• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A certain magical index season 3 is coming out really soon so I decided to get into the series since it sounds so interesting and seems to have a pretty big following. Anyway so far I've seen episodes 1-9 of magical index 1, scientific railgun, I'm almost done with scientific railgun s and then I'll finish the rest of magical index 1 and 2.

The arc I'm referring to is the Sisters arc, just wow. I don't want to spoil anything so I don't ruin it for anyone but the characters, story, music, animation, dub, pacing, themes, the villain or just everything about it was perfect. There were so many things they could have messed up but they didn't.

This series has been really fun to watch so far but railgun s has elevated it to GOAT tier for me. I can't think of a single arc that's as good as this one, I'm so glad I don't have to wait long for the series to continue.

B18XUCm0u2HVS.gif

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh I love Railgun! Sisters arc is next level. I know they announced new Magical Index but have they announced new Railgun yet?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I've tried getting into Index for a long time but I usually make it a few episodes in and just give up. I really dislike Index's voice actress and personality. She's really grating.

I like what I've seen of Railgun but I also experience the same thing as Index and give up after a little bit.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Railgun is superior to Index in everyway. I would rather have a new season of Railgun honestly.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in watching this. What's the best order of the series to watch? As I understand it, rail gun is a spin off?

OP
OP

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've tried getting into Index for a long time but I usually make it a few episodes in and just give up. I really dislike Index's voice actress and personality. She's really grating.

I like what I've seen of Railgun but I also experience the same thing as Index and give up after a little bit.
If it helps in every review I read everyone hates index lol I'm not sure if she improves over time though.
I'm interested in watching this. What's the best order of the series to watch? As I understand it, rail gun is a spin off?
I'm using a watch order I found on reddit, since index and railgun are in the same universe, city, have the same characters and stuff apparently this is the best way to watch the series.
  1. A Certain Magical Index I episodes 1-9
  2. A Certain Scientific Railgun
  3. A Certain Scientific Railgun S
  4. A Certain Magical Index I remainder of season
  5. A Certain Magical Index II
  6. A Certain Magical Index Movie (can also be watched before the final arc of II)
  7. A Certain Magical Index III (coming out in October)

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
If it helps in every review I read everyone hates index lol I'm not sure if she improves over time though.

I'm using a watch order I found on reddit, since index and railgun are in the same universe, city, have the same characters and stuff apparently this is the best way to watch the series.
  6. A Certain Magical Index Movie (can also be watched before the final arc of II)
Thanks!

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I've honestly never heard of this anime series and I have no idea how! Time to add to my watch list for October.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thought this was going to be either a Yorkshin or a Chimera Ant thread, living home empty handed.
Chimera ant is a GOAT tier arc as well, I still think the sisters arc is better though. It was more emotional and actually really made me think about ethical problems with science. Also accelerator is a legit villain, his powers are crazy.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Reminder that the rest of Railgun is almost completely divorced from the Sisters arc in tone.

The Index series is love/hate for me. It has so many cliches and fanservice I can't really recommend it to someone if they're not used to that sort of thing. It does have some potential, but it can be downright terrible at times.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
This... is not what I expected to see when I first opened this thread. Expected the golden age of berserk or something like that.
God, it's been such a long time since I watched Railgun. It aired in 2010 I believe?

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, just wait for the part 2 of attack on titan season 3, if done well it's going to be a serious GOAT arc contender.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also just realized the OP hasn't seen another very excellent few arcs that derive from Sisters since they haven't even finished Index S1. Oh boy, you're in for a treat, my friend. I mean, I think Sisters is still pretty much the pinnacle of storytelling in Raildex, but... a certain very relevant character's story and development arc overall is pretty damn good too.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of... either of these shows? We're talking about two different shows here? I'm interested in learning more but so far I'm confused as hell at this thread lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which series is it in and how many episodes?
Its starts in Railgun S, I wouldn't recommend skipping the previous stuff though since it builds up the characters and the world.
Reminder that the rest of Railgun is almost completely divorced from the Sisters arc in tone.

