• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 21, 2018
The writing and story may be worse than Sun and Moon but you'll be grateful for less dialogue during your subsequent playthroughs of Sword and Shield. Pokemon games are designed to be played at least 3 times because there are always 3 starters. I haven't enjoyed a Pokémon game this much since SoulSilver.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure about the other games, but in this one they refuse to let you do anything because you're a kid. You get a few lore dumps here and there and it isn't until the very end where they're like "oh, yeah I guess help out maybe." Bah
It's almost like their game design philosophy (that kids are dumb, have the attention span of a goldfish and need to have everything spoonfed to them) seeps into the story more and more, too.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I felt the dialogue frequency was about the same

Everytime people say "at least SWSH cut the handholding!" i wonder the same. The only difference is that SWSH is shorter. But you're as interrupted during every ten steps you take to do/hear menial stuff just the same, if anything Hop felt as a more constant annoyance than Hau and that was already a pretty low standard

Feb 21, 2018
Everytime people say "at least SWSH cut the handholding!" i wonder the same. The only difference is that SWSH is shorter. But you're as interrupted during every ten steps you take to do/hear menial stuff just the same, if anything Hop felt as a more constant annoyance than Hau and that was already a pretty low standard
At least Hop would keep his chatter to the battles unlike Hau who would just talk for the sake of character development. Nobody cares about the story in Pokémon, give us BOTW already. Pokémon GO was far more popular before they had events with story dialogue. Every second reading is a second you could have spent battling or catching Pokemon.

feelthesurge

Nov 15, 2017
You expressed my thoughts on the story perfectly. Maybe the post-game stuff flushes things out more, but I just don't care anymore. Still had a blast with the game itself though!

Feb 20, 2019
-Yay time for my fight against Leon!
-Hey fucker I'm back and I'm into fairies now! Come bite my thumb if you know the stakes!

10 minutes later

-Kay now time to actually fight Le-

Screen in the stadium: some stuff happening with Rose

20 minutes later

Now that you have captured a legendary draconic Gigamaxed entity that you never heard about until 10 minutes ago, you can actually go wreck Leon's ass with Eternatus!

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Oh its awful. Its actually insultingly awful. Pokemon Red & Blue had more story to this.

I think of the Fairy Gym town (Ballonlea) and the town with the saunas and how cool they look and how little you do in those towns.

There is zero story, zero dungeons, zero side things, no bad guys, etc.

I just finished the 8th gym. Typically, I would do everything in a Pokemon game, I'd catch the entire dex...but I have no reason to. There is zero point anymore cause the Galar region sucks.

My favourite little part when you beat the 8th gym. And you leave and the town is cheering. They never actually face you so if you move 10 feet, they're just cheering to nobody.

I don't get how this game has an open critic score of 80. I feel like I'm struggling to find out what Sword/Shield do well.

Oh its BS. The game has no side stuff, tells you where to go if you pause the game, and constantly forces you with cutscenes into the next area. Sword/Shield is more handholding than any game before it.

Feb 20, 2019
Oh its awful. Its actually insultingly awful. Pokemon Red & Blue had more story to this.

I think of the Fairy Gym town (Ballonlea) and the town with the saunas and how cool they look and how little you do in those towns.

There is zero story, zero dungeons, zero side things, no bad guys, etc.

I just finished the 8th gym. Typically, I would do everything in a Pokemon game, I'd catch the entire dex...but I have no reason to. There is zero point anymore cause the Galar region sucks.

My favourite little part when you beat the 8th gym. And you leave and the town is cheering. They never actually face you so if you move 10 feet, they're just cheering to nobody.

I don't get how this game has an open critic score of 80. I feel like I'm struggling to find out what Sword/Shield do well.

Oh its BS. The game has no side stuff, tells you where to go if you pause the game, and constantly forces you with cutscenes into the next area. Sword/Shield is more handholding than any game before it.
Holy shit I agree with this so much. The glimwood tangle town has to be the most useless and disappointing location in a Pokémon game since the dimension with Ultra Necrozma. In general towns feel really empty and unfinished in this game. I also despise the cafés and restaurants that are only here to:
A- Daily fight
B- Cutscene where the characters order something but you don't even see them eat.
Idk, just having an NPC selling lattes to heal my pokémons and stuff doesn't sound like the end of the world, and it could actually add some realism to he scene...

