• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I need a poster or wallpaper of K lying down in the snow stat. That moment combined with the song was 11/10.

Also I was shocked that they made miniatures for locations and not CGI for all of them, so cool.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I thought the first wasn't a masterpiece to begin with. Didn't buy the romance and was disinterested at times. I loved 2049 and i wished i had gone to see it again.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Btw, regarding the whole replicant revolution thing. The want to gain the ability to procreate, which is exactly what Wallace wants. At first glance their goals don't seem that at odds (other than W. wanting to dissect the girl of course)

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
2049 is far more fulfilling to watch. The original is great too but it's definitely a struggle to rewatch it sometimes. I feel like I could easily watch 2049 every month or so and enjoy it every time (seen it three times in the cinema). It feels epic. I actually rather love the score but we're missing some sexy jazz music. At first I was a bit down on the visuals, mainly the fact this world is too glossy and clean, could have done with K having a darker dustier apartment. That's where it kind of lost the noir feeling of the original which could have just made this film perfect. Other than that though it is a tour de force. K's journey is just heartbreaking but soul affirming.

In other words, I absolutely loved it and can;t wait to own this on bluray

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's the kind of movie I expected Hollywood to completely misunderstand going into the modern century, and yet, it's surprisingly even more thought provoking than it's original, in large due part to it realizing that the original's strengths were in the contemplative moments, as well as the advantages of hindsight. The more I think about the movie the more profound it feels, and the story has a lot more of a forward momentum than the original. The simplicity and groundbreaking nature of the original movie may fare better with many, but 2049 consistently keeps me engaged from start to finish, and there isn't a single beat in the story where I feel like it drags on despite the protracted running time, which the first movie definitely felt like it did on more than one occasion. The only thing I think the original did better was the score but beyond that it's an improvement in pretty much every way.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, regarding the whole replicant revolution thing. The want to gain the ability to procreate, which is exactly what Wallace wants. At first glance their goals don't seem that at odds (other than W. wanting to dissect the girl of course)
Well he wants to force breed, that's not exactly freedom

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I have to respectfully disagree here.

I enjoyed the movie, but it had no where near the impact on me as Blade Runner did. Especially when it came to atmosphere and set design, while it was good it wasn't as good as Blade Runner imo.

The story also wasn't as impactful to me. I mean in the end it was
Him finding out that he wasn't the son rather just yet another replicant who was sent on this mission through his dreams created by the Ford's real offspring, in the end he still goes through with it knowing this and sacrifices himself to help them reunite.

Whereas with the original the impact was a lot more profound for the character
Finding the truth behind the people he's hunting, questioning himself and what he's doing. Falling for a replicant and then that glimpse at the end of maybe he himself is a replicant and not a human after all, the themes and ideas presented throughout the movie, to me, were more profound, questioning what it is to be human.

Also the soundtrack, while decent it was not Vangelis greatness.

Don't get me wrong, I thourghly enjoyed 2049 and it is easily one of the best sequels to a classic film that's been done, but it doesn't eclipse the first one, to me at least.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I came in here to argue with the OP but I think I might agree. I'm going to get it on Blu Ray when it comes out and give it more thought

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has better protagonists and worse villains. Better story and less memorable music. I don't know, I loved it but I still prefer the original.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Some infos on home release:
Additionally, all of the special features, including interviews with filmmakers, featurettes, and deleted scenes, can be experienced in an entirely new, dynamic and immersive manner on tablets and mobile phones using the Warner Bros. Movies All Access App, available for both iOS and Android devices. When a Combo Pack is purchased and the digital movie is redeemed, or the digital movie is purchased from a digital retailer, the Warner Bros. Movies All Access App allows users to watch the movie and simultaneously experience synchronized content related to any scene, simply by rotating their device. Synchronized content is presented on the same screen while the movie is playing, thus enabling users to quickly learn more about any scene, such as actor biographies, scene locations, fun trivia, or image galleries. Also, users can share movie clips with friends on social media and experience other immersive content. The Movies All Access app is available for download on the iTunes App Store and Google Play Store.
Announced special features:
  • Designing The World of Blade Runner 2049
  • To Be Human: Casting Blade Runner 2049
  • Prologues: 2036: Nexus Dawn
  • Prologues: 2048: Nowhere to Run
  • Prologues: 2022: Black Out
  • Blade Runner 101: Blade Runners
  • Blade Runner 101: The Replicant Evolution
  • Blade Runner 101: The Rise of Wallace Corp
  • Blade Runner 101: Welcome to 2049
  • Blade Runner 101: Joi
  • Blade Runner 101: Within the Skies

