• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I've always felt the 3D N64 Zeldas haven't been topped.

Its not just nostalgia, there are a few other reasons why I would love a third game like OOT/MM

1. Links design in these games is better than any other imo

2. I liked the size of the environments in both games. Sure this was probably due to hardware limitations, but I feel breath of the wild is honestly too big.

To be honest, it just boils down to just loving the style.

Its why I was so interested in third quest (see below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atlJRTV_s3Y&t=1438s

I know this thread is probably rambling at this point, but one of my greatest gaming wishes would be to get another game in this style. Even though it would likely never happen.

Anyone else agree with me that the N64 titles were the best?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker and Majora's Mask aren't just my favourite Zeldas, they're two of my all time favourite games, period.

But I think the Ocarina formula has run its course. Breath of the Wild wasn't particularly great but it provides a foundation to explore new concepts in a series that got stale with Twilight Princess.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Look to the indie scene. BotW engine is here to stay. Just as Ocarina spawned half a dozen games based off it's engine, so will BotW.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I would say WW and TP (and what I have played of SS) gave me a very similar feeling nostalgia aside. That is why I found BotW disappointing when it didn't recapture that magic for me.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking back on it, TP, WW, and SS do all have this style. I guess I just care for it more than I do the way BOTW did things.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
OP I love you. I had forgotten I wanted this but this was something I would regularly bring up last gen.

We went through a retro bit-graphic rennaissance with indie games but haven't really seen a wave of PS1 or N64 style graphics. In fact, I think in spite of how most indies have made fully fledged games they have never gotten to an N64-like team size or production at large where there's a publisher really expecting a grand feature product, but I would absolutely love to see Nintendo unabashedly take their N64 engine for Ocarina of Time and just build a new game and new assets and release it on the E-Shop. It would never happen as the large majority of newer gamers would never understand its appeal from its marketing but as a pipe-dream I absolutely love it.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
We went through a retro bit-graphic rennaissance with indie games but haven't really seen a wave of PS1 or N64 style graphics. In fact, I think in spite of how most indies have made fully fledged games they have never gotten to an N64-like team size or production at large where there's a publisher really expecting a grand feature product, but I would absolutely love to see Nintendo unabashedly take their N64 engine for Ocarina of Time and just build a new game and new assets and release it on the E-Shop. It would never happen as the large majority of newer gamers would never understand its appeal from its marketing but as a pipe-dream I absolutely love it.

This is actually exactly what I want.

Nov 23, 2017
Wind Waker and Majora's Mask aren't just my favourite Zeldas, they're two of my all time favourite games, period.

But I think the Ocarina formula has run its course. Breath of the Wild wasn't particularly great but it provides a foundation to explore new concepts in a series that got stale with Twilight Princess.

Can't roll my eyes harder

Oct 26, 2017
I find myself wondering if this is what the 2D Zelda team is going to do, or if they're actually going to release a 2D Zelda on Switch

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Oot was a 3D Lttp and every Zelda up to Skyward Sword was Oot in a different mask, I think there's been plenty of n64 styled Zeldas

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I'd love that too since OoT and Majora's Mask are the best Zelda games ever made, but after the success and hype of BotW I don't think were going back.

Nov 23, 2017
How fragile and delicate is your love for the game if an errant forum post is enough to upset you?
Only one who comes off defensive is you, who has to act oh so superior and as the arbiter of quality when what you really mean is I didn't personally like something.

Also you might as well said "snowflake triggered huh?" I know you wanted to.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since Master Quest finally came to the US, my dream has been that either Nintendo or the modding community make a "Zelda 64 Maker" and we just drown in content. Always been hungry for more.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
It's all I wish for honestly. The OoT-style Zelda formula was one of a kind and there's no franchise out there that plays like the Zelda games from OoT to SS did. There are games that come close like Beyond Good and Evil, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Darksiders (From what I hear at least, I've just begun the first game so I'm not sure yet), but that's it.

Still hurts to see this type of game just die like this, it's my favorite gaming "genre".

