• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember where I read this, but I remember hearing that the reason standard Zelda dungeons weren't included in BotW was because when playtesting other Zelda games they found that the average player was most likely to quit playing in the middle of a long dungeon. Thus, they made dungeons in BotW relatively short and fully optional.

If that's true, and given the success of BotW, I don't see Nintendo returning to the NP formula for a long, long time.
I think they will definitely return to having dungeons, but they will be more Hyrule Castle than Forest Temple.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I agree. Themed shrines, and themed dungeons. Also, have the dungeons have multiple entrances, that can be stumbled upon from the open world in various ways, and can be solved and progressed through in various ways depending on the point of entry as well (basically Hyrule Castle style).

Wow this is actually a real cool idea. It might be hard, but I think it would be neat to have an underground dungeon you approach from different openings in the hub world, and you solve various puzzles to "reach" the center.

Just an idea that played off of yours. I really liked your suggestion above and it made my mind wander

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Were dungeons really that long? It's been a while since I played those older Zelda games. I remember them being challenging though and figuring things out could take a while.
Not long enough that you couldn't beat them in a single day of the 3 day cycle without slowing down time. Thats pretty short.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is actually a real cool idea. It might be hard, but I think it would be neat to have an underground dungeon you approach from different openings in the hub world, and you solve various puzzles to "reach" the center.

Just an idea that played off of yours. I really liked your suggestion above and it made my mind wander
Yeah, definitely. It's what Aonuma alluded to as well when he first announced Zelda U. I would like for that to happen. And this would also solve the progression problem (give each dungeon a critical path depending on one power or item, but have those be bypassable, via alternate paths that can be used, but are harder/longer).
I think they should definitely do something like this, because it would suit the BotW style as well.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Were dungeons really that long? It's been a while since I played those older Zelda games. I remember them being challenging though and figuring things out could take a while.
They had the correct length for a linear game like the old Zeldas, not for one like BOTW

Open world is not just a map concept, it is a game concept.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, definitely. It's what Aonuma alluded to as well when he first announced Zelda U. I would like for that to happen. And this would also solve the progression problem (give each dungeon a critical path depending on one power or item, but have those be bypassable, via alternate paths that can be used, but are harder/longer).
I think they should definitely do something like this, because it would suit the BotW style as well.
I guess the one nice thing about going the BOTW route is that nintendo has lots of room to innovate, the OOT style might need to be shelved (but not forever) to give it time to grow and new good original ideas to be formed that use that design.
Oh Angst, the new God of War is a good Zelda-like, if you haven't tried that out already.

My GOTY last year for that very reason.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have to agree that the OoT structure has run its course. I'd much prefer that Nintendo continue with and evolve BotW's gameplay structure.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Dungeons, yes, but I feel like heart pieces are unnecessary, given that Spirit Orbs already serve that exact function. Just hide them in the world as well, instead of only in Shrines.

Worst-case scenario, I wish they at least make Heart Pieces and Stamina Vessels separate so you don't know which one you'll get when doing a shrine. It's a simple thing but it would make the game more rewarding to me.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the one nice thing about going the BOTW route is that nintendo has lots of room to innovate, the OOT style might need to be shelved (but not forever) to give it time to grow and new good original ideas to be formed that use that design.
BOTW is basically a template, it can and will be iterated upon immensely. If BOTW is the Zelda 1 analog, then I hope for the next game to be our LTTP to its Zelda 1. All of which is to say, you can add structure and guided progression to a game like BotW without sacrificing what makes it great. I am eager to see where Nintendo goes now.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yea, some people act like actually stunned that some people just dont find botw amazing.
I'll admit it's kind of a hipster statement, but I don't give a fuck. I tried playing 20 hours of BotW from the start TWICE and I'm sure I'll finish it... someday, but that in itself is just telling me that I don't love it. It's missing some of the core Zelda reward systems in terms of progression and approach to design and its replacements are just not impressing me enough. It has that initial allure and sense of awe though - it just wears off...
BOTW is basically a template, it can and will be iterated upon immensely.
I completely agree with this. Not to be harsh, but BotW is almost like a prototype. A really, super robust and finalized prototype that is a perfect blueprint for another game similar to it, but with just one or two more critical story moments that happen during its middle, better writing and better dungeons. The systems are now all there, and I hope they hold on to some of them, especially their simulative elements in the world.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst-case scenario, I wish they at least make Heart Pieces and Stamina Vessels separate so you don't know which one you'll get when doing a shrine. It's a simple thing but it would make the game more rewarding to me.
That'd be badass, yeah. I get why they didn't do that (Spirit Orbs are "EXP"), but I like your idea.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit it's kind of a hipster statement, but I don't give a fuck. I tried playing 20 hours of BotW from the start TWICE and I'm sure I'll finish it... someday, but that in itself is just telling me that I don't love it. It's missing some of the core Zelda reward systems in terms of progression and approach to design and its replacements are just not impressing me enough. It has that initial allure and sense of awe though - it just wears off...
Do you, do you understand that others do like it, and just accept that? because given how you enter every BOTW thread to tell people who like it they are wrong, I am not sure you do (and honestly that is as tiresome as aggressive BOTW fans unable to understand people may not like it).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about being hipster or not about what I like/dislike. I like a lot of mainstream things, and dislike other mainstream loved things. I just didn't really like it.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I really just want to see a return of dungeons and even then I still want them to experiment with them a lot more. BotW needed a lot more dungeon zones. Yiga Hideout and Hyrule Castle were horrible teases of what could be but barely scratched the surface. The lack of more locations like these was a real shame and the exact kind of direction I would like to see them take dungeons. Though I do think there will always be a place for more traditional dungeons. Shrines were great, but to bite sized and lacked a good difficulty progression.