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they're both oddly flawed movies that are amazing, but 2049 is by far the most amazing of the two. It also might have been lthe best directed film that I have ever seen in my life, probably edging out Fury Road. How it managed to keep me on the edge of my seat for over two hours while barely anything happened is no small feat. 2049 has far better acting as well. On that note at least ford showed up for the sequel instead of what we got in the original.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I like in the original more is the soundtrack and the character of Roy Batty in contrast to 2049's antagonists. Other than that, 2049 feels like a complete improvement in both narrative and visuals. It's really unthinkable how they were able to pull it off so well.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing could ever top the original, it was a landmark movie that defined every aspect of the cyberpunk genre. 2049 is just a great sequel.

When K lies down on those steps and Tears in Rain starts playing after he and Deckard have crawled out of the sea and "evolved"...it was a beautiful moment. A different director probably would have cashed in on the nostalgia much earlier in the movie but Denis really made that reprise feel earned. The movie went out if it's way to show us how the Earth and humanity as a species have massively decayed, but the human spirit will never be extinguished, even if it has to live on through our own creations.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's better too. Story and characters are more fulfilling. Visuals are still top notch. Score is great. The original Blade Runner still stands the test of time because of the technical aspects and Roy Batty. But I feel like 2049 takes the ideas and themes only really touched upon in the original and does something special with them.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2049 is extremely good and I also think it's better than the original in many ways. I also think that people who believe the original are better are validated. They're both very different films, but the sequel adds to the original, which is rare in my opinion.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
2049 makes me want to buy an OLED tv just to watch it again in crisp 4K. It was super good. I never do this but I had to watch it twice in the theater cause I realized I probably wouldn't have a theater experience like that again in a long time. I will say that the soundtrack from the original was much more fulfilling for me though.

Last edited:

Rebel-TT

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Tobago
Not only do I think 2049 is better, I think the first one was frankly quite boring.

2049 is excellent. Now I'm a fan of Villeneuve. Having watched both this and Arrival, I await his new movie with bated breath.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the movie although flawed it is much superior to original.

Only issue I had was how did top assassin replicant goes into police station and kill two people without anyone noticing and one of them is captain

Oct 28, 2017

Only issue I had was how did top assassin replicant goes into police station and kill two people without anyone noticing and one of them is captain
It's a fair question and I don't think the movie offers a satisfactory answer. The only explanation I can infer is that the Wallace Corporation in this universe effectively has carte blanche to do what it wants and the LAPD is powerless to stop them.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
When you strip away the layers of earned and perceived prestige the original's been accumulating over years by being so visionary for its time and judge both films only on their individual visual effects, conceptual and storytelling merits, sure, I probably gravitate towards the new one.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Think what you'd get if you combined every conglomerate in the world right now into one entity. That's probably how powerful Wallace corp is. One captain isn't going to raise any eyebrows.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed watching 2049 but I didn't love it as much as I was expecting to.

I think my biggest problem with the movie was Jared Leto's character. I don't think his motivations were all that compelling and he just felt underdeveloped. I don't know, maybe I need to watch it again. I was having a good time for practically the entire run time... it just didn't leave a huge impact on me when it was over. Maybe all the hype around it got my expectations too high.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I agree with the sentiment that 2049 overall easily surpassed the original movie.

But I like the really dark tone of the first.

I'm about to give this a third viewing! This time on a brand new 4K player on a 65inch!