• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
After seeing it for the third time today, not only it cemented as my favourite movie in years but I also couldn't hekp to think how every scene is pure perfection in terms of what it tries to convey, having also already extremely iconic sequence near the end of the movie.

As a diehard fan of original I am stunned what has been achieved here, my faith in cinema was seriously restored even if the movie s not that big of commercial success.

How do you feel about it compared to Scott's vision?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking this too. It doesn't compare in some areas, but it's so much better in so many others. I need more time to let this thought gestate though. BR is in my top 5 movies and I've seen it so many times, and I've only seen this twice so far.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the original, but 2049 really touched me in a lot of ways. I saw it last week and I really want to go see it again. Seriously this is one of those movies that must be watched on the big screen. I seriously felt like crying when I left the theatre. I think Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford excelled in their parts.

Last edited:

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The revolution subplot felt kind of undercooked and ultimately unnecessary (felt like sequel bait some studio head demanded), but everything else was amazing.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first one once but I saw 2049 3 times on premium seats and i almost NEVER rewatch movies. So yeah, i think that says a lot.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's better. 2049 is narratively stronger and builds upon the themes of BR in a logical and satisfying way (That in itself is a noteworthy achievement). The acting and chemistry between the leads is superior for sure. The soundtrack falls short but that's because Vangelis cannot be matched.

TheGreatDave

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's significantly better than the original as a story. Not that this story isn't without it's flaws but I was more interested in what was actually happening.

The first film is still the more striking visually and aurally though.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wouldn't go that far. I would say its a great Modern Take on the original. But the Original is like Cowboy Bebop. Watching it through a Modern lens without the context of realizing its importance, makes you see it differently.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
it does. only thing that can be argued is some music tracks.
Sea Wall's my jam, yo.

Anyway, I'd have gone a third time as well, if it weren't for the fact that it was pulled out Atmos theaters in my country this week. And same here, I almost never watch movies for a second time in the theaters, let alone wanting to go back for a third viewing.

And it'll be the first bluray I'll own too. Whether other people like it or not, I'm just really glad that a movie got made that resonated as well as it did with me.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On first watch, I liked it, but had a few reservations.

On second watch, a lot of those reservations almost evaporated.

However, saying it surpasses the original would be a hard thing to say for me. BR is such an influential, milestone-type movie. I guess I would need to watch it again!
It sure don't have Vangelis though.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Well K isn't forcing himself upon a woman under the threat of violence with a "sexy sax" playing.

2049 is a drastically better movie, and I had a strong appreciation for a lot of Blade Runner.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the music was better I'd consider it but as it is, the sequel is handicapped. Better performances I would agree with right off the bat though.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The original is much more efficient in storytelling and I think it's themes are more focused and apparent without bludgeoning them over your head like 2049 does at times.

That being said, 2049 is a great film, albeit flawed and a bit bloated at times. BR is near perfect in it's execution and simplicity. 2049 is like a really great flawed masterpiece with wrinkles but fantastic ideas.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
2049 is indeed the better film for me. I've been reading upon Kant's definitions of what makes a person a human and it fits splendidly with the movie's themes. I'll try to summarize (and it could come off wrong if you know your philosophy) but the gist of it is that our humanity comes from acting and treating others with dignity. So essentially, K became a human by acting and treating others with dignity.

I hope to catch someday in theaters again.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does for me.

For one, it didn't take me 8 tries to stay awake for it.

It also build on the foundations of the first and elevated the concept. It was so much easier for me to feel invested and care about the story and characters.

And the cinematography can't be beat.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, I loved the original, but 2049 was a masterpiece. Too bad it's suffering the same curse of a bad box office.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna take the easy road and say they're both equal. There are aspects in both movies where one surpasses the other, yet both incredible movies. For example, I personally enjoyed the cinematography in the sequel over the first, however I say that with hesitation as the first had some beautiful shots.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it and felt such relief as it became clear it was worthy of the original but it's too early to say if one surpasses the other, I agree with nynt9.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I couldn't call it either way. They compliment and bolster each other so well, watching BR before 2049 made me appreciate it even more.

