• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and I'm scared

They want me to take blood test to see if I'm a match for someone

-------

Edit April 16, 2019
Here's a very quick and dirty lowdown:
When people have blood cancer they need a bone marrow transplant. There are two ways to donate. One is the anesthesia go to sleep suck it our your spine option that you've heard is painful. The other, about 3x as common, is getting five days of injections of neupogen, one shot in each arm per day (or your stomach apparently, yikes, but you can pick I think) to increase your bone marrow's production of whatever the cells are so much that it goes into your bloodstream. On the first day the shot burns for whatever reason. Can make you lightheaded on the first day as well. Then on day of collection they filter your blood for 3-6 hours to take it out. You don't get to choose which option. It depends on their needs. For child patients you probably do the go to sleep one, and for everyone else the filtering blood one. If it's like really bad or whatever they could make you do the blood one AND THEN go to sleep, but I don't think that's common.

I did the second option in April 2019. The shots for the five days made my back very uncomfortable (not like a growing pain you would think but a very specific sensation - I always had to hold my back because I thought it was going to fall off or something). I couldn't sleep at all. Then day of collection was not so bad. Right after the donation I felt 75% better, and a week later I'm at like 95%.

Sign up at bethematch.org or giftoflife.org (either will do). You swab your cheeks with like a Q-tip and mail it it and then probably never get called. If you do get called, you get a small blood test to confirm, then go for an in-depth checkup, which involves another blood test and pee test, then you begin the shots. This process took about 11 months for me from initial call/blood test to donation, but there was a five or so month delay (check the threadmarks) because the patient "wasn't ready."

Fun facts:
-Donors/recipients are usually the same racial background for genetic similarity or something. If you're black or asian they would definitely like you to sign up especially.
-The bone marrow transplant makes the recipient lose all of their allergies (like peanut butter or whatever) and gain yours.
-People on Resetera buy you pizza.
-A year after the donation if both parties consent you can learn each other's identities. When you donate you know their age, gender, and illness.
-Recipient could be anywhere in the world, though keep in mind the racial aspect. Your white weeb from Kansas cells probably are not going to a Japanese person in glorious Nippon. An hour after you donate, a courier with a lunch box shows up and gets on a plane with your cells, and patient gets transfusion the next day.

My timeline:
December 2016: Swabbed
May 2018: Got called, took blood test
-a much longer amount of time than I remembered where they said patient couldn't receive donation yet-
January 2019: Called again
March 2019: Final check up
April 2019: Donation

Last edited:

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Go for it. You probably won't be selected.

If you are... it'll only hurt for a bit

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I got called once before. Was ready to go and then they said they didn't need it anymore. Which mostly meant that it was too late. I was pretty bummed. :(

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Please donate if you're a match, otherwise you'd take away someone's last hope. Also keep in mind they already tell the patient they found a match before the donor changes his mind.

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Is this something one volunteers for or something?

Oct 27, 2017
and I'm scared

They want me to take blood test to see if I'm a match for someone
Do it. I did a test a little while ago. The donor wasn't ready for treatment so nothing came of it.

Modern bone marrow transplants are pretty mild. Just a blood donation with shots for a few that might make you sick. No great sacrifice to help save a life.

Edit: I should say I guess they still do the surgical bone marrow transplant. But the blood donation type was what I got called into. And I that is now the default.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
What does this entail? And what is the sign up process (if I'm interested) after learning the details

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Then they call you and ask to take a blood test if you're already a possible match to confirm. If the blood test says yes then the tell the patient there's a match.

There are apparently two options for the procedure.

One is you go to sleep and they suck out bone marrow from your butt or something

Two is you inject yourself (with needles?!) for a week and then they stick a needle in both arms and you sit for six hours while they take blood out and then put it back in

Fuck NAH to the second option out of hand I don't even think I'd consider it, and mini fuck no for the first.

