• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Great post! Glad you enjoyed my beautiful city. Please come back once we're out of this Covid funk.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
It's a bit jarring seeing pictures of NYC before things went to shit with the outbreak. But there's something nice about them. Personally, walking through the desolate streets is oddly relaxing so I like it. The only time streets are usually empty otherwise is when a tropical storm or blizzard hits.

I'm surprised you were able to go inside the Javits Center to charge your phone. But If I had to take a guess, there was probably an event the days you were there. Otherwise, it's closed to the public. And the biggest faux pas tourists commit on the Brooklyn Bridge is posing for pictures on the bike lane. If you go to some of the more poor/not ultra gentrified neighborhoods, you'll see your share of unfit people. Heck, you might spot a few on the subway and the "comic place" you passed by which was probably The Uncommons, a tabletop cafe 3 blocks away from Washington Square Park.

Anyway, it's always interesting to see NY through the eyes of an outsider. Maybe next time you're in town post- COVID-19 outbreak, you can hit up some regular NYC Era haunts including Action Burger, Clinton Hall, Albion Bar, and Drop Off Service.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It's a bit jarring seeing pictures of NYC before things went to shit with the outbreak. But there's something nice about them. Personally, walking through the desolate streets is oddly relaxing so I like it. The only time streets are usually empty otherwise is when a tropical storm or blizzard hits.

I'm surprised you were able to go inside the Javits Center to charge your phone. But If I had to take a guess, there was probably an event the days you were there. Otherwise, it's closed to the public. And the biggest faux pas tourists commit on the Brooklyn Bridge is posing for pictures on the bike lane. If you go to some of the more poor/not ultra gentrified neighborhoods, you'll see your share of unfit people. Heck, you might spot a few on the subway and the "comic place" you passed by which was probably The Uncommons, a tabletop cafe 3 blocks away from Washington Square Park.

Anyway, it's always interesting to see NY through the eyes of an outsider. Maybe next time you're in town post- COVID-19 outbreak, you can hit up some regular NYC Era haunts including Action Burger, Clinton Hall, Albion Bar, and Drop Off Service.

Yes. There was an event there the following day. I think it was for beauty products or something like that.

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Yes. There was an event there the following. I think it was for beauty products or something like that.
Yup, the Javits Center usually hosts all kinds of events year-round including New York Comic Con and the NY Marathon. It pales in comparison to the size of convention centers in the south, midwest, and the west coast. But the Javits Center's Crystal Palace is quite a beauty with all the natural light that comes through. It always feels like I'm in an airport whenever I'm there to work an event.

You may or may not have noticed the statue of Jacob Javits and the bronze chair or the Lego replica of the Javits Center as you went in and out. Furthermore, the Javits Center has a lot of cool art in downstairs its administrative offices. I'm not sure if tours are available to the public. But seeing as it's owned by the state, I wouldn't be surprised if they do albeit in small groups.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
New York is a magical place. One of the best cities in the world in just so many ways. Glad you had a good time, OP.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yup, the Javits Center usually hosts all kinds of events year-round including New York Comic Con and the NY Marathon. It pales in comparison to the size of convention centers in the south, midwest, and the west coast. But the Javits Center's Crystal Palace is quite a beauty with all the natural light that comes through. It always feels like I'm in an airport whenever I'm there to work an event.

You may or may not have noticed the statue of Jacob Javits and the bronze chair or the Lego replica of the Javits Center as you went in and out. Furthermore, the Javits Center has a lot of cool art in downstairs its administrative offices. I'm not sure if tours are available to the public. But seeing as it's owned by the state, I wouldn't be surprised if they do albeit in small groups.

Thanks for the info! I didn't see the statue though

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
you didn't visit MOMA? i had a great time there
never knew about american museum of natural history, would like to check that out in the future

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
FC5-ED816-4-FCB-46-D0-90-A3-32-D66-A184-ECB.jpg
you didn't visit MOMA? i had a great time there
never knew about american museum of natural history, would like to check that out in the future

No, I didn't have time for other museum and yes you should check of the American Museum of Natural History! I highly recommend it.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
I wish I could thumbs up the OP. I grew up in the south the first 30 years of my life, then moved to Philly in 2016. My wife is from Staten Island. As a kid I was always infatuated with NYC, because my family only ever want as far north as Knoxville, TN. I love being in the corridor of great NE cities (DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, and Boston). I'm partial to Philly because I live there, but the missus and I would make NYC our second home if we could.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm glad you had a good time. I love NYC. It's one of very few cities I'd actually move to.

I mean, not right now, obviously.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
That one pic of the two skyscrapers gives me vertigo, like they're about to fall at any second...

I'm requesting pics of that retro shop, the important stuff. :P

And boy are you lucky you visited before ish hit the fan...