One of the great sci-fi sequels, for sure.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The fact that you could seriously argue that BR2049 is a better film than the original, which is largely considered a top 5 scifi film of all time, is an absolute miracle.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it last night and it touched me in so many ways, manly tears were shed multiple times. I look forward to having a deep discussion about it in the respective thread but that box office performance is a travesty. Please tell me the sequel is still happening.

Now I need to get my hands up on that poster somehow.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it twice. I think I like it more overall... But nothing in it beats the original Voight-Kampff test.

Lenz

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you could seriously argue that BR2049 is a better film than the original, which is largely considered a top 5 scifi film of all time, is an absolute miracle.

This right here.

I saw the movie with my father, and Blade Runner is his favorite film of all time.

When we walked out of the theater, I turned to him and he had the biggest smile on his face. Said "That movie had no right to be as good as it was."

It really is just fantastic.

Airiel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm right there with you. I saw it once last weekend and I'm going to buy it on blu-ray the day it comes out.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it twice. I think I like it more overall... But nothing in it beats the original Voight-Kampff test.

"And blood-black nothingness began to spin... A system of cells interlinked within cells interlinked within cells interlinked within one stem... And dreadfully distinct against the dark, a tall white fountain played."
"Cells."
"Cells."
"Have you ever been in an institution? Cells."
"Cells."
"Do they keep you in a cell? Cells."
"Cells."
"When you're not performing your duties do they keep you in a little box? Cells."
"Cells."
"Interlinked."
"Interlinked."
"What's it like to hold the hand of someone you love? Interlinked."
"Interlinked."
"Did they teach you how to feel finger to finger? Interlinked."
"Interlinked."
"Do you long for having your heart interlinked? Interlinked."
"Interlinked."
Do you dream about being interlinked... ?"
"Interlinked."
"What's it like to hold your child in your arms? Interlinked."
"Interlinked."
"Do you feel that there's a part of you that's missing? Interlinked."
"Interlinked."
"Within cells interlinked."
"Within cells interlinked."
"Why don't you say that three times: Within cells interlinked."
"Within cells interlinked. Within cells interlinked. Within cells interlinked."
"We're done... Constant K, you can pick up your bonus."
I think this is better.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Valid position to take. Not sure if I agree but I can say with certainty that 2049 is the definitive vision for the modern era, if that even makes sense.

I really need to see 2049 again.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea I think the second Baseline is the high point of the movie and definitely surpasses the V-K Test in the original.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I think I would agree but it's been a while since I saw the original and I've seen 2049 only once so it's hard to tell. 2049 is a masterpiece though.

Foov

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, but thought it lost something of the original by going for a grander overall scope. There's something really intimate and simple about the plot of the first film that I think is part of its appeal.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
I think BR2049 has a true hallmark of what makes science fiction stories great. There are multiple layers to this film which one can only unpack piece by piece by repeat viewing, and its nuances sits with you long after you finished viewing. A remarkable achievement for both Villenuve and Deakins.

Oct 25, 2017
Seen it three times at this point and I think it's at least as good. It's just so tightly knit together, tense as hell in parts (Denis <3), and jawdroppingly beautiful. These two movies are among the best original/sequel combos for me and I'm so glad they exist.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Big fan of the original, and when I walked out of 2049 I knew that I watched a sequel that was done right. I think that it surpasses the original in terms of how it plays with transhumanism, it becomes more than just "can an adroid become human?" when
replicant procreation or replicant/human hybrid is suddenly thrown into the mix.
Bottom line, it's good science fiction that explores the genre even further than the original. I don't think it will reach that same iconic level that the original did though,

MarkRJR

Oct 25, 2017
I think the original is much more innovative for its time, but 2049 is definitely a better movie. Either way, both are great.