• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it won't. A sale is a sale, whether it's a sub or a hardware purchase. If a business wants to report MAU's then fair enough but as long as hardware is being sold numbers will keep getting reported. Unless your getting soundly beaten of course where numbers could effect your brand image.
Yes it will as XCloud, Game Pass on PC and console, First Party games on Windows Store and Steam, and Minecraft remains a multiplatform juggernaut expands along with console sales. Using only console sales will only tell one a part of the story.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Gone but never forgotten. :'(
3inuvi.jpg

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think everyone, including Sony, is expecting a much more competitive landscape next gen. Sony has said as much, and if they see it, I think everyone can. That's the safe thing to say anyway at the point we are right now... forecasting specific marketshare changes is a much trickier business.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
The Playstation organization is almost completely different now than it was when the PS4 launched (and not in any positive way), so I have no idea what to expect at this point.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
MS will sell more in NA, Sony will sell more in EU, and Nintendo will outsell both of them.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good point, why do I need an Xbox in case they release a good game, if I have a gaming PC?
Next gen is about eco systems as we've already discussed, Halo via PC or xCloud is still an Xbox consumer, connected to a network serving a family of Xbox consoles (3 skus). Funny that EU is perhaps better equipped for this next gen then US in this regard, could see a huge spike in consumers for console communities in US for instance due to onboarding through other methods.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Correct pricing + FIFA 21

It actually sells itself. Don't ever underestimate the football loving young adult with cash burning a hole in their pocket.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not saying Microsoft didn't do it but let's not pretend there weren't some falls where Sony had no heavy hitter first party games and relied heavily on Destiny and CoD exclusives and marketing.

Sony relied on Destiny no doubt, it was at the PS4 reveal and they were proudly showing off Bungie on their platform. Again, that was when even they believed they were going to struggle against the Xbox One and Wii U. It turned out to be nothing like that.

The Call of Duty deal I believe is nothing like that. Activision saw the PS4 being the market leader and wanted the highest selling game series to have the sweet marketing deal on the highest selling platform. It happened two years after the PS4 launched. I doubt Sony even initiated that arrangement, it was MS's missteps that made them lose it.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
5 out of the 6 consoles they launched went on to have great success. Sony is a safe bet to succeed to some degree during gen 9, that´s my wisdom as the happy owner of all 6.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox is not going to beat PS in console sales next gen, unless something goes massively wrong on Sony's end. Xbox may be able to equal the playing field in other ways though.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes it will as XCloud, Game Pass on PC and console, First Party games on Windows Store and Steam, and Minecraft remains a multiplatform juggernaut expands along with console sales. Using only console sales will only tell only a part of the story.
It will tell us what we need to know about hardware though and how successful it is, or isn't. That's all it's ever done.

It will tell us as much next gen as it has this. Its not like we haven't had subscription services this generation either.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
If we're talking about hardware:

I don't know if i count nintendo as direct competitor, but if you do, then yeah, they won't be "dominant", they will be about equal with nintendo in terms of raw hardware numbers. Microsoft is also about services now, and so they won't sell as many xbox consoles long term but it doesn't matter, since playing on xbox will just mean playing a game on a subscription service in the future.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not gonna bet against Sony, they might not get the same advantage as this gen, but I still see them being the most successful. If we're counting most systems sold at least.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will tell us what we need to know about hardware though and how successful it is, or isn't. That's all it's ever done.

It will tell us as much next gen as it has this. Its not like we haven't had subscription services this generation either.
No it won't. These markets are only going to get bigger next gen. You're right in that all it will tell us is simply hardware. My point is Xbox has expanded this gen beyond consoles and will only invest and grow all aspects of these markets next gen.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is too early to say. We still dont have no idea what both of them have prepared, especially in regards of next gen games. Microsoft did some buying, but they still need to prove themself.

It's gonna be a good next year, can't wait to see what they have to offer :).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
What happen to that guy?
Did_you_ever_hear.jpg

It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.
It's a Sith legend. Phantom Thief was a Dark Lord of the Era, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to post threads without device to do so... He had such a knowledge of the thread creation that he could even keep the threads he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his topic posting powers, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his unknown apprentices everything he knew, then one of his apprentices banned him in his sleep. Ironic, he could save threads from death, but not himself.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like PlayStation 5 will be the leading console of its generation, for a whole variety of reasons that at this point are well trodden territory:
  • PlayStation brand power
  • Sony's marketing and logistical infrastructure in major markets around the world
  • Sony's head start over Microsoft when it comes to great compelling exclusives that people will buy their console for
  • Sony's grasp over the console market, that has just ensured that they have not had a true failure in the console market yet
However, there is a difference between being the leading console (which PS5 will be) and being the dominant console (which PS4 was earlier in the gen), and on ResetEra, I often see a lot of people expecting PS5 to replicate the kind of immense and utter large scale market domination the PS4 exercised earlier in the gen.

