• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Like he mentioned about never being called, I signed up to the same service he is on about 7 years ago. The only time they have called me was asking for donations.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had an annoying day today so I'm especially grateful for my second benefactor, Telaso. I am happy and well fed again! P-I-Z-Z-A.

Also, no lingering back feelings.

Praise be.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this for the karma

No for real, I got a letter from the registry yesterday that actually explained that the post-donation process is way different than I thought. I thought the one year with no contact with donor thing meant that you literally heard nothing. Instead, at regular intervals they will give you an update on their health, if you want to hear it, and you can also write letters back and forth if you take out all personal information. So in a few days I should hear about one month progress...

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Thats how it happens when someone passes away and they donate organs. The families receive information on what was done with the organs in a generic manner.

Source: When my father passed away we donated his eyes and skin (his organs were mostly shot from his health issues) and they sent my mom a letter saying thank you from the people who received his eyes and skin.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
1 month on, they'll probably be just getting out of hospital for the first time if all is going well! I got out after 3 weeks myself, but most people need the month.

The first 100 days are really critical, and that's where they're most likely to encounter issues. I'm almost at day 100 post bone marrow transplant but I've just spent 6 weeks in hospital due to an infection.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yoooooooooooo

----

My friend signed up and just got called to take a blood test. They asked me how it felt and I said it was the worst pain I had ever experienced in my entire life bar none. They're gonna go through with it (assuming they're a match) anyway. Huzzah.

----

I actually never got an update, so still waiting. There was no reason to bump this.

----

Except there was this one person in the thread who said they'd get me something on Steam and it's just that it's the summer sale and Civ VI is calling my name.. Been thinking about it for the last few days and IDK if I wanna just go all in and buy the game and all expansions or just the game :P I have a few days to decide. Does anyone play it? Are expansions necessary?

---

Yes, this was just to karma whore.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got an email today saying only that the patient is alive. No other status update. This is my first information about the patient since the whole thing happened.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Its up the patient if they want to share more I believe. Still so proud of you OP :)

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bump 4 karma.

So the year anniversary was a few months ago and I got the form to give my address and permission to contact, and now it's been a few months and I haven't hearrd anything. soooo

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
My aunt did the neupogen shot version to donate to save my mom's life due to a sudden onset of leukemia that would have killed her in weeks.

A year and change later, she's nearly fully recovered. (My mom, not my aunt, lol) Aunt was fine in a day or two.

Thank you for saving a life, OP.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
bump 4 karma.

So the year anniversary was a few months ago and I got the form to give my address and permission to contact, and now it's been a few months and I haven't hearrd anything. soooo

I'm the opposite, I sent a letter to my donor thanking them and never heard anything back in return. Sometimes, that's just how it shakes out, and that's okay.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird vibes going on. They emailed me last week saying they had an update on the recipient and would like to schedule a call to discuss. All previous updates have just been over email.

But now they're out of office for a few days so it won't happen until Friday. Hm.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Can't blame you for picking up weird vibes. That's a little unsettling.

You never know, though. Could be they've just decided they want to make direct contact? 🤷‍♂️ Dunno. Really hoping it's nothing bad.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Had no clue there'd be any sort of updates or communication between recipient and donor, but I guess that's the difference between getting matched and doing a general donation. I had a colleague years ago that did a mobilized apheresis donation, but I didn't realize you get GM-CSF shots for that many days. I know he got paid quite a bit, though you can only do it 2-3 times in your lifetime.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I'm so sorry to hear that OP, but you did the right thing and gave them more time and a chance they may otherwise not have had. Thank you.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I posted before, but I went through the exact same thing. They reassured me that my donation gave the donor more time with their family. It is not a good feeling, but take solace in the fact that you did something that you absolutely did not need to do, and you were able to give some one a few more moments on this earth.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to hear that. When I had my transplant, I was told I had a 25% chance of dying in the immediate couple years after (as a young, otherwise healthy person), but, in the accommodation I shared with other transplant patients...it was closer to a 40%.

So I can tell you, the families and patients did appreciate those extra months together that they otherwise wouldn't get. Sometimes they had to keep staying at the hospital until they died but, a most I knew who died were able to go home, spend time with their family before their death. For some even those extra few months was more than they we've expected to get and they relished in that, they were able to make it to weddings, graduations and births they had already given up on.

You did good. A transplant is a highly risky procedure that is often, a last ditch effort for a cure. There's a lot that can complicate it, and a lot that can go wrong. But, even those who only got a little extra time counted their blessings that they did.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an invite to a bone marrow gala this week but IDK if it seems weird for me to go

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Definitely would not be weird for you to go since you were a donor and contributed to helping a recipient.

Also definitely wouldn't be weird to not want to go, they may want to honor those who donated, so if you don't want to don't feel obligated.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, you shouldn't go if you'll feel uncomfortable all night.

On the other hand, free food.

Tough choice, indeed.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My mother was saved from leukemia with a match. She's dead now (sepsis), but she lived an extra almost 15 years. I'd donate in a heartbeat.