Second would be story and sidequests. OoT/MM/WW are still the pinnacle in Zelda story telling and the flashbacks in BotW were great but too divorced from the rest of the game to really have the impact they should have. Last thing I want is an over bloated narrative that butts in all the time like SS or TP, but having well placed interactions and cutscenes can be extremely effective. BotW was such a wonderful world but the level of interaction with NPCs was quite lacking despite so many being really wonderful and endearing.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are burned out on 2 decades of OoT style and BotW was just what was needed. Is it really a surprise so many people are turned off by the fact people want to return to that after just 1 game?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I think that BotW can be improved upon (which is exciting given how fantastic it already is), but I would rather it be taken as the base and be added to, rather than us move back towards the N64 style again.

I feel exactly this way. BOTW should and will be the base for the next Zelda I think. BOTW's dungeons and boss fights are actually I think weaker than past Zeldas, but the overworld/open world is so far and away superior to past Zeldas that it revolutionized the series. BOTW is something new and that concept should be expanded upon.

For me BOTW with OOT style dungeons and boss battles and a good story would be the GOAT. Could be challenging because I think Nintendo has struggled a bit in terms of how to do dungeons and give players all those open-world tools early on, rather than as you complete dungeons. And because players have so much freedom in open world, they have to make the dungeons a little more confined and limiting.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW is basically a template, it can and will be iterated upon immensely. If BOTW is the Zelda 1 analog, then I hope for the next game to be our LTTP to its Zelda 1. All of which is to say, you can add structure and guided progression to a game like BotW without sacrificing what makes it great. I am eager to see where Nintendo goes now.
My only beef is it felt like I spent a lot of time just wandering around in BOTW. I really like having a bit more structure. Im hoping the next zelda sequel keeps it open world but gives me that structure I'm desperately craving.

Also unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I LIKE when areas are locked off to me until I get the appropriate equipment. Gives me a real sense of reward and progression.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Those kind of threads are so weird. It ask for more of the same, but don't really pin point what made them actually good. Only loose term like best desing and ritgh size.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Early into the game, I realized GoW was exactly what I originally wanted botw to be.
I think the closest example I had to this "playing another game that turned out to give me my Zelda fix" was playing Arkham City. It isn't 1:1 a Zelda formula but man it's got some of the right ideas, especially in how there's a hub, it has side-content that is all optional, then the main story goes into "dungeons" which are themed locations with unusual obstacles that you can't seem to overcome, then you find a mid-point which unlocks Batman's new gadget and going back through the previously unexplorable areas become an empowering ride using the new ability, and finally facing a boss that uses the game's core mechanics in subversive ways until you're done.

Really, that's why I would want a "N64-made Zelda". The blueprint is there and the hub area vs dungeons is probably part of the code layout as is the slots for unique items that change what the player can interact with.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Those kind of threads are so weird. It ask for more of the same, but don't really pin point what made them actually good. Only loose term like best desing and ritgh size.
I'm not great at thread creation yet, but it boils down to missing the smaller boxed in structure of the previous games and missing the linerality and progression the old zeldas had.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
This has already been done in Zelda ALTTP: Skull Woods Dungeon

One thing that was getting very stale is the same fire/water/forest/desert whatever themes used over and over again as if they couldn't come up with new ideas. I would also prefer if dungeons were more like labyrinths where there is optional rooms and more paths you could take and not super linear like in Skyward Sword for example.