I don't think that will happen, and there's a very basic and simple reason as to why: the PS4 had the benefit of launching in a market with no viable competition. Nintendo completely face planted with the biggest mainstream failure in console history, while Microsoft suffered from the worst messaging and marketing debacle in the console market of all time, which continues to plague Xbox One to this day. Sony had a clear field, the entire console market to themselves, for all practical purposes - and this, combined with their inherent strengths and advantages (as outlined above) led to the kind of utter domination we saw in the early years.

This is not to say that Sony got "lucky", or that they only won because the competition messed up. To reiterate (for the third time), Sony played their hand perfectly, and they were always going to win, no matter what, on the sheer inherent strength they have built up over the last two decades. I'm not handwaving their success as luck - I am saying the extent of their success definitely was influenced by the non-existence of any meaningful competition in the market at the time.

The PS5 launches in a vastly different market. Nintendo is resurgent, and has reasserted itself as a top seller with market-appealing exclusives. More importantly (in terms of direct competition), Xbox is in a far better position now than it was at the start of the generation. Microsoft has carefully studied its mistakes and put in the legwork to try and address the problems that took it down earlier this generation: they have purchased studios to bolster their first party, they have valuable offerings like Game Pass, plus initiatives like Play Anywhere amd BC to counter the image of them being "anti consumer"; even if Xbox ends up not doing well outside the anglosphere, in the Anglosphere, it will end up doing far better than the Xbox One did - and that success will obviously come at the expense of the PS5.

I still expect PS5 to "win" the generation in total - but I do think it won't outsell the competition as much as the PS4 did. i think a stronger Xbox will lead to Xbox clawing back some marketshare from PlayStation - enough that PS5 won't be dominant like the PS4 was (even though it will be the leader).
Completely correct, I fully expect this gen to be really close in terms of competing hardware sales. I also reckon the switch will drop off quite significantly once they launch.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 is probably going to be the leading console but not dominant. All 3 (next gen) platforms seem to be in positive light atm. Let's hope nobody messes up like at the beginning of this gen.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Unless Sony makes one catastrophic fuckup or Microsoft somehow ramps up its exclusive software department to have more high-ranking exclusives than Sony, then we should totally expect the PS5 to dominate.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
PS5 is probably going to be the leading console but not dominant. All 3 (next gen) platforms seem to be in positive light atm. Let's hope nobody messes up like at the beginning of this gen.
This is what I'm saying. Shouldn't be a controversial statement. And yet, here we are.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
All they need to do is announced God of War 2 (2021), Horizon 2, and Spider-Man 2, and it will stomp.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Completely correct, I fully expect this gen to be really close in terms of competing hardware sales. I also reckon the switch will drop off quite significantly once they launch.
Only way ms can keep it close is that they have to massively dominate the U.S./UK. Just dont see that happening

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Can someone please explain to me where these extra sales are going to come from? Europe and Asia are basically non-starters. So are people expecting Microsoft to heavily outsell Sony in the US (like 2:1)? Are console sales supposed to suddenly experience rapid growth in South America or Africa or something?

Because It's very obvious that Microsoft's path to expansion is not traditional consoles; they simply can't compete on a global level as far as selling boxes goes. That's why they're pushing PC and xCloud so hard—go to where people already are instead of trying to make them come to you.

Now of course the downside to that is that it's also easier for them to leave. To PC gamers, you're just another 3rd party, to mobile users, you're just another subscription service. Still, it's probably their best bet going forward.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
"Did you hear about the tragedy of Phantom Thief The Spammer?"
ironic.jpg
Did_you_ever_hear.jpg

It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.
It's a Sith legend. Phantom Thief was a Dark Lord of the Era, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to post threads without device to do so... He had such a knowledge of the thread creation that he could even keep the threads he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his topic posting powers, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his unknown apprentices everything he knew, then one of his apprentices banned him in his sleep. Ironic, he could save threads from death, but not himself.

lmao

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please explain to me where these extra sales are going to come from? Europe and Asia are basically non-starters. So are people expecting Microsoft to heavily outsell Sony in the US? Are console sales subddenly supposed to suddenly experience rapid growth in South America or Africa or something?

Because It's very obvious that Microsoft's path to expansion is not traditional consoles; they simply can't compete on a global level as far as selling boxes goes. That's why they're pushing PC and xCloud so hard—go to where people already are instead of trying to make them come to you.

Now of course the downside to that is that it's also easier for them to leave. To PC gamers, you're just another 3rd party, to mobile users, you're just another subscription service. Still, it's probably their best bet going forward.
You're spot on. I don't know what OP is thinking, but Sony will outsell MS by at least double next-gen. That much is certain. The Xbox brand is DEAD in many important markets.

Nov 15, 2018
This might be the first time in history where none of console developers screw up, so no I don't expect any 1 console to dominate.

And I doubt the ps5 will be outselling the Switch so that already means it wont dominate. Xbox is making major improvements so they can potentially do better than they did with the 360.