I don't know what the risks are. If there's a .0000001% chance I get paralyzed for life or something I don't think I'd even feel bad about not going through with it. But IDK. I'm just mad that I was peer pressured into signing up in the first place.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I signed up for this many years back and they called me to tell me I was selected, only problem was it was right before I was to deploy, so I wasn't able to actually donate. Felt bad but there was nothing I could do.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm signed up with them over 10 years ago, but I have not been called. Maybe I should check up on my status.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Odds of you being selected are pretty low, but the procedure for taking marrow is nightmarishly painful if you're conscious for it. Pretty sure they'll just sedate you in most places so nothing to worry too much about on that front.

Oct 27, 2017

Then they call you and ask to take a blood test if you're already a possible match to confirm. If the blood test says yes then the tell the patient there's a match.

One is you go to sleep and they suck out bone marrow from your butt or something

Two is you inject yourself (with needles?!) for a week and then they stick a needle in both arms and you sit for six hours while they take blood out and then put it back in

Fuck NAH to the second option out of hand I don't even think I'd consider it, and mini fuck no for the first.

I don't know what the risks are. If there's a .0000001% chance I get paralyzed for life or something I don't think I'd even feel bad about not going through with it. But IDK. I'm just mad that I was peer pressured into signing up in the first place.
I got called for the second option. A nurse does the shots. And she comes to you. That might vary based on where you live I guess.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Bro if you are a match you could save someone's life. Yeah it's gonna hurt and pain is never fun, but don't you think that's a small price to pay to save a life?

If I could be useful like that I would do it in a heartbeat.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Good lord. I have mad respect for folks that do this voluntarily. Wow.

Oct 27, 2017

Depending on how adverse you are to needles I'd go for the second option. Bone marrow collections are unpleasant. But remember that if you decide to go ahead with this that you will be doing a great thing for someone.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017

Imagine someone very dear to you is sick and has no chance of surviving without a donor. The doctors tell him/her they found a match only for the donor to change his mind. Most of the time the donor is the only match in the worldwide database and there are no alternatives. It's very much a death sentence.

I'm not sure I could live with myself not undergoing a low-risk procedure to grant another human being a chance to live.

This is an extremely delicate matter. You need to realise the consequences if you do not go through with it.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Congrats. You could really help somebody.

I joined years ago, and have been hoping that I'll be able to help someone someday. I'm on the bone marrow and tissue (is it?) registry, as well as the organ donor one. I donate blood every two months, for the most part.

I'd be nervous too, and will if I get called, but it's worth it.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
What you do with your bone marrow is your own business.. But you have an opportunity to be a legit hero here.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been feeling nauseous all day thinking about

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Odds of you being selected are pretty low, but the procedure for taking marrow is nightmarishly painful if you're conscious for it. Pretty sure they'll just sedate you in most places so nothing to worry too much about on that front.
This really isn't the case anymore. Even in the cases where you are donating actual marrow, the experience is less painful and more strangely uncomfortable. Its a strange pressure to the bone, but not unbearable.

With that said, most donations are not marrow any longer. In most cases it is a Peripheral blood stem cell donation, which is little more complicated than donating blood.

OP, you should go for it.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
A family friend had Leukemia and we all got tested and put on the registry in hopes that one of us would somehow be a match. Unfortunately, nobody was and she died at just 25 years old. You could be that miracle a person has been waiting and praying for. I still get emails from Be The Match from time to time.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Think about how much meaning you would derive from knowing you helped save someone's life, or even tried. Just go for it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

You're a badass motherfucker, dude. Not many people would be willing to do that for a stranger.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I've been feeling nauseous all day thinking about

Oh man. This is like a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode.

Watch you turn out to be a reluctant hero despite yourself, Pikachu.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
Go for it. I work in pharma marketing and get the privilege to work with patients on the marrow registry waitlist. You're genuinely giving them a second chance at life.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy you pizza too if you decide to donate.

I'd donate too but I have medical condition that precludes me from donating unfortunately.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You could literally save someone's life. Yeah I know, any medical procedure is scary. Trust me on this one, it's not half as scary as what the person that needs that bone marrow is going through right now waiting for you.