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, you really explored. I've been to NYC many times and I think you've seen more of the city than me.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Great OP! I was planning n going to NYC in august by myself and have a similar experience, that is cancelled now but it was great getting your experience, thanks for sharing

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i've only been once about 11 years ago. i was there for a week.

i was surprised by how much walking i done and how little i got to see. if i remember right we stayed on 54th street/broadway. furthest i walked was to the empire state building which i didn't enjoy. we got a bus that went around. i remember it stopping near where the twin towers were but never got off. never even seen the statue of liberty.

went to central park and Whitney Houston was playing. my girlfriend at the time enjoyed it but not my kind of music lol. i remember sitting at a pond but that's about it. my girlfriend dragged me about to go shopping at loads of places so my memory of that is long forgotten. i just remember we used to always go into this little shop near the hotel and we always ordered cheese + chips. the woman looked at us like we were crazy until i remembered yous call them fries. she also thought were were german lol but when i told her we were from scotland she called us english.

i don't remember much of it now and the only photos i have are printed out somewhere and not on my PC. i'd like to go back some day but probably won't be for a long time yet.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a great experience op. I was set to fly to NY... late tonight. But obviously I cancelled everything about my trip. Still have a google doc full of research. Maybe I'll get the chance to go next year :\

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you enjoyed the city. You couldn't possibly have timed that better. Lol...sigh? How have I never heard of Book End?! I'll have to check it out, assuming it survives all this craziness.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
You're gonna miss it OP
I went like 5 years ago also for 3 days and I think of going back every week

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I went to NYC with my Ex and it was fucking surreal. If you get the chance to do it again, do it with an architect. They'll point out all the little details in the building and they know all the history of a lot of shit.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
SO glad you got to go OP, and got to visit before Coronapocalypse!

NYC is sick. Went back for the first time in years a little over a year ago and this time with a ~4mos old. It was great.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Great write-up. I've been to NYC about 8 years ago (my first and only trip to the US so far) and loved it.
As somebody who only knows this city from movies and tv shows it was fascinating to see that nothing seemed exaggerated, it really is like I imagined it would be.
Have been planning to go back this year or next year. But currently I'm glad I didn't already plan something.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Glad you enjoyed the city. You couldn't possibly have timed that better. Lol...sigh? How have I never heard of Book End?! I'll have to check it out, assuming it survives all this craziness.

I just checked and it's actually called Book-Off. it's located in W 45th St between fifth and sixth ave.

Thanks for the compliments of my pictures, y'all :)

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, glad you were able to get here before everything went too crazy.

Seems you spent a lot of time in my general neck of the woods on day 1 especially. Glad you enjoyed!

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i've only been once about 11 years ago. i was there for a week.

i was surprised by how much walking i done and how little i got to see. if i remember right we stayed on 54th street/broadway. furthest i walked was to the empire state building which i didn't enjoy. we got a bus that went around. i remember it stopping near where the twin towers were but never got off. never even seen the statue of liberty.

went to central park and Whitney Houston was playing. my girlfriend at the time enjoyed it but not my kind of music lol. i remember sitting at a pond but that's about it. my girlfriend dragged me about to go shopping at loads of places so my memory of that is long forgotten. i just remember we used to always go into this little shop near the hotel and we always ordered cheese + chips. the woman looked at us like we were crazy until i remembered yous call them fries. she also thought were were german lol but when i told her we were from scotland she called us english.

i don't remember much of it now and the only photos i have are printed out somewhere and not on my PC. i'd like to go back some day but probably won't be for a long time yet.
Yeah. You don't want take those tour buses. A total waste of time and money. Nothing like walking trough the city and discovering along the way.

For reference; according to an app, I walked 14.39 miles on my second day(Manhattan is 13.4 miles long)

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
Glad you were able to visit here before all this went down! Please come back when things re-open! And may I recommend going around West Village, Williamsburg and around the Washington Square Park area!

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I love this picture I took from the Liberty Island. I love the contrast between the people and the buildings in Lower Manhattan.

