• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...and the game was total shit! Found the game in some boxes from my moving to my new flat. It took me 3 months of allowances to get the game back in August 2002 for my GameCube. Turok 3 was my jam back then and I couldn't wait for Evolution. What a piece of shit. From the graphics to the story, the best thing was the gore stuff. Sadly the end of the great original series.

Any Turok fans on Era?

GoronsRuby

Oct 27, 2017
I have great memories playing Turok 1 and 2 at my friend's house, but I haven't really played anything past that. I remember trying the Turok demo for Xbox 360, but I don't think it turned out good.

Appendy

Oct 25, 2017
Beast Coast
OMG!! I loved the original Turok on 64. I played the 2nd one on 64 as well, but I got rid of that console sometime in the late 90s. When they put Turok on Steam, I waited for it to go on sale and loved playing it all over again. I never played any past 2.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have memories of being disappointed with the game and that those pterosaur flying sections controlled very poorly. Not much else springs to mind.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So like, I snagged this game on Gamecube for 4.99$ at GameStop used and I quickly found out why it was that price when I played it. It's honestly a pretty shit game and it took me years of trying to beat it. I will note, it does have some of those moments where it does feel like Turok, and some of the weapons are cool, but it really is mediocre to bad. The flying stages are absolutely horrendous.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Are you me OP!? I had never played Turok 3, but Turok 2 on 64 was one of my favorite games as a kid. Got Turok evolution on PS2 and.......my god

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That game was such a bummer. I squeezed a little