Also in general 3D Zelda games are a lot slower paced compared to 2D ones, just look at how quickly you can move between rooms in the 2D Zelda games. This makes 3D Zelda games have longer dungeons even when they have the same amount of rooms.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel exactly this way. BOTW should and will be the base for the next Zelda I think. BOTW's dungeons and boss fights are actually I think weaker than past Zeldas, but the overworld/open world is so far and away superior to past Zeldas that it revolutionized the series. BOTW is something new and that concept should be expanded upon.

For me BOTW with OOT style dungeons and boss battles and a good story would be the GOAT. Could be challenging because I think Nintendo has struggled a bit in terms of how to do dungeons and give players all those open-world tools early on, rather than as you complete dungeons. And because players have so much freedom in open world, they have to make the dungeons a little more confined and limiting.
I definitely see Nintendo's conundrum: you make a go-anywhere world, and you still have to account for the player's power level without having hard levels or EXP in the game, I get why it was tough to balance the whole thing. I think BotW is an admirable answer to that question, but like I said, it's not the final answer, just the beginning to one. It can definitely be built upon further, and I hope that yes, a future Zelda game will take BOTW, but add more nuanced and elaborate dungeons and bosses to it. As a person who thinks Breath of the Wild is the greatest game ever made, I will be utterly disappointed if the next Zelda game is just... Breath of the Wild again.

My only beef is it felt like I spent a lot of time just wandering around in BOTW. I really like having a bit more structure. Im hoping the next zelda sequel keeps it open world but gives me that structure I'm desperately craving.

Also unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I LIKE when areas are locked off to me until I get the appropriate equipment. Gives me a real sense of reward and progression.
I wouldn't want hard progression gating. What I think Nintendo should do is be willing to make some areas harder and some easier. If a player tries going into a harder area, getting their ass kicked is enough to dissuade them from attempting to go in again until they are stronger, and they'll automatically veer towards an easier area. In BOTW, Nintendo made the difficulty across all areas flat, which I feel is a less rewarding alternative.
Hopefully, they go the Hyrule Castle route, but with the whole world next time.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
That'd be badass, yeah. I get why they didn't do that (Spirit Orbs are "EXP"), but I like your idea.

It's such a simple thing really, I really hope they do it. I also agree that we need to be able to find heart pieces in the overworld again, especially as side quest rewards since those were really lacking in BotW. I skipped almost every side-quest that wasn't a shrine quest for this reason.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's definitely not happening. The freedom of exploration is one of the most popular aspects of the game and the biggest reason why it was considered so revolutionary coming off of titles like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. You're not locked into a glorified hub where the dungeons are wheel spokes you can only enter in a set order.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are burned out on 2 decades of OoT style and BotW was just what was needed. Is it really a surprise so many people are turned off by the fact people want to return to that after just 1 game?
Some people think they could have evolved the original formula instead of changing the entire genre.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm not great at thread creation yet, but it boils down to missing the smaller boxed in structure of the previous games and missing the linerality and progression the old zeldas had.
A smaller BotW with less oversized parts of environments and again, a middlepiece to the main story's progression (rather than the plodding "flashbacks" to deliver a story that only happens when the player decides to trigger it) I think would be an interesting iteration on the BotW engine. However, I gotta be honest, I think the streamlining of Link's ability-set needs to go too. "The shiekah-slate does everything" replacement for unique items doesn't completely fix the previous issue of getting items that are redundant outside of the specific dungeon, so much as it just dumbed everything down and made the whole game more monotonous to go through.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's definitely not happening. The freedom of exploration is one of the most popular aspects of the game and the biggest reason why it was considered so revolutionary coming off of titles like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. You're not locked into a glorified hub where the dungeons are wheel spokes you can only enter in a set order.
But then I don't feel like there is any real sense of progression in the game. Link never got better at anything besides running longer and taking more hits. what you got in the beginning was it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
And they could have evolved it more.

It would be like if they made a new Fire emblem and completely changed the genre.
They didn't really change Zelda's genre, though. The format, sure. They opened up the world and changed the concept of dungeons and items around. But that's an evolution of taking what Zelda was. They looked at the two decades of Zelda titles since Ocarina of Time and evolved it.

It just wasn't an evolution in a direction that some fans particularly enjoyed.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
If not a new game in the same vain, then I want do want remakes of both.

MM is life.