• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I might have set my expectations a tad too high, but I found The Last of Us kind of underwhelming. It has little going for itself apart from the well-depicted bonding of the two leading stowaways as it forces you to go through countless dull stealth sequences and an ending twist that's so obvious the only surprising thing about it is that they thought it'd surprise you.

It had the potential to be master piece, but it ended up as "that zombie flick 97" with a bit of parental bonding on the side instead. Naughty Dog just aren't adept at telling complex stories.

-The plot feels like a combination of set pieces

-There is only one goal throughout the whole story

-Full of dull stealth sequences

- The twist could've been seen from miles away

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Quite the opposite, I think it deserves its reputation as being one of the finest games ever made. Few games marry gameplay and the influence of cinema as well as The Last of Us.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I quite enjoyed it. More than Uncharted 4 by miles. It was rather bleak and depressing and its atmosphere did a great job wit that.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
It's a great game for sure.

That said, things like "The Last of Us ruined gaming for me" and "The Last of Us is better than The Road" kind of oversells it. It's a pretty good cover shooter with a decent, if highly derivative, story.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hell no. It just lack of a government/state/army/police chapter where Joel should have rescue Elie and the players learn more about what stays as legal forces.

Oct 26, 2017
Man, why does everyone have to make some kind of click-baity title for every highly rated game they don't like? Why not just title it stuff like "My issues with [Insert Game Here]" or "[Insert Game Here] isn't very good"? Hardly any of them are over-rated, it's more often than not just a game that didn't click with you

Now, on to your arguments, well...I don't actually disagree. I didn't like The Last of Us either. Granted, I never beat it but I made a fair amount of progress into it before complete disinterest kicked in and I dropped it. It does what it sets out to do rather well but it wasn't for me, much like most of Naughty Dog's HD output

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell nah. One of my top 5 favorite games of all time and I'm not even usually a huge fan of zombie stuff.

Dec 2, 2017
It's had the inevitable backlash all highly regarded well reviewed media gets, but no its not overrated, you just don't like it, which is fine.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
It's the type of game I enjoyed to play non-stop all the way to the end. That's it though, I don't feel I need to or ever want to play it again, one and done, but a good one at that.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
It tells a much more engaging and interesting story than anything from their other series, but it still falls short in being a fun game to play.

There are a few people who agree with me on here. Not many, though.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It is a little bit. The amount of times they repeat the part with Ellie standing on top of a board while you move it with Joel was ridiculous. I swear it happened like 7 times.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us has a purposefully simple story. Neil Druckmann himself calls it simple.

What makes the game good are the well written, well acted characters.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its overrated.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Gameplay wise, sure it's a little overrated but the story is gripping, tight, and great. overall i'd say its perfectly rated

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I enjoyed my time with the two playthroughs I did for The Last of Us, I like many aspects of it's design from the environments to the inventory management. That being said I didn't care much for the story, it's not terrible per say but didn't do much for me.

Pro tip, avoid the term overrated, it'll make you sound arrogant to people, disliking something loved by many doesn't make it overrated.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Whether you like TLoU or not depends on how much you like cutscenes, stealth gameplay and zombie-likes.

I really don't like any of those things but still found it to be a good game. So I can imagine if you do like those things it will be a masterpiece.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
rolling_eyes_lucille_arrested_development.gif

No. It's not overrated.

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could definitely say the Uncharted games are overrated because that's reality but not TLOU, don't be so silly. Best game I've played in the last 10 years.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might have set my expectations a tad too high, but I found The Last of Us kind of underwhelming. It has little going for itself apart from the well-depicted bonding of the two leading stowaways as it forces you to go through countless dull stealth sequences and an ending twist that's so obvious the only surprising thing about it is that they thought it'd surprise you.

It had the potential to be master piece, but it ended up as "that zombie flick 97" with a bit of parental bonding on the side instead. Naughty Dog just aren't adept at telling complex stories.

-The plot feels like a combination of set pieces

-There is only one goal throughout the whole story

-Full of dull stealth sequences

- The twist could've been seen from miles away
It's a story. It's a character driven, down to earth story. What you want from it isn'tt what people like about it. The gameplay is there to accomadate the story, not the other way around. A story doesn't need ridiculous situations(which this still has) to be good.

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I always found it overrated. I enjoyed the story and dialogue and setting a lot but the gameplay never evolved through the game and it became very repetitive. Uncharted has the sane problem in my opinion.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great experience. But alas with anything that is highly praised, it will be subject to some who don't like it as much and therefore think it's overrated.

It is what it is.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More likely it's that you simple don't like it, wasn't the game you were expecting it to be and that's fine however I wouldn't classify as overate as result. Shit for that reasoning I can pretty much say that ever highly acclaimed game is overrated.

But saying that I don't think the game is the ultimate masterpiece or such, it's just a really great game.

Last edited:

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Tone, emotion, writing, acting, music, presentation, sound design, art, and story pacing are all on point. That's an accomplishment not many are able to claim.

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably my favourite Naughty Dog game, but I'm not really a ND fan anyway. I wouldn't say it's groundbreaking or anything incredible, it's just a strong well, presented version of the linear story driven shooters we often. I main issue is that the story is told almost entirely through cutscenes which is something I don't really appreciate, but the few moments of storytelling through gameplay are nice.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
There was no twist. There was never supposed to be a twist. Not every story needs a twist. What makes that segment strong is how well it depicts exactly what we expected to happen and shows how all the emotion and weight behind it.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Last of Us has a purposefully simple story. Neil Druckmann himself calls it simple.

What makes the game good are the well written, well acted characters.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its overrated.

I feel like gamers think complex story with tons of characters and plot twists is what makes a story "good", see- Bioshock Infinite.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
It's probably my favourite Naughty Dog game, but I'm not really a ND fan anyway. I wouldn't say it's groundbreaking or anything incredible, it's just a strong well, presented version of the linear story driven shooters we often. I main issue is that the story is told almost entirely through cutscenes which is something I don't really appreciate, but the few moments of storytelling through gameplay are nice.
I'd argue that the most important part of the game's storytelling is done through gameplay.

key

Nov 7, 2017
I played the opening sequence and a bit more but found the game really boring.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
The acting is phenomenal. That's it's highest point. It's not the gameplay or the actual plot itself.

Gameplay is good but, not amazing.

Plot itself is nothing that hasn't been done before.

Graphically for when it came out it is very good, 2 looks to be one that looks amazing as well.

But yeah it's pretty overrated imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.