• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
I got the idea from a film called The Informant!, in which a company executive played by Matt Damon starts wearing a wire to help the FBI gather evidence.

My reason for wanting to do this is: If somebody says or does something really bad, I want there to be videographic evidence.

I once had a boss who approached me and told me to keep an eye on the number of Middle Eastern people applying to volunteer at the hospital where I worked. She said that they might be trying to "infiltrate" the hospital to commit terrorist acts.

I told HR about it, but she still works there in the same capacity.

That inspired me to audio/video record people.

Also, Omarosa inspired me, too. Although, I think she's lying about having a tape in which Trump uses the N word because she said she would release it in October and it's already the 8th.

But I digress. Do you guys think this is a bad idea? Keep in mind that it's becoming increasingly common for people to have dashcams in their cars.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I have a friend who watches a lot of his dash cam videos, and normally the only remarkable things are dogs and some nice cars.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
giphy.gif

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
if omarosa inspired you to do anything, you need to take a long look in the mirror and think about what kind of person you are.

Deleted member 40797

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I want to point out that the character Matt Damon plays in The Informant is not mentally healthy - he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Do with that information what you want.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
You're not important enough to do this.

It's also a terrible idea.

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You had one dodgy conversation with someone who was probably discplined in a work environment, and now you want to film 100% of all your conversations with everybody.

You thought you needed advice on this so are asking strangers on the internet before filming your friends and family and coworkers.

This seems very reasonable. Continue.

OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
How did they not laugh in your face.

What do you mean?

omarosa is a career opportunist who worked for a racist administration and caped for trump to get ahead. she recorded everyone to sell that shit later, she wasn't doing anything altruistic.

Yes, that's true. But I'm not.

Recording people 24/7 is bad and also weird.

Weird is such a pointless criticism. You probably do things that others would consider weird. Does it really matter?

As far as it being bad, it really depends on what I'd do with the evidence. I certainly wouldn't use it to extort anyone. But if someone said or did something unconscionable in my presence, and then denied it, I'd have evidence.

Be honest OP. This is for masturbation purposes isn't it?

No.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Weird is such a pointless criticism.

Ok, how about

- Your local state or countries video Voyeurism and private film laws

- What would happen if a public audience not as forgiving as us on Era found out (and believe me, these replies are nothing to what general social media would do if you did this in real life)

OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Ok, how about

- Your local state or countries video Voyeurism and private film laws

- What would happen if a public audience not as forgiving as us on Era found out (and believe me, these replies are nothing to what general social media would do if you did this in real life)

Try to see it from my point of view. I have a racist cousin who uses the N word and makes pejorative statements about Mexican Americans when we're talking to each other IRL. On Facebook, he makes posts about how he's not a racist, but that he supports Trump because he hates Clinton.

Now, people like him are a dime a dozen. Being able to have irrefutable proof of their racism would be a good thing. But you're telling me that recording other people is bad and weird. It's only bad if I'm going to use the recordings for nefarious purposes. I wish to use them for noble reasons.

Anyway, the point about my cousin is moot because I haven't spoken to him in a couple of years. We had a falling out over some posts he made regarding immigrants.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do not video people without consent, doubly so since you have apparently worked in a hospital of all places, good god.

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You clearly want to do this no matter what anyone here tells you so you might as well do it and get the shit sued out of you.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Try to see it from my point of view. I have a racist cousin who uses the N word and makes pejorative statements about Mexican Americans when we're talking to each other IRL. On Facebook, he makes posts about how he's not a racist, but that he supports Trump because he hates Clinton.

Now, people like him are a dime a dozen. Being able to have irrefutable proof of their racism would be a good thing. But you're telling me that recording other people is bad and weird. It's only bad if I'm going to use the recordings for nefarious purposes. I wish to use them for noble reasons.

Anyway, the point about my cousin is moot because I haven't spoken to him in a couple of years. We had a falling out over some posts he made regarding immigrants.

No, he isn't saying weird now, he is saying it might be illegal and intrusive to other peoples lifes.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I hear and appreciate you had a bad time with your cousin. Absolutely. People can be occasionally dicks. They can. There's been times and conversations in my life where I think in retrospect 'man I would have liked to have had that on tape'

My corrective response still wouldn't be to record all my interactions with everyone. It's an incredible overreaction. It's certainly immoral and possibly illegal depending how and when you do it.

If my co-workers found out I was recording them all day

A) They'd rightly question my friendship
B) I'd probably be breaking onsite HR policy
C) They'd question my sanity.

OP
OP
Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
You clearly want to do this no matter what anyone here tells you so you might as well do it and get the shit sued out of you.

I thought about that. If you illegally record someone making racist comments, they could sue you, but haven't they lost in the court of public opinion if the footage is released to the public?