• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 3 days, 12 hours, 13 minutes, 26 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

I think Pokemon Sword/Shield has the worst story I have ever played through (SPOILERS)

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
have not bought Sword or Shield yet, and i'm most likely not gonna do it.

All i'll say is: can't fucking wait for Sinnoh remake. It's almost time i can feel it.

Also the story was the best in gen 4.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Leon is constantly reminding us how stupid Rose’s motives are.
I think they were going for a Thanos thing, but it just didn't make any sense. Did they ever go into what calamity was coming in a thousand years that waking up Eternatus would prevent? Also why was it showing my memories in little picture bubbles during the battle?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Did they ever go into what calamity was coming in a thousand years that waking up Eternatus would prevent? Also why was it showing my memories in little picture bubbles during the battle?
Eternatus has ties to the power spots that produce energy. Rose wanted it to be an unlimited source of energy because he believes in the "why put off tomorrow what you can do today" mentality and wants to prevent the depletion of the region's power supply. Those images appear in the battle with it because that's where the power spots were going nuts due to Eternatus.

This is how I understood it at least.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I genuinely thought I skipped over some dialogue or missed an optional cutscene or something by the time I got to the Pokemon League. I didn't understand why everyone was freakin' out about Lee having a conversation with the chairman. You get there and expect like the chairmen to have beaten Lee's Pokemon or something but no, they were literally just having a talk, all those battles and pushback from his assistant for what exactly??? They literally had to make an excuse as to why you were being stopped because they forgot to finish the story or something. And don't even get me started on Lee and Rose's conversation being still images. What the fuck was that??? I wish Gamefreak could have allowed this game to bake for another year because it clearly was rushed out.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up the Sword at the end. How much longer do I have?

Honestly, I'm so bored that I'm trying to find a reason to continue and its just a boring game. I assume there's no elite 4 or anything post-game wise? I feel like there's no challenge anymore and I have no desire to collect all the Pokemon

Oct 27, 2017
have not bought Sword or Shield yet, and i'm most likely not gonna do it.

All i'll say is: can't fucking wait for Sinnoh remake. It's almost time i can feel it.

Also the story was the best in gen 4.
Better wait a few weeks after it's released because Gamefreak is 100% going to not detail any features cut from the originals and reviews will be near useless again and not mention them either

Marukoban

Oct 29, 2017
I have played quite a few Pokemon games and I have always skipped the dialogues in those games after certain point.
Pokemon has always had bare bone and/or nonsensical plot and dialogues.
Why is this some kind of revelation to ERA that Pokemon has bad or no story?
Not every game needs big dramatic overarching plot story to be good :/

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I have played quite a few Pokemon games and I have always skipped the dialogues in those games after certain point.
There's a difference between previous games and this.

Because there is no story, you just go to town to town defeating the gyms. In multiple cities, you just go to the gym and leave. For example, in the Water town, there's a lighthouse. In previous games, you'd go to the lighthouse and fulfill a quest. Because this game just involves you going to the gym and defeating the leader, there's none of that.

Just feels very barren and no real point to anything. There are no "bad guys" through out the story really. There's no side plot in any of the towns that you must deal with before you fight a gym.

Marukoban

Oct 29, 2017
There's a difference between previous games and this.

Because there is no story, you just go to town to town defeating the gyms. In multiple cities, you just go to the gym and leave. For example, in the Water town, there's a lighthouse. In previous games, you'd go to the lighthouse and fulfill a quest. Because this game just involves you going to the gym and defeating the leader, there's none of that.

Just feels very barren and no real point to anything. There are no "bad guys" through out the story really. There's no side plot in any of the towns that you must deal with before you fight a gym.
I don't know if that's necessarily an issue.
The lack of good story/writing has never bothered me, and I assume this is true for most Pokemon players too.
Pokemon's main draw is in collecting, breeding, training and battling.
Previous games has little story, but they're not exactly good either, so why not just remove those parts if they're not going to put more effort there?
Not sure why people want to bother with story in Pokemon, but I notice this board has always placed greater emphasis on story/narrative.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people want to bother with story in Pokemon, but I notice this board has always placed greater emphasis on story/narrative.
Because we have to play through ~20-30hrs of the single player to be able to access all the features needed for competitive play. You say people only care about "collecting, breeding, training and battling." which i'd disagree with. For a lot of people the actual single player was enjoyable even though the story was simple. Navigation the world was fun, there were cool locations and areas to play though, cool setpieces/events, etc. But now it feels like those things have largely been removed and replaced with poorly done, highly intrusive excuses for cutscenes that now actively hamper the little enjoyment there is exploring the world

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of good story/writing has never bothered me, and I assume this is true for most Pokemon players too.
Previous games has little story, but they're not exactly good either, so why not just remove those parts if they're not going to put more effort there?
No side quests remove content, you’re arguing that people don’t care about the story period but most people play through the story and stop, I think most people would care if they lost side story content. By side story I mean things that aren’t just the gym challenge.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
For you maybe.

For me, it was collecting and doing the story. There's no reason to collect if the story sucks.

