• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Question for everyone here who bought SwSh and hated it: are you guys done buying Pokemon games?

I certainly didn't hate it because the core of Pokémon (catching lots of creatures and doing turn-based battles) is still great. That said, I'm probably not going to play another one on Switch. At this point, I can only play one per console gen and usually only actually buy one every other gen. They're just too samey.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One little touch I like with Hop is after he loses to Bede the next two fights he ditches his Wooloo and uses different Pokemon each fight before finally adding it back, evolved.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Yo, that would have worked so well with the current political climate, I'm legitimately disappointed they didn't do it.
Especially if they'd also played up the climate change commentary for good measure.
Yeah, the climate change angle they went for in the game was a little...I dunno, oblivious? You'd think "massive corporation hastening climate emergency in favour of short term profits" would be an easy set-up...

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
One little touch I like with Hop is after he loses to Bede the next two fights he ditches his Wooloo and uses different Pokemon each fight before finally adding it back, evolved.
Oh yeah, I did like how he kept switching pokemon.

I also started to regret not having a water/ice type in my team...

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
On the topic of rivals, I liked Bede largely because my mental image of his last stand is him bursting into the stadium and pushing past security while frothing at the mouth and ranting like a madman about how you ruined his life and got him hauled off to Fairy bootcamp, even though you didn't actually do anything to him lol.

All three rivals really could have ben better implemented into the story though, especially Marine. Sure would be nice if remakes were to address this...

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
On the topic of rivals, I liked Bede largely because my mental image of his last stand is him bursting into the stadium and pushing past security while frothing at the mouth and ranting like a madman about how you ruined his life and got him hauled off to Fairy bootcamp, even though you didn't actually do anything to him lol.

All three rivals really could have ben better implemented into the story though, especially Marine. Sure would be nice if remakes were to address this...
That scene actually irritated me a bit. Like I can't go anywhere cause there are these people just standing still in every doorstep and this guy is able to barge his way into the center of what should be a super secure stadium?

But it was a fun fight.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I still think they should've just fully focused on the Gym Challenge. It was the first time in any Pokemon game where the Gyms actually felt important and like a real sport. It was always at its strongest when they focused on that.

Leave the Galar lore stuff for the post game or optional sidequests. Gold and Silver didnt utilize Lugia or Ho Oh in its main campaign and it was just fine.

BW1 has an alright story.

Its basic Pokemon but with a lot of fluff truths and ideals talk. I'd almost say it's trying too hard to be a more "mature" game.
BW deconstructs the very idea of pokemon battles and make yourself question if what you are doing is animal cruelty (spoiler: no, pokemon are masochists) so its a cool story

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This forum and hyperbole is straight up nauseating. Everything is always the worst ever or the best ever. Urrgh.

The story is just fine and inoffensive. imo.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'll actually put some effort in.

Hop is fine. The problem with Hop is there's just too. Much. Hop.

Maybe the actual total was less than it felt while I was playing but it seriously was like every time I saw the guy I had to brace myself for a battle. Fighting Blue or Silver felt like an event when it happened because they only came up at a few points over the course of the adventure, and every time you could tell they had grown just as much as you had. Hop's actually your friend unlike those two so it makes sense that you'd touch base with one another more often. But not every single one of those times needs to be a battle, especially since it barely feels like he's advanced for so many of them.

The frequency of his battles is made worse by the fact that he keeps commenting on like every other attack. He quips when he crits, when he super effectives, when you crit and super effective, etc. I don't think that's meant to be a tutorializing thing so much as a "wow, look at how reactive this NPC is, isn't he cute" kinda thing. But it's just too much. One or two comments during the general course of battle, as the tide shifts from you winning to him winning to a close victory/loss etc, would be fine. The fact that Leon acts the same way during the literal final battle is definitely supposed to be endearing and evocative of those fights with his younger brother, but it comes off as annoying for the same reason I think Raihan's annoying for talking about the weather whenever he uses a move that changes it.

His actual character arc is good. I mean, he actually gets one that feels natural and earned so that's more than I can say for the rest of the cast.