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Just because you are the main character doesn't mean you are The Main Character

You are the Player Character and the universe will contort itself to fulfill your capricious whim of becoming champion. Hop, Marnie, and even Bede all have motivations that could make them Main Character material if they weren't standing in the path of your smiling, soulless, wide-eyed husk of an avatar. Instead they're just stepping stones on your path to greatness.

My headcanon is that Leon gave you a starter just so you could be Hop's punching bag and help him surpass his brother, but he never imagined the depths of your insatiable hunger for power.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'm not sure about the worst story ever put into a video game, but it's definitely the worst story since Fire Emblem: Fates, and it's similar to that game in that pretty much everything Sword and Shield's story attempts to do fails miserably.

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
-Yay time for my fight against Leon!
-Hey fucker I'm back and I'm into fairies now! Come bite my thumb if you know the stakes!

10 minutes later

-Kay now time to actually fight Le-

Screen in the stadium: some stuff happening with Rose

20 minutes later

Now that you have captured a legendary draconic Gigamaxed entity that you never heard about until 10 minutes ago, you can actually go wreck Leon's ass with Eternatus!
Lol! And Leon even acknowledged it if you had Eternatus in your party (though I wonder how, this man have X-ray vision or something?) Ngl I did feel a bit bad putting it in, but after forcing me to do all this stuff before finally fighting him, I think I deserved it.
I'm not sure about the worst story ever put into a video game, but it's definitely the worst story since Fire Emblem: Fates, and it's similar to that game in that pretty much everything Sword and Shield's story attempts to do fails miserably.
Oh it's just a personal opinion of mine. I haven't finished many games (maybe a few a year), I usually drop them if the story is too nonsensical or something else is bad or I grow bored etc.
What made this time different is that I really was enjoying pretty much everything else a lot minus the story. Probably one of the main reasons it was so damn jarring to me.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
beat Leon

the fact they played the whole "unbeatable" shtick straight made him pretty boring. the characters aren't bad, but damn are they all underdeveloped

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty bad lol. Shame since there were some really hype stuff peppered in between. I wanted to see Dynamax Pokemon running around the city.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the final boss with Eternatus being a max raid battle where the dogs join the battle was actually really well done and very cool. That's the extent of the good story stuff, though. lol

I was going to completely ignore the end-game but then they gave me a charmander...

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
The idea that Hop is a clone of Hau makes no sense to me at all.

At best, their only shared traits are being energetic and friendly. Hau's arc is about how he doesn't take being a trainer seriously, that he doesn't push his Pokémon at all and he's focused only on having a good time. All the while he feels insecure compared to the player and his grandfather while basically forcing himself to be a good sport. This comes full circle in USUM, where he applies himself and pushes past his negative self image to become a potential Champion contender.

Hop is nothing like this, because his problems stem from the fact that he has TOO STRONG of a positive self image. He's so sure he'll be great, that when Bede trounces him, it utterly shatters his perception of himself, thinking that he has to completely reinvent himself. Everything he wants is also based on something others have, and he only gains peace with himself once he 1) accepts where he's been (shown by putting Dubwool back in his team), and 2) Finding a dream and purpose that isn't just emulating his brother by deciding to become a professor.

they're two very different people. You might as well say Silver is the same as Blue because they're both mean.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
*is having battle*

*uses type advantage*

HAHAAAA I SHOULD EXPECT NO LESS OF MY RIVAL, THE GREATEST STRATEGIST THAT HAS EVER GRACED THIS LAND!

me:.....

*gets critical hit on next chance*

A CRITICAL HIT!? I WOULD EXPECT NO LESS OF MY RIVAL, AS WE ARE GODS WALKING AMONG MEN. NAY, NEANDERTHALS WITH OUR GREATNESS. Unfortunately I have lost so you should know face the champion my brother.

Me:... Ok

*uses type advantage*

I SEE YOUR POKEMON AND YOURSELVES HAVE MADE QUITE THE BOND TO PULL OFF A MOVE LIKE THAT, THAT WAS FUCKING WICKED HARRY EXPELLIARMUS

OP
OP
Splader

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
*is having battle*

*uses type advantage*

HAHAAAA I SHOULD EXPECT NO LESS OF MY RIVAL, THE GREATEST STRATEGIST THAT HAS EVER GRACED THIS LAND!