Not everyone plays the same way you play. And this game is missing a ton.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Here are three separate scenes in Final Fantasy XV:

The main bad guy asks you to follow his convertible as he drives into the night. You slowly drive behind him for like three minutes.

The empire kills a hotel owner, Jared, that is in the game for maybe five seconds. Your entire team is emotionally wrecked. Later on, you suddenly decide to attack a random military base you just happen to pass by in revenge for Jared’s death. Your friend’s little sister waits in the car while you do so.

Your car gets stolen and you attack a completely separate yet eerily similar military base. After you beat the boss, you slowly walk to your car in the parking lot. Your girlfriend’s brother confronts you. Your big friend defends your honor, only to get punched in the stomach. The scene ends. Moments later, the big guy who swore to defend you to the death, leaves the party for no reason. Everyone is cool with this.

Nothing in Pokémon Sword/Shield is as bad as anything I mentioned above.

The Last One

Oct 25, 2017

The main bad guy asks you to follow his convertible as he drives into the night. You slowly drive behind him for like three minutes.

The empire kills a hotel owner, Jared, that is in the game for maybe five seconds. Your entire team is emotionally wrecked. Later on, you suddenly decide to attack a random military base you just happen to pass by in revenge for Jared’s death. Your friend’s little sister waits in the car while you do so.

Your car gets stolen and you attack a completely separate yet eerily similar military base. After you beat the boss, you slowly walk to your car in the parking lot. Your girlfriend’s brother confronts you. Your big friend defends your honor, only to get punched in the stomach. The scene ends. Moments later, the big guy who swore to defend you to the death, leaves the party for no reason. Everyone is cool with this.

lol

I mean I love Pokémon SwSh but the main characters alone make FF XV have a much more enjoyable story than Sword Shield. This comparison is even unfair.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017

Nah, none of this has anything on storming Rose’s tower. Although the last paragraph is awful, at least its only a few minutes of stupidity.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
People are complaining because SwSh’s story is bad even in the context of the series it’s in.

No, Game Freak has placed a greater emphasis on story/narrative. And then they failed to deliver on the plot that they set up throughout the game.

Birdie

Oct 26, 2017
Okay now that I'm at the endgame...yeah it's worse than I thought.

There's NO reason anyone should mistrust Chairman Rose from the POV of the main characters, and Leon is just having a meeting with him...

But then all of a sudden Hop and Piers just decide to fuck things up? And then Oleanna just pops up and gives us a reason to be suspicious by being pointlessly antagonistic.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay now that I'm at the endgame...yeah it's worse than I thought.

There's NO reason anyone should mistrust Chairman Rose from the POV of the main characters, and Leon is just having a meeting with him...

But then all of a sudden Hop and Piers just decide to fuck things up? And then Oleanna just pops up and gives us a reason to be suspicious by being pointlessly antagonistic.
I just got past that part and yeah, it’s so bad. I was legit laughing at how you get the key for the monorail. There were some pretty clear cracks in the game before this but wow it all falls apart in spectacular fashion by the end.

Birdie

Oct 26, 2017
I actually like them playing the song over each fight...

I hate when you storm the base in past games and the music keeps quitting out with the victory jingle only to toss you into another fight.

If storming the tower had any meaning plotwise I'd think it was a cool scene.

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like them playing the song over each fight...

I hate when you storm the base in past games and the music keeps quitting out with the victory jingle only to toss you into another fight.

If storming the tower had any meaning plotwise I'd think it was a cool scene.
imagine how cool it would have been if it was this gen's Silph Co.

but nah, we just get an elevator

Feb 20, 2019
Now that I think about it, holy shit the ending sequence felt rushed.

-No cutscene for Leon and Rose talking
-No cutscene for Eternatus breaking out of his egg
-The story completely forgets about Sonia after we see her in the forest
-The dude we are supposed to find with the key doesn't even have his own model, he's just a boring minion
-Leon tries to catch Eternatus with a fucking pokeball
-Nobody really seems panicked about Eternatus in cities

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
All they had to do was have Rose actually kidnap Leon. That’s it. It adds stakes. It adds urgency.

Let’s say that Eternatus needs to be tamed by a legendary hero, and Rose believes Leon is that hero. They had to kidnap Leon the night before the finals because there’s a real chance the MC could defeat Leon, hence making him unworthy in the eyes of Eternatus and ruining their plan. That means that the main character’s actions have a direct effect on the plot, WOW! And it makes Leon being a Gary Stu actually matter in terms of the plot.

Add a Rose Tower dungeon with Rose as the boss at the end, and then go to Slumbering Weald to awaken the wolves, and then fight Eternatus.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
I liked how the solution to stop a literal walking apocalypse is to simply catch it in a pokéball so he wont be going around causing disasters anymore.
And it's not just an in game "maybe not canon" encounter, Leon was literally going for it.

Nax

Oct 10, 2018
So having just finished the game...Yeah, I could get behind this opinion. It's at least one of the worst. That shit leading up to the champion is SO bad.