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, and unfortunately Nintendo games trying to tell stories and failing has been a trend this generation (look at Breath of the Wild too). Like I said, I'm not defending the story, because it's pretty nonsensical. I just don't think it's the worst story ever, because I reserve that for a game that tries to tell a story, puts an emphasis on it, and then also fails at it.
Sword and Shield have the decency to keep things out of the way, if nothing else.

I don't get this comparison at all. Sword and Shield is an RPG and RPGs lean pretty heavy on story. Breath of the Wild is an open world game with story elements sprinkled in between to account for the open world design. The only flaw with Breath of the Wild is the lack of context for the story (at the same time, it makes the adventure feel new, at least it did for me).

Otherwise, you're talking about two completely different story designs that should not be compared.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I don't get this comparison at all. Sword and Shield is an RPG and RPGs lean pretty heavy on story. Breath of the Wild is an open world game with story elements sprinkled in between to account for the open world design. The only flaw with Breath of the Wild is the lack of context for the story (at the same time, it makes the adventure feel new, at least it did for me).

Otherwise, you're talking about two completely different story designs that should not be compared.
I'm not comparing them at all. I was just expressing a larger desire that Nintendo first party games should try harder at storytelling if they're going to attempt it at all, that's all.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to laugh at how Rose has this epic ominous gothic chanting theme even though he's the most harmless dude and is barely even a villain.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I had to laugh at how Rose has this epic ominous gothic chanting theme even though he's the most harmless dude and is barely even a villain.
I'm fully convinced that whoever composed Rose's theme was told that he's a super evil bad guy, and then they didn't have time to write scenes into the plot to establish that so they ended up presenting him in his current state and then used the music befitting of his previous characterization anyway.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was bad. The only part of the story I thought was kinda clever was Bede's arc.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fully convinced that whoever composed Rose's theme was told that he's a super evil bad guy, and then they didn't have time to write scenes into the plot to establish that so they ended up presenting him in his current state and then used the music befitting of his previous characterization anyway.
Like, this was the dude that was running around in his boxers for most of the game. It was hard not to laugh when that theme started playing lol

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
If Ultra SwooSh does one thing better, I want it to show the consequences of pokemon dynamaxing in The Darkest Day. We've got entries about Gigantamax Toxtricity being driven insane by its own poison and Gengar being a literal hellmouth. I wanna see some kaiju-level chaos for at least a moment rather than just being shown a newspaper clipping of Leon's Charizard suplexing a perrserker.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The elevator scene was definitely a low point in my video gaming career. I was in hysterics after it ended in a static cutscene and Leon took you and Hop out for food.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
The story in SwSh is the worst in the franchise imo.

The first half of the game was average, but pretty standard Pokémon and set up the world alright I guess. The second half and the ending were both bad and just seemed like they rushed you to finish the game.

I think I am glad they rushed the ending because it was just a chore. I'm enjoying breeding for my shiny dex more than I was running through the story the first time.

Also, Hop plain sucked.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The people saying that all Pokémon stories are bad are being disingenuous. These games' stories were bad even compared to the 1996 games.

In those games, you infiltrate the enemy base and save a city. In these games, you take an elevator ride for no reason, and stop a dangerous Pokémon because a rich CEO was hamfisted into being some sort of villain, but not really.

The pacing was atrocious. The entire thing was pieced together Final Fantasy XV style and stenches of production difficulties.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Sun and Moon is hands down the worst to me still, but there were baffling decisions made in this entry for sure.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
I'm sure there is worse garbage on Steam and other places, but it's certainly the worst I've ever suffered through from a big developer/publisher. Pretty shameful.

Oct 29, 2017
And they knew they could get away with it.

I can acknowledge the fact that the game is not very good in general (not only the story), but it's incredibly addictive and fun to play. It's probably the best time I've had playing a game this year.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
Not sure if I'd call the SWSH story the worst in the series or not, but I do think it's a marked step down from Sun and Moon's story.

I say that as someone who played Shield and enjoyed it overall and is still enjoying the raiding aspect of it.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest takeaway from swsh is that it needs the ultra treatment a lot more than sm did.

