• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm old enough to remember the days of all dpad movement. I 100% the og trilogies of Crash and Spyro with a dpad. The dpads of the GBA and DS were how I beat the old Mario games. But an eternity of modern games on Xbox controllers means that I can't help but use the stick.

I'll think "Symphony of the Night was really made for the dpad" and I'll use the dpad for a little bit. And it'll feel weird. Then my hand will just naturally drift over and I'll use the stick for the rest of the game. It's a habit I probably need to break for Mario Maker 2.

Oct 31, 2017
I've been playing since the NES days and even when playing an old eShop title I prefer analog! I'm digging into the Castlevania Collection tonight and it's going to be stick all the way. It's all about using what you are most comfortable with. I'm a huge MegamanX fan and I prefer playing it on keyboard over a controller.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If implemented correctly, I like how an analog stick approximates the general feel/tilt of an arcade joystick, so I think it's preferable in a lot of cases. Not in every one, but I do find myself using it as the default more often than not for games I grew up with playing w/ d-pad.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing games since the early 80's and have been surprised how well adapted the analog has been in many retro and 2D games. I do it often too.

Really not a big issue. Feels like the way the way these sticks adhere to our thumbs with more precise throw, less deadzone, greater sensitivity, especially comparing say the Switch Pro Controller to the N64 or PS1 analog. It's not really the same tech at all. Understandable it works well today comparatively.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm the opposite! I play modern games with a d-pad. I play everything with a d-pad if I have the option.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Not at all. The analog stick is comfy and precise. I prefer a dpad strongly but i can see the stick is clearly better for some.

I wish pressure dpad would come back. We hardly knew ye. I want dual pressure sensitive dpads.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I use it a fair bit. It's arguably more comfortable than what passes for a d-pad on the Switch.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You're a god awful person. I'm ashamed to look at you. Now go wash off your face. You disgust me.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Play whatever you want. Generally a d-pad will be more accurate but how important that is depends on the game.

Deleted member 11832

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, modern gampads are not helping. Most dpads are trash, and the DS4 is pretty much the last controller to have a decent one.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I use the analog stick for most 2D games because it's just more comfortable on my thumb for long periods and I can usually play with it without any issues just fine. There are a few exceptions, like, you mention Symphony of the Night, but for the PS4 port I did eventually switch back to the d-pad because the special move inputs could be performed a lot more reliably than with the stick.

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Should have added a poll to the topic....

But nah, man. You do you. Whatever comes most natural to you. I prefer FPS with controller because I suck at WASD's

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
those systems all had analog joysticks as an aftermarket option, so you're not betraying anything, you're living the gamer deluxe.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't judge you for it. I just think you're at a disadvantage. You really need discrete control for 2D games (either walk or don't). All that in between motion on an analog stick is wasted time.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
D-pad all the way, unless you're using joycons, then yeah the analog stick is basically mandatory.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do you but you're at a disadvantage. Try playing Megaman 2 with an analog stick and it's a pain. His movement is digital. It's either walking or not walking, you don't need the extra effort of tilting a stick to move him. Changing directions quickly is needed in some of these games and the analog stick is a little clumsy. If it works for you it works but the split second it takes you to move the stick from the far left back to the center and the to the right in order to change directions is a handicap.

Last edited:

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
You are a bad person without question, but admitting your faults is the first path to redemption. :)

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
if you're comfortable with it, don't worry about it

I can't do it, it never feels right to me

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
D-pad all the way, unless you're using joycons, then yeah the analog stick is basically mandatory.
I brute forced myself to get used to playing Garou with the joycon's "d-pad". I don't recommend it, lol. I have to say MK11 feels pretty good, but that's because of the nature of inputs in MK. Tetris also works great.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I think the Joycons' analogue sticks lend themselves quite well towards a lot of 2d games. The travel is so short and it feels better in that regards. I played Hollow Knight pretty much exclusively this way and never really had issues. In fact it was really helpful with the platforming sections where you had to get across spikes and you're constantly having to rotate between down and diagonally.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nope, I wish I could do it! I always end up ducking when I try to walk left or right or something.
Just can't handle these round gates for the analog stick. The Gamecube controller had a hexagon shape around the stick and I never had problems.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I can sort of relate. But I found myself a better deal. Got myself a NeoGeo CD Joypad (with USB connector) and it's my go-to controller for playing retro games when possible. That micro-switch stick with its clickiness gives me goosebumps just thinking about. It's like I reinvented sex here.

First video I found showcasing it, sort of:

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
if you can comfortably progress without cheese i'd say you're doing well and there is no reason to change.

i can't do it.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
When forced to use a 360 controller I would but it was grudgingly. Anything requiring quick changes of direction I find especially hard to do with analog sticks. On a good dpad I can rock my thumb instantly, the sticks feel like they require more travel and it kills my reaction time.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm the opposite! I play modern games with a d-pad. I play everything with a d-pad if I have the option.
Yeah, me too. Analog sticks just don't have as much precision for me. You never know when you throw it in the top left corner and it's going to only register that as left or only as up. On a d-pad I smash my big ass finger between them effectively pressing both and carry on. I rarely play fighting games with analog sticks for this very reason. There's also the left and right movement when sometimes if you have even the slightest upward angle (seriously like 1-2 degrees higher than straight left or right) and the game has your character jump. Why deal with that when you can so easily use the d-pad and not ever worry about bullshit like that.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Some retro or D-pad games actually work better with the 3DS circle pad, like Fantasy Zone 2 W and Mario Kart DS.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would give you such a dirty look. Nah, I kid. I try to default to the dpad for platforners and similar games, but often find myself slipping to the analog stick out of habit. There are games that do legitimately feel better with one or the other, but you do you.