• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
OP what kind of shots were they giving you? I remember when I was in between chemo cycles, they'd give me neupogen(filgrastim) shots which would stimulate the bone marrow to produce cells faster. When the marrow was producing at its peak, the bone pain was ridiculously bad. Had to time percocets at the correct time to cover how bad the pain was.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling betterish. Last night my back was still bothering me but definitely less than the other nights. I'm still feeling the sensation now.

OP what kind of shots were they giving you? I remember when I was in between chemo cycles, they'd give me neupogen(filgrastim) shots which would stimulate the bone marrow to produce cells faster. When the marrow was producing at its peak, the bone pain was ridiculously bad. Had to time percocets at the correct time to cover how bad the pain was.

It was Neupogen, yeah.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda don't want to reveal any IRL stuff so that's kinda that hard part lol

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I was serious about it yes. Contact the mods if you want with proof and a way to donate and I'll chip in enough for a pie for you. Can keep it more anonymous with the site mods

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, hadn't seen this thread until now. That is so great of you Pikachu Hope you are back to 100% soon. I really hope the person that needed the donation gets well from this!

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
My aunt just saved my mom's life doing this. It was literally a blood donation for 6 hours and a couple of shots the weekend leading up. Hardly a thing. No pain. Mild discomfort. Do it. Small price to pay to save someone's life.

Hell, the Ontario govt gives you $3000 to do it too if you're saving a stranger.

Edit- oh, glad you did it Pikachu !

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-flamboyantly flashes ring finger to show a certain special something off-

Thanks Cerium

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
How timely, I was just called by the bone marrow registry about a week ago and they told me I'm a likely match.

They said it's still early in the process, but I committed to it. Still, I'm ngl, I'm a lil freaked out. But I honestly don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I opted out

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
donation was a week ago

Generally feeling fully back to normal, sleep is as it was before injections

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you're a good person. If you can think of a way that protects your privacy that allows me to get pizza @ you let me know and I'll hold up my offer to you.

Awesome work.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My "friend" swabbed his genitalia and never heard from them again. Maybe you can do the same? It's just someone's last hope after all.

Edit: didn't see the date. Great work OP!

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Receipts:

BkPNBRi.jpg

OP's choice on where the pizza came from. :p

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*embarrassed blush*

HEY, they're nearby and do digital gift cards. I'm from NYC, don't need to prove my pizza-card

Seriously, thank you so much. We eating like a king tonight.

Everyone should sign up for the pizza

bethematch.org

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
Way to go man! I'm glad you followed through with this. I work with people in patient communities where transplants are frequently needed. Their stories are inspiring and I hope to one day get the call myself to put my body where my career is.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The coolest thing about this other than being a living legend and having hero status is now you have a pain reference so ridiculous that you're basically a superhuman. Nice work OP!

Jasconius

Oct 25, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
How timely, I was just called by the bone marrow registry about a week ago and they told me I'm a likely match.

They said it's still early in the process, but I committed to it. Still, I'm ngl, I'm a lil freaked out. But I honestly don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I opted out
Hey, just wanted to say you're awesome for committing for this too! Hope everything goes well and keep us updated if it goes through!

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I updated the OP with some details on the process so people don't keep telling me to do it :)

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
You missed one vital point in the OP.

YOU LITERALLY JUST SAVED SOMEONES F***ING LIFE BY BEING AWESOME!

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a great story, you're amazing OP.

I had no idea how bone marrow transplants and the registry works.

You've motivated/inspired me to look into it and sign up to be a potential donor too.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just did the dates and wow, the wait between first call and now was longer than I remembered

December 2016: Swabbed
May 2018: Got called, took blood test
-a much longer amount of time than I remembered where they said patient couldn't receive donation yet-
January 2019: Called again
March 2019: Final check up
April 2019: Donation

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The registry sent me a package today with a gym bag, hoodie, tumbler, external battery thing, branded sticky notes, and a pin saying I donated

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I registered and sent my swab a month ago. I'm kind of excited and hope I can help someone soon. But from what it sounds like, it could be a while even before you hear back, right Pikachu ?

Also, is there a limit to the amount of times you can donate marrow?

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I registered and sent my swab a month ago. I'm kind of excited and hope I can help someone soon. But from what it sounds like, it could be a while even before you hear back, right Pikachu ?

Also, is there a limit to the amount of times you can donate marrow?

You could sign up and literally never be called

After you donate they have to wait a year before they're allowed to call you again

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Thread inspired me to sign up on Be The Match. Getting swab kit next week. Pretty neat I can do this process at home. Figure this is the least I can do and reread this thread for courage if I ever get called up.

Also OP is a true bro.