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since Master Quest finally came to the US, my dream has been that either Nintendo or the modding community make a "Zelda 64 Maker" and we just drown in content. Always been hungry for more.
this is a real cool idea. Basically mario maker but with zelda. It would have to be much more detailed than the mario game. But I'm confident nintendo could do it.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

Also, instead of having 120 (?) mini-dungeons that sometimes take as long to complete as the loading screens that separate them from the main game, have fewer, bigger dungeons.
I don't know if you have played it, but I really liked some of the "enviromental" dungeons that existed in FFXV. I think it would be cool to apply that to Zelda, if only in more detail

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope it doesn't have to be an either/or, and that there is some middle ground between the two styles.
I think that BotW can be improved upon (which is exciting given how fantastic it already is), but I would rather it be taken as the base and be added to, rather than us move back towards the N64 style again.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that BotW can be improved upon (which is exciting given how fantastic it already is), but I would rather it be taken as the base and be added to, rather than us move back towards the N64 style again.

Same. I think BotW's successor can be improved upon by bringing back some of the older Zelda elements like dungeons and finding Heart Pieces.

You can't even handle someone disagreeing with you without insults

...but yeah I'm a baby.

You're throwing a fit because I don't like a video game and then tried to affix alt-right terminology onto me, so yeah I think it's pretty apt.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
i think there's potential to take what botw did right and what the n64 games did best, put them together and create a near perfect game

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree, but I can see where the people that don't like OoT/LttP style games are coming from. We had our share of games for a while.

Happy medium for me personally would be to start with BotW as a baseline and add in more elements of the previous games (and remove some BotW bloat in the process).

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I think BotW's successor can be improved upon by bringing back some of the older Zelda elements like dungeons and finding Heart Pieces.
Dungeons, yes, but I feel like heart pieces are unnecessary, given that Spirit Orbs already serve that exact function. Just hide them in the world as well, instead of only in Shrines.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. I love Breath of the Wild but I hope traditional 3D Zelda finds a way to stick around. Either as the hot new indie thing or Grezzo making their own Hero of Time game. I want some of that dungeon design that can only exist with linearity back.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had 5 games with that formula, that's enough. The era of open air Zelda is here, and there's no going back.

I would like some proper dungeons in the next one though. Not necessarily as many or as large as in those games, but a decent amount along with keeping the bite-sized shrines (although maybe give them some different themes next time).

Nov 23, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Antagonizing other members over a series of posts

You're throwing a fit because I don't like a video game and then tried to affix alt-right terminology onto me, so yeah I think it's pretty apt.

Acting like people are throwing a fit for disagreeing and are so so upset and calling them hysteric is alt right shit, so own what you do. Pretty obviously you tried to bait people with your hot take but then when they respond apparently you didn't do anything to question.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I think the oot formula wore very stale. I'd like to see them make the next several games in a different style before considering going back to it.

OP
OP
Angst

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Dungeons, yes, but I feel like heart pieces are unnecessary, given that Spirit Orbs already serve that exact function. Just hide them in the world as well, instead of only in Shrines.
I think if shrines exist in the next BOTW, I think it would be cool for them to be "themed" like having lava inside shrines near the gorons, make the shrines made of clay and rock, and remix the music to sound more "Goron-y"

Same way with zora, rito etc.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
A dungeon with the length of an old one in a game like BOTW would completely break the pace of the game.

It is simply too long.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I want diverse locations and plenty of dungeons with the old Zelda formula.

I don't want empty hub worlds, the same looking 1 room puzzles, throw-away weapons, poor inventory management, recycled boss fights, or a pittance of dungeons designed for 1 and done use of special inventory items.

I didn't like Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't remember where I read this, but I remember hearing that the reason standard Zelda dungeons weren't included in BotW was because when playtesting other Zelda games they found that the average player was most likely to quit playing in the middle of a long dungeon. Thus, they made dungeons in BotW relatively short and fully optional.

If that's true, and given the success of BotW, I don't see Nintendo returning to the N64 formula for a long, long time.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think if shrines exist in the next BOTW, I think it would be cool for them to be "themed" like having lava inside shrines near the gorons, make the shrines made of clay and rock, and remix the music to sound more "Goron-y"

Same way with zora, rito etc.
Yeah, I agree. Themed shrines, and themed dungeons. Also, have the dungeons have multiple entrances, that can be stumbled upon from the open world in various ways, and can be solved and progressed through in various ways depending on the point of entry as well (basically Hyrule Castle style).