• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
It's great, sure. But let's be real, cloud saves made it worth it in the first place.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
They did make a point at their financial briefing that they wanted to increase the value of Switch Online. I'd expect more of these kinds of online games in the future.

I hope that's the case. I'm all for more pure gameplay experiences.

I haven't been one to complain about Switch Online because of its low cost, but I'm all for added value. The NES games are fun, but this is a fantastic game. Now I just need to get a few first place finishes to make me feel better, but I've done plenty of top 10 (2nd being my best) so I'm happy with myself so far.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they got a trial to play this?

I think I'm far more extreme than you.

Nintendo should not charge me PERIOD to use another developers service. It's nice they gave a free pass to play Fortnite. But other online games stopped working because I don't have NSO. Why should I pay Nintendo so they can flip a bit so I can play another game by another developer on that developers servers that they get no upkeep money from Nintendo?

Every other game company pays for their servers with the profits of the games they sell. Nintendo, Sony and Xbox started their subscription service by charging a toll that thee then pocket. It doesn't seem right to me.

No, what almost seems reasonable to me is paying for the NES library (which they are rolling out slowly rather than dumping original ROMs), Mario Maker 2 server space to host and access levels, and free games that they purchase for subscribers. That all makes sense to me...

... except other companies use the profits from games to pay for the server upkeep (Mario Maker 2). And free games to drive people to use your hardware is as much a reason as any to have Tetris 99. But it's reasonable to say 'give us monthly money and we will give your games as part of your subscription.'

I'm not a fan of 'give us money to play your games online.' I don't think even EA does that.
Do you think, for example, that EA is using Sony and Microsoft servers for their games? When Anthem servers were ablaze during the demo, do you think Bioware was frantically working on Sony/Microsoft servers?

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Do you think, for example, that EA is using Sony and Microsoft servers for their games? When Anthem servers were ablaze during the demo, do you think Bioware was frantically working on Sony/Microsoft servers?

No, I don't think that. My understanding is that every publisher must use their own servers. This is definitely true of smaller developers. If larger developers have specific deals that is their own arrangement. And I suspect something they pay for anyway.

I used to be okay with paying for services like NSO, etc. But then I found out none of this money goes to the online infrastructure of 3rd party games, but it still locks out 3rd party games. That I'm not cool with.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People speculated when SNES library was added the annual price would go up. Still think that's the case now we have this built into the price?

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Haven't played it yet, but its good to see Nintendo add newer stuff like this to the subscription service.

They should have a MMO lite GaaS title thats free with the subscription too.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy, I don't play online games ever I'm anti social and yet I bought Online for this, cos when I tried it just felt like playing a regular game, but I know tetris, even though I'm no good at it, I played that game since the Gameboy days

Whats even more Bizzare I lost my job the other day, so trying to make sure everything I buy now I'm careful with you know bills etc but as a treat to myself I bought this Online Subscription for 12 months, it cost me less than £20 and is something that will last me a whole year, so even if it takes me a while to get a new job at least I have something and even if I cannot afford another Switch game in the next 12 months there are always the NES ones, now Tetris and hopefully Snes too by end of year, to tide me over.

I had considered it for all the retro games, but Tetris pushed my desicion lol

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they add those SNES games that were data-mined awhile ago.

In the meantime, I appreciate cloud save backups and the occasional online play.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Tetris 99 alone makes it worth it, but NSO had some though not enough value before and now that Tetris 99 exists, it just became worth it.

Deband

Oct 29, 2017
I subbed again, after cancelling last month cos I wasn't using online much. Been playing puyo puyo and tetris effect a ton lately as well.

Dec 23, 2017
They need way more. They also need to admit there mistakes and fix their chat. There is so much more that can be done but I fear "Nintendo" will be "Nintendo".... for what it is worth Tetris 99 shows they at least are trying.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Someone needs to make sure Puyo Puyo eSports gets out of Japan. hint hint nintendo

I mean I know since Switch is region free nothing's really stopping me from playing it. But, like, c'mon. Someone should give it a brisk localization effort.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually going to get nintendo online (just a one month sub) to try out the tetris game. Looks awesome (as should be expected from Arika)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't think that. My understanding is that every publisher must use their own servers. This is definitely true of smaller developers. If larger developers have specific deals that is their own arrangement. And I suspect something they pay for anyway.

I used to be okay with paying for services like NSO, etc. But then I found out none of this money goes to the online infrastructure of 3rd party games, but it still locks out 3rd party games. That I'm not cool with.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Rereading your comment, if you are basically saying "paying money to pay online on any platform is a rip-off/scam as it's just about making money and not about improving online services" then I would agree.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I came here to post this, I gave the 7-day trial ago yesterday and played about 3 hours tetris solid, IMO totally worth £3.50/month or £20 a year.

I'm even enjoying some of the NES titles, which I thought would be a struggle. Despite it being a small offering it's by no means a rip-off.

I would easily pay more if they got some SNES or N64 titles on there though, can't see it, which is a shame.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since the offline mode was patched in, I'm now wondering how many of the 98 people I'm matched with are actual people and not just bots.

Zelent

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
I feel like I'm the only person in this world that dislikes Tetris.

I'd rather a PuyoPuyo99 or Super Puzzle Fighter99.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I've played the NES games for 135 hours now, so yeah, 5-6 USD is definitely worth it just for that. Also had a good time with Tetris 99, though it got repetitive pretty fast.

Makes me sad I missed out on all those family plan memberships being sold here in the B/S/T thread lol
I still have a free spot on my family plan, if you're up for paying 5 bucks to get in on the remaining six months? :D PM me.