7p_8KVJZ2oI2ZwwmsXEqEQpHfmtijkT5uSicRzJ3ROp5lCnevs1RpBv5obQE5JookfCCtkE5jVHfGMFY3ATD3_x59CCX4eTwfAI1DQYsE10O6wAoZfMhz6YJ2r6Sig1Aiykh5JBkbVl-DPl8fVBSqQ38r4F2e4dRl0IgesfItkEerNF1GeqZjoJr7NOLZudng57WliHs_PXYQ3O9mIzFRRse88_DqnM7SivsPhxlyGOdzbhHHyVURFuhUjcOt0gxrE8-Xrm4em9mb4gSE8p4355IsiucDiNuVzz6dZLImOOD88F15xudF0MhqDlaLbgqnAnOF6kQtrFlkef4-Ulp6pi9eONPOZZSZwCEYjkX1AxCzdoXII5t_fH5iahvYvHXdTNqaciKzYFGhaYFPwwFBFYoYgxzX4FOZ-gdoMtsVClfMIgShNehr2zHShE68HxOlVPzJ7AYWM6Ds21E__LHJKtQ-PDZmMmaQNKJ8GhiwkRtNmMxZMkbQ1gLpiccFUNNnIKfYNf3gQ4u-okTDOo3l174hGYi7INkCiEG2bEmYFHWzb4_by-tkbOYO4MVQnOjsTIuIl-qCN1OFqBJMdPe8hceQg5VzoL1Ad-J7YiW6Ob28GIN04Vd2PeAEF3zpisZqRDV9UjmEdkbkoE-06_WMLxR_9X7UtjBu8ShuKVlWAFQeuR-6E2uNY5tzqxf0SVFN0wc0zS6PVPiYPEyhWtACNWUi9qePgR3wCoqcIWqiJXUr_T8aeVlrgQ=w948-h632-no

Lower Manhattan
kUQ0uhgK7TVJqnYj7dRUCuwyaq6GGMkkvp7UaqMZtMGJicc7bN7MItfLeWOQxQftklUQOJXgQ1FUIEWAIrdx27pCcV08QsiVulYlcl-2J7E3FxkFyfTkH8UWlQsLarpRdsD_HeMrpdqU7yH9eniyTgNFeijC7CrnY-bPyWw6kEGuv4ITjEEILWwvnwXmkNrG02uI301GPTUxavDQeUQJghl7pgQugpf2pPDjm6_8Wt6dZ4nEY15K87k5dZUYD1zD60D0CpFxOUpE4kqmI8gJinZfCP_6F3sK_mQafNayEfsOfPtD_S_4PspfbiSHOY2Y62DZ3mRDjTztI6lvMcaBqpExX-rbUWa1bK3CZbxki4C-AXLI2mMNZRdbTqQb5OFrtXYh0mwgzLKCpYIaSYa3Yvfle23_6Jpgd7gd_Co9f7gtW79dCSkpupbUmouKzey0xaPY5qBDSvfocpYoh9qZIOm30y2iRTCM0mn8ZmuFTQzIZiAlo1k9EydljZ5LegeSjlSxnzaWyNpCufcg9s5sLgevQLnV49IdjKKynw5HYSb-rKq51UHM8ejTlS-Y_fouB9GSRRw3xWJOp0ySyAKvXTyHWdUGQAVCtXhZ_f-WNDUDIxfw50-gMx9P0SyNVTgIDG1va2nY88MP5YtfO8QiDkqAWP2ySKcqCMZcDsqdUtmWzvlm2tV66Ymb_MyUO6EfpUfe0DzsAl8A6mamiRJvUgigG7Wffu95dG_iz160mxiePMup4gaQxCg=w948-h632-no

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you had a great time. NYC born and raised and I still find myself in awe all the time just out and about. Just not on the subway, I'm usually mad a fuck I'm late cus the stupid train is fucking late. Come back anytime! Especially coming from Tampa those flights can be dirt cheap. Half my family moved down there and routine round trips are always under $100.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful photographs and impressions OP, come back, we want you to stay!

You can have it all year 'round.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Ahh, this post brings me so much joy I can't even put into words. I'm so glad you love my hometown. Been here all my life, 24 and counting. Although I'm bored of it and thinks there's nothing to really do here, It's nice to see tourists find things to do. im particularly surprised you say you don't feel unsafe especially in the projects area .. but I'm glad everything went well.
Might I suggest an Airbnb for a cheaper alternative :)?

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
As someone who has lived in NYC my whole life, I have to say you made the city look real pretty.
I guess I don't really take a look cause I just go where I need to go and back home.
There's actually a lot of places I haven't been to. I've only seen the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island Ferry lol.

Anyway, I also recommend MoMA. There's almost too much nice looking stuff in there. You need more than a day in there to appreciate it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you did a lot of exploring in Brooklyn! Nice to see tourists visit not just Manhattan.

I miss NYC. :(

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Thanks guy.

I mentioned on the other thread that one of the reasons I wanted to visit NYC was because my favorite childhood tv series(Ghostwriter) was filmed in Brooklyn and well..

Heh, Ghostwriter! Calvin (one of the villains) on the show grew up a few blocks over from me, my mom is still friends with his mom.

Very nice pics there (and I definitely support your camera choice). I grew up in suburban NY and it unfortunately lost its luster for me a long time ago but it's nice to see someone with fresh enthusiasm for it. It's awesome you got to go to Book Off, last time I was there I found a copy of Ao no Kiseki for PSP. And Bareburger is pretty good (there are a couple in the NYC/LI area), unfortunately they took the amazing Boar burger off the menu last time I was there :(