The game has good basics for the plot imo, it's not like the story itself is awful, it's just that they execute it poorly. You have the cool slumbering weald stuff in the fog early on, but then the game just drops all sense of plot until the tournament. I think the post game story with swordward and shieldbert should have been worked into the main story, while bede and oleanas relationship with rose should have been amplified more throughout the story. The chairman saved both of them, the game could have played the angle of untouchable savior. Have macro cosmos show up earlier and have better reasons for Hop and the player to investigate them throughout . Eventually macro cosmos and the chairman could turn galar against you because they see him as a savior. Oh, and it'd be better if the chairman was given a real bad guy motive. I personally feel like this game just focused on world building / background details way more than it needed too.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think any of the Pokemon stories are good. Ruby/Sapphire was stupid as hell

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This forum and hyperbole is straight up nauseating. Everything is always the worst ever or the best ever. Urrgh.

The story is just fine and inoffensive. imo.
I'm not exaggerating with my post. I don't finish many games, and out of the ones I have, this one was easily the worst story.
my dude do you play pokemon for the story? What?
If a game presents a story, then I follow it. This isn't a hard concept.
I actually lost to Leon the first time.
His team was pretty good.
I would have lost for sure the first time if I didn't put eternatus on my team and abused some full restores. It actually was a good fight.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
I'm not exaggerating with my post. I don't finish many games, and out of the ones I have, this one was easily the worst story.

If a game presents a story, then I follow it. This isn't a hard concept.

I would have lost for sure the first time if I didn't put eternatus on my team and abused some full restores. It actually was a good fight.
It's a strange thing to focus on - considering it is not Pokemons focus!?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you got Team Rocket stealing pokemon, team magma through team flare using legendaries to decimate the planet, team skulk stealing pokemon, and aether going to ultra space

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I love me some pokemon but the stories in these games are always as weak as wet paper. Yes, even the beloved Black and White story is weak. "Is it ok to battle pokemon... tell me, in multiple pokemon battles to justify YOUR use of making them fight... not mine... cause im the bad guy..." -eyeroll-

But yeah this one is just, not even poorly paced, because its got no pacing at all. Rose's bad idea appears and disappears in a single event, the "kings" plot does the same. They are completely adjacent from the main story. Not sure why these events were not seeded throughout the campaign like all the previous games but man it really stood out as bad as a result. Would be very curious to hear the game devs talk about this decision (though they never will)

It is for 7ish year olds and up to digest I get it and don't have a problem with whats happening but how it barely involves the player at all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just give us a cutscene skip button. For fuck's sake, Game Freak, it's 2019. Pressing start to skip cutscenes should not be a big ask.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just give us a cutscene skip button. For fuck's sake, Game Freak, it's 2019. Pressing start to skip cutscenes should not be a big ask.
technically there is one. but it doesn't skip the parts people complain about

I mean, you got Team Rocket stealing pokemon, team magma through team flare using legendaries to decimate the planet, team skulk stealing pokemon, and aether going to ultra space
the setup isn't the problem. this game lacks basic storytelling. it's less Final Fantasy 13 and more Final Fantasy 15

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is there is a cutscene skip in the game, but what the game considers a cutscene are those short movies, of which there are like 5 in the entire game.

The majority of the story is told through boring, unskippable dialogue boxes

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is there is a cutscene skip in the game, but what the game considers a cutscene are those short movies, of which there are like 5 in the entire game.

The majority of the story is told through boring, unskippable dialogue boxes

Yup. And all the characters just keep saying the same shit over and over and over and over and over again. Every Hop dialogue is BOY I'M GONNA BE THE CHAMPION SOMEDAY. And he never stops talking.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. And all the characters just keep saying the same shit over and over and over and over and over again. Every Hop dialogue is BOY I'M GONNA BE THE CHAMPION SOMEDAY. And he never stops talking.
You just don't understand the subtle subtext of living in his brother's shadow. It's so subtle and subtexty, 99% of gamers didn't notice. Also, I see you've mastered type advantages.