• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Ok… so I totally thought Forza was coming out today?

Turns out it's only coming out today if you buy the the premium edition for $99, otherwise it's next week for Game Pass subscribers?

I thought 1st party games were day 1 release for Game Pass subscribers?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Because it's not the official release date, it's early access for the Premium Edition. GamePass users are able to get early access as well, but you have to buy the Premium upgrade bundle, which is the Premium Edition without the base game included.

The standalone base game releases next week.

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Day 1 is the first day customers get to play the game. Don't let big corporations defineit otherwise.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Ok… so I totally thought Forza was coming out today?

Turns out it's only coming out today if you buy the the premium edition for $99, otherwise it's next week for Game Pass subscribers?

I thought 1st party games were day 1 release for Game Pass subscribers?

Yeah, basically. There's also a $50 DLC pack you can buy on top of the Game Pass version to get early access without buying the full premium edition for $100.

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Game Pass is a scam. Be a reasonable paying-for-games human being and buy it on Steam for $99.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
$99 for early access. That's oldskool but it didn't use to be the publishers themselves getting in on it.

wotta

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically Microsoft's way of getting people to buy the Premium Add On Bundle and pay £35.99 for the game even though it is otherwise free on Game Pass. A Clever marketing technic which others use too.

BTW if you are in the UK ShopTo sells the Premium Edition for £65. Much better value than paying the extra on Game Pass IMO as at least you own the game forever.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Game Pass is a scam. Be a reasonable paying-for-games human being and buy it on Steam for $99.
a-little-bit-spicy-black-guy.gif

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It is an interesting grey area but is still technically true, it isn't day one. And going by how well it seems to be selling, I would expect them to continue this going forward. It is only a few days so, no big deal.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I can see you have FOMO.
It's ok, I have too. It's only three days now, though, it'll be ok.

Will be harder not to pay the early access for Halo, though.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
You could see it as being day -4, which technically isn't day 1.
It's dumb but looking at the player number that was posted in the OT last night it's definitely working. Easy way to sell a $99 SKU or a $45 upgrade to existing subscribers.
I'm glad my Halo XSX isn't out, yet. I might have caved as well...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its less paying for early access and more buying the DLC season pass which also gets you early access. I think the premium upgrade for GP is still less than the two separate DLCs will be.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The standard edition release date isn't until next week, which is the version Game Pass entitles you to. You will get that version of the game on day one.

Do I think this "premium early access" stuff is silly? Yes.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
This isnt really a gamepass issue, this is moreso an issue with charging us the premium edition for 4d early access, kinda hate it all around in any game.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
You'll get to play one of the best games of they year for free* (GP) in a couple of days.
But yes, Gamepass is a scam because early access exists.

THE shittiest of takes.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Publishers invented some bullshit called "Early Access" to milk money out of their most devoted (and impatient) supporters. So we all have to pretend that the game isn't officially released until next week... even though its absolutely available for purchase if you give them an extra $40.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I don't think its a big deal, but I also don't think we should necessarily pile on the OP either. Ultimately, they are paying for an aspect of a service that they feel isn't being met, there is no harm in them asking the question. I don't know, I feel like some people are being unnecessarily hostile for a question that is ultimately a little legitimate.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's kinda ridiculous to see people defending this. Early access for those that pay more is a terrible trend and should be criticized more.

Microsoft is very much using the FOMO in their favour to get extra sales from Game Pass subscribers. I think that's kinda whack. If this service really is their focus, Game Pass should offer the absolute best experience for its users when it comes to first party titles. Making the subscribers choose between waiting longer or paying extra sucks.

Also weird to see people attacking OP so much and suggesting he called Game Pass "a scam", something they very much did not.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I think this thread is being a little harsh towards OP. But nah OP, the new thing seems to be charging extra for early (day 1) access. BF2042 comes out next Friday and is doing the same thing. And apparently Halo Infinite could be doing it as well based off a thread here.

GP is sweet, but corporations are still trying to take your money however possible. In this case, I'd imagine they're targeting the FOMO crowd.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
As far as I'm concerned early access is day 1, they just try to charge more money and it seems to be working.

I do agree that this practice sucks.

The standard release is basically day 1 + whatever days.

You'll get to play one of the best games of they year for free* (GP) in a couple of days.
But yes, Gamepass is a scam because early access exists.

THE shittiest of takes.
Early Access is the scam lol. If it's like a month or two early access then maybe there's some value.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
Day 1 for me is always the day the game comes out in stores. So the promise of Gamepass releases being on day 1 stays true in this case imo

But yeah, early access is just an imaginary benefit like it always is. it's an artificial thing they use to "reward" customers who pay premium. It's also an attempt to lure people into paying more.

To me i just paid to get the DLC i always get on Forza games. i couldn't imagine having a 4 day early access as a reason to pay a premium

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Publishers invented some bullshit called "Early Access" to milk money out of their most devoted (and impatient) supporters. So we all have to pretend that the game isn't officially released until next week... even though its absolutely available for purchase if you give them an extra $40.

This..

I don't think its a big deal, but I also don't think we should necessarily pile on the OP either. Ultimately, they are paying for an aspect of a service that they feel isn't being met, there is no harm in them asking the question. I don't know, I feel like some people are being unnecessarily hostile for a question that is ultimately a little legitimate.

And especially this. People need to chill in here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It is just 4 days but it's still lame, I complained about these shenanigans back in 2016 when they first did it with Gears. Early access is just an arbitrary date to bait people into buying Ultimate Editions, it's not like they can't just unlock it for everyone when it's just digital.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I do kinda wish GPU folks got the Ultimate Edition like with Gears 5...but I guess they do have a shit ton of DLC stuff that they'd rather have people pay for xD

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
It's basically Microsoft's way of getting people to buy the Premium Add On Bundle and pay £35.99 for the game even though it is otherwise free on Game Pass. A Clever marketing technic which others use too.

BTW if you are in the UK ShopTo sells the Premium Edition for £65. Much better value than paying the extra on Game Pass IMO as at least you own the game forever.

This is like saying anything is free after you pay for it. The marketing of Game Pass is truly successful, hehe.

OnT: I think this type of price discrimination strategy is only going to increase, with many games becoming somewhere inbetween of the standard payed game and F2P with paid addons woth Game Pass.

(I have Game Pass and I like it)

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
I got the premium addon for 28€ and it works with the GP version and early access. You dont need the 99€ version.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
Lol yep.

We also get it to have it for "free" even though we pay a monthly sub and never own it unless we make another purchase to own it. So blessed

Last edited:

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Forza I can wait until the actual Day 1, but Halo Infinite you know I'll be buying that early access,

Status
Not open for further replies.