A CRITICAL HIT!? I WOULD EXPECT NO LESS OF MY RIVAL, AS WE ARE GODS WALKING AMONG MEN. NAY, NEANDERTHALS WITH OUR GREATNESS. Unfortunately I have lost so you should know face the champion my brother.

*uses type advantage*

I SEE YOUR POKEMON AND YOURSELVES HAVE MADE QUITE THE BOND TO PULL OFF A MOVE LIKE THAT, THAT WAS FUCKING WICKED HARRY EXPELLIARMUS
And then his brother does it too!

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
I was pretty indifferent to X/Y's story and never expected to actively dislike a pokemon game's story, but somehow Sword/Shield managed to do it. Lore dumps every once in a while, the adults doing all of the cool plot stuff while preventing the player from doing anything "because they're a child," and then the awful non-League stuff in Wyndon (including an elevator section and "pls wait one day before you initiate the apocalypse," resulting in the biggest anti-climax moment in the series) was dreadful.

*is having battle*

*uses type advantage*

*uses type advantage*

I hated this, Hop says this shit every time you battle him like you've never done it before.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I am fine with a bad story as long as they don't spend almost the entire game hand-feeding progress to you, never letting you just go do your thing for a while, which happened in Sun/Moon. At least Sword/Shield give you the Wild Area to mess around in if you get tired of going down the main path, so they're not entirely the worst.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Hop was the worst part of the game, and one of the worst characters in existence. I don't really have an issue with the rest of the story, but there isn't much there.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
This forum and hyperbole is straight up nauseating. Everything is always the worst ever or the best ever. Urrgh.

The story is just fine and inoffensive. imo.

You were nauseated? Did you have to go and puke your guts out after reading this thread?

Or were you, a member of this forum, engaging in some straight-up nauseating hyperbole?

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
*is having battle*

*uses type advantage*

*uses type advantage*

Lol exactly

To be fair, the only trainers who know about type advantage are you, Hop, and Leon. All other gym leaders and rivals seem to have missed that concept.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not much to say other than I agree and feel the same way. Sword & Shield's story isn't just bad, it's actively bad. At times it could pass for parody. A story this terrible can only be the result of being nobody's priority. It's as if any story the game has is purely an accident.

Pokémon is not known for deep, challenging narratives, but even its most basic and straightforward stories have been better than this.

If you've ever wanted a Pokémon game with no story at all, but would still somehow like to be interrupted constantly and gated to the point of digital asphyxiation, have I got a treat for you.

Descapp

Oct 27, 2017
If you removed all the Galar lore, Rose's plan, the legendaries etc from the game and leave it with only the gym challenge, it would be an improvement

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
A bit off topic but which would you recommend: Sun or Ultra Sun? I remember reading some negative stuff about US.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
A bit off topic but which would you recommend: Sun or Ultra Sun? I remember reading some negative stuff about US.
Ultra Sun. You can catch all the legends, there's the rainbow rocket episode where you battle villains from previous gens, the game is a bit more difficult than vanilla Sun/Moon and there are very cool moves tutors which are not present in Sun/Moon.
Plus, the online is very active.

Also, Sun and Moon are missing mega evolution stones while Ultra Sun has them all.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the story wasn't bad. It basically turned into an action movie at the end.

The only thing I didn't like about it is the false ending aspect of it. Like I just wanted to beat the champion and get on with post game stuff, then all of a sudden I'm in a 3 hour long action movie out of nowhere.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Sun. the Ultra games ruined the appeal of the main villain
Ultra Sun. You can catch all the legends, there's the rainbow rocket episode where you battle villains from previous gens, the game is a bit more difficult than vanilla Sun/Moon and there are very cool moves tutors which are not present in Sun/Moon.
Plus, the online is very active.

Also, Sun and Moon are missing mega evolution stones while Ultra Sun has them all.
See lol.

I mostly want to play it because of the story cause some people say it's good and I'm curious. Did they change the characters/story that much in Ultra?