• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In general I think Nintendo's online functionality is still lacking, and while Splatoon 2 plays great Smash can be very hit it miss. NES game archives wasn't exactly doing it for me either, and the family plan I plunked down for so my kids and I could play wasn't exactly a high value proposition for me especially with Fortnite, the main online game my daughter plays, not needing a sub.

Enter in Tetris99. While yes the package itself is kinda bare bones the gameplay loop is great. It's one of those just one more round type of games for me. It's the first time I've thought "man I'm glad I paid for Nintendo online for a year!"

It also makes me excited for the off chance we get more stuff like this in the future.

This random shadow drop of a Tetris battle royale game makes me want to tell everyone with a Switch that the paid online is something everyone should consider.

Oct 27, 2017
They did make a point at their financial briefing that they wanted to increase the value of Switch Online. I'd expect more of these kinds of online games in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's the first thing that made me want it. To be fair, I can't afford Smash, and if I could, I would've gotten it for Smash.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I played three hours of Tetris 99 yesterday, and the whole time, I was thinking how this immediately made the Nintendo online service feel good. I'd love for this to be a big component of the model; Exclusive, small-form multiplayer titles.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Turns out it wasn't virtual console that people needed to be sold on the service, it was exclusive original games for the service

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I agree. I mean if they had put this game on the eShop for $20 I would have bought it so the subscription has paid for itself in my eyes. If they do games like this once or twice a year, I'll be very content.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
It's simple yet effective. Echoing other posters when I say I'm excited for "Nintendo" takes on other online offerings. Especially if they're surprise shadow drops throughout the year. It's def a good start.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I agree lol. It's so simple but soooo good. I wouldn't mind Nintendo throwing a small free experimental game on the service every two months.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This is precisely the kind of game they need to sell the service. It's super rad and I look forward to seeing whatever they've got cooking next.

This is probably the game they teased in their Q&A as "one that will be a perfect fit for Nintendo Switch Online".

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
$20 for 12 months access to Tetris 99. Sounds like a steal.

I'm not not sure if this was meant in a joking way or not, but regardless, I'm not a fan of this sentiment.
I don't want to Nintendo to see reactions that this is what makes their online service worthwhile and be content.

This is first an foremost an online service and their features in that regard are still very lacking and behind the curve.
It's a nice add, no doubt, but the core online service and features should be the main value.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
I guess it's just the download you can do, though I'd seen others without subs saying they were playing it.

Maybe they got a trial to play this?

I'm not not sure if this was meant in a joking way or not, but regardless, I'm not a fan of this sentiment.
I don't want to Nintendo to see reactions that this is what makes their online service worthwhile and be content.

This is first an foremost an online service and their features in that regard are still very lacking and behind the curve.
It's a nice add, no doubt, but the core online service and features should be the main value.

I think I'm far more extreme than you.

Nintendo should not charge me PERIOD to use another developers service. It's nice they gave a free pass to play Fortnite. But other online games stopped working because I don't have NSO. Why should I pay Nintendo so they can flip a bit so I can play another game by another developer on that developers servers that they get no upkeep money from Nintendo?

Every other game company pays for their servers with the profits of the games they sell. Nintendo, Sony and Xbox started their subscription service by charging a toll that thee then pocket. It doesn't seem right to me.

No, what almost seems reasonable to me is paying for the NES library (which they are rolling out slowly rather than dumping original ROMs), Mario Maker 2 server space to host and access levels, and free games that they purchase for subscribers. That all makes sense to me...

... except other companies use the profits from games to pay for the server upkeep (Mario Maker 2). And free games to drive people to use your hardware is as much a reason as any to have Tetris 99. But it's reasonable to say 'give us monthly money and we will give your games as part of your subscription.'

I'm not a fan of 'give us money to play your games online.' I don't think even EA does that.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say finally but it's a step in the right direction for making someone want to buy a Nintendo Online subscription. More titles like this would be welcoming.

Oct 28, 2017

Reggie has made it pretty clear that some of the less popular "features" of the online service (like smartphone based voice chat) aren't going anywhere despite him admitting that not many people like it.

What that means is Nintendo is probably already backed into a corner for online features for the Switch 1 based on previous design decisions, and we probably won't see a major overhaul (with features like OS based party chat) until the next generation or at least a mid gen Pro model. Or something like Splatoon won't see dedicated servers until Splatoon 3 at the earliest.

Given that the concept that they are doing SOMETHING to give the service more value between now and whenever the next generation comes outside of old NES games is very welcome. They got the message the service has to be more than nostalgia and cloud saves, and Tetris 99 is a step in the right direction.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
How come some free games need NSO and some don't? It should be one or the other.

I suspect it's based on the strength of in-game purchases. Fortnite people spend a ton of money in, so Nintendo allows it to increase revenue. Tetris 99 has no in game purchases, and so is locked out.

It's all about revenues.

So it is one or the other: free online if you charge people a recurring fee that Nintendo can take a cut of, no free otherwise. It's pretty simple.

Deleted member 12162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is just the beginning of it. If they continue with NSO exclusive specials like this, then the subscription will literally be a steal.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Makes me sad I missed out on all those family plan memberships being sold here in the B/S/T thread lol

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

That has never been the value of this service since it didn't brought any improvement on online gaming.

Considering Nintendo doesn't want to invest on dedicated servers i'm all in for these special offers.

AMAKAN93

May 5, 2018
I'm a huge Smash fan, I attend tournaments, watch streams daily and put hundreds of hours into For Glory- I was convinced I'd pay for NSO on 12/7, but after trying the free trial the online just wasn't worth it to me.

I paid for the family plan immediately after the Direct on Wednesday and played all night until I got 1st place.