The Index series is love/hate for me. It has so many cliches and fanservice I can't really recommend it to someone if they're not used to that sort of thing. It does have some potential, but it can be downright terrible at times.
Its a bit fanservicey but weirdly enough Koroko is my favourite character and shes the biggest creep in the show :D
I also just realized the OP hasn't seen another very excellent few arcs that derive from Sisters since they haven't even finished Index S1. Oh boy, you're in for a treat, my friend. I mean, I think Sisters is still pretty much the pinnacle of storytelling in Raildex, but... a certain very relevant character's story and development arc overall is pretty damn good too.
Is it
Accelerator?
I saw his photo in the poster for season 3 so it would be a total waste if they ended his story given how interesting he is.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks. Never even heard about it, but I like to watch an anime every once in a while. Going in blind then.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Best arc of the series, and I recommend the manga version to anyone who doesn't like excessive fanservice, as they add it in the anime as filler. It's fun filler, but not for everyone.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i remember really liking the 1st season of certain magical index, even checked out the novels a bit
i think i watched certain railgun? think i got bored and didn't watch index 2
it's index 3 now?
the light novels i think is really really far ahead so it just feels daunting
and if i'm not mistaken
touma isn't even the main character anymore or something? he died? or he lost his memory again? something like that

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy, hope this gets you into more anime theres some pretty good stuff out there.
Oh don't worry I've watched tons of anime all my life but not much in recent years (I'm 33, I watched bootlegs VHS with fansubs in 1993) . I've watched My Hero Academia recently and that's it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh don't worry I've watched tons of anime all my life but not much in recent years (I'm 33, I watched bootlegs VHS with fansubs in 1993) . I've watched My Hero Academia recently and that's it.
Nice MHA is my favourite right now. If you get the time also watch Attack on Titan, its arguably the best show you can watch right now.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

Quoting for future use

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the Railgun S bluray sitting on my shelf for like a year, I suppose I should get around to actually watching it at some point lol.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And to think the first Railgun season avoided so hard to reach the Sister arc. I should watch the anime, the manga was fun.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Oh this wasn't what I was expecting going into this thread.

In any case yes generally both sides of the fanbase agree that the Railgun's interpretation of the Sisters Arc is very well done. Railgun tends to be fine when sticking to canon material, it's when they start to dive into the cute girls doing cute things that it starts to lose steam. Always in the second half of the season.

I'm personally a HUGE Index fan so I've been looking forward to this new season for the longest time, Index is like my Anime equivalent of Devil May Cry- that one series I've waited years to continue. The world is just a lot more bigger than the isolated bubble of the Railgun stories especially now that the conflict is global in this third season.

EDIT:

The show doesn't have to be watched chronologically. You can watch it as per when it aired.

Index 1
Railgun 1
Index 2
Railgun 2
Index Movie

The Railgun OVA is just filler stuff.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I never watched the series because I hate Fanservice and not really into anime anymore. But now I'm intrigued to at least give it a try. I just can't get excited about any series other than JoJo (can't wait for it to start soon!). I even stopped watching My Hero Academia as Mineta just ruins the show for me.

Oct 25, 2017
A certain magical index season 3 is coming out really soon so I decided to get into the series since it sounds so interesting and seems to have a pretty big following. Anyway so far I've seen episodes 1-9 of magical index 1, scientific railgun, I'm almost done with scientific railgun s and then I'll finish the rest of magical index 1 and 2.

The arc I'm referring to is the Sisters arc, just wow. I don't want to spoil anything so I don't ruin it for anyone but the characters, story, music, animation, dub, pacing, themes, the villain or just everything about it was perfect. There were so many things they could have messed up but they didn't.

This series has been really fun to watch so far but railgun s has elevated it to GOAT tier for me. I can't think of a single arc that's as good as this one, I'm so glad I don't have to wait long for the series to continue.

B18XUCm0u2HVS.gif

You are absolutely spot on. This is easily the best arc I've watched in the decade. I rewatched it 3 times.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
i remember really liking the 1st season of certain magical index, even checked out the novels a bit
i think i watched certain railgun? think i got bored and didn't watch index 2
it's index 3 now?
the light novels i think is really really far ahead so it just feels daunting
and if i'm not mistaken
touma isn't even the main character anymore or something? he died? or he lost his memory again? something like that

The Index main story has three main protagonists, Touma is still one of them and he's still involved with the most relevant events.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh this wasn't what I was expecting going into this thread.

In any case yes generally both sides of the fanbase agree that the Railgun's interpretation of the Sisters Arc is very well done. Railgun tends to be fine when sticking to canon material, it's when they start to dive into the cute girls doing cute things that it starts to lose steam. Always in the second half of the season.

I'm personally a HUGE Index fan so I've been looking forward to this new season for the longest time, Index is like my Anime equivalent of Devil May Cry- that one series I've waited years to continue. The world is just a lot more bigger than the isolated bubble of the Railgun stories especially now that the conflict is global in this third season.
Seems like most people say railgun is better but you just made me way more hyped to finish index, seemed like it had a good mix of both science and magic from the first few episodes that I watched.