the iffy stuff like SSS) and the Kunio series is fantastic, so it's one of their matches made in heaven, for me. It animates well, but in a more modern way with the spritework and it at least looks like there's good feedback in the gameplay. BT looks like it has none of said feedback, which was one of my biggest issues with games like Castle Crashers and some of the worse beat em ups where everything just kind of floats (this includes the original SOR games, to an extent).

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, almost everyone in almost every beat em up walks forward out of their normal idle stance. The only ones that stick out to me, from memory, are Haggar and maybe some NES-era games like the Kunio series where the animations are very small anyway. It's practically a staple of the genre.
All the ones I played growing up had them stay in a battle stance, and even the few more recent ones I've played (Scot Pilgrim). To be fair, they were NES games so your point stands as I largely skipped the genre the following generations. However, I wasn't thinking of it in that regard.

Just the idea of being in a fight and repeatedly putting your hands down is unnatural in itself, so I find it preferable for characters in these types of games to walk in a fighting stance. The postured walking stance in SoR4 is a power stance, but IMO it makes it look a bit stiff as it's more what people do when about to power lift, or in a confrontation, when they try to square their shoulders and make themselves look bigger. Typically it's more of a stationary stance. That in tandem with the hands dropping repeatedly in a fight, it stands out to me. I'm sure the game's good, but it just struck me as an odd decision, even knowing it has precedent it's a bit jarring to me.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
All the ones I played growing up had them stay in a battle stance, and even the few more recent ones I've played (Scot Pilgrim). To be fair, they were NES games so your point stands as I largely skipped the genre the following generations. However, I wasn't thinking of it in that regard.

Just the idea of being in a fight and repeatedly putting your hands down is unnatural in itself, so I find it preferable for characters in these types of games to walk in a fighting stance. The postured walking stance in SoR4 is a power stance, but IMO it makes it look a bit stiff as it's more what people do when about to power lift, or in a confrontation, when they try to square their shoulders and make themselves look bigger. Typically it's more of a stationary stance. That in tandem with the hands dropping repeatedly in a fight, it stands out to me. I'm sure the game's good, but it just struck me as an odd decision, even knowing it has precedent it's a bit jarring to me.
Part of it feels like the technology going against the situation. Like Kunio they just animated the legs moving so you kind of bounce along in the same stance all the time. In, say, Final Fight, you're in a fighting stance all the time until you walk, then you're just walking from place to place outside of a fighting stance because nobody is there, but there's not, say, a proximity detection to move your legs differently when an enemy is nearby, so they just use the same walking stance all the time. I could see a game having some sort of mechanic for that to where it affects your attacks, even, where if an enemy is like a space or two nearby you're in your stance but outside of that you're walking and your punches come out slower or just differently from a hands-down idle position while walking (like a sort of back-handed knuckle or slap or weird kick).

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The final product might be great, but even I have to admit they've done a really bad job of showing this. So far pretty much all we've seen is some mediocre gameplay of what seems to be a painfully easy tutorial stage with barely any enemies coming at you, being played by people who spend most of their time whiffing attacks. It reminds me of a lot of the early Team Sonic Racing marketing where the game always was on the slowest speed with none of the team mechanics being utilized to the fullest.

They should just put out a developer deep dive video where they're playing on a challenging difficulty and making quick work of enemies with the various moves at their disposal to dispel the claims of slow gameplay instead of letting negativity dominate the conversation. People who hate the art style will never be satisfied, but if the "it's slow and boring" narrative sets in it'll be hard to shake off even if it ends up not being remotely true.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of it feels like the technology going against the situation. Like Kunio they just animated the legs moving so you kind of bounce along in the same stance all the time. In, say, Final Fight, you're in a fighting stance all the time until you walk, then you're just walking from place to place outside of a fighting stance because nobody is there, but there's not, say, a proximity detection to move your legs differently when an enemy is nearby, so they just use the same walking stance all the time. I could see a game having some sort of mechanic for that to where it affects your attacks, even, where if an enemy is like a space or two nearby you're in your stance but outside of that you're walking and your punches come out slower or just differently from a hands-down idle position while walking (like a sort of back-handed knuckle or slap or weird kick).
A system like that would be really interesting if implemented. Adding more depth or just animation differences could add a lot. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a game in this genre that does of have your characters stances change based on proximity. There must be, right? I know I've seen it in other games, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Talking about the combat tho. That seems fine by me. I agree the walking speed can be upped more abit. Easy fix i guess.
Just as easy as fixing the shadows so you don't hit air so often because you can't really locate where you and the enemy are. Let's hope they adress these things before launch.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I agree. Not a fan of the current art direction they're going with Battletoads, but i'm hoping the gameplay will make up for it. Also have the fever dream that you could possibly have old sprites after beating the game or something. Either way i'll still support these titles just to keep beat em' ups alive. This is actually a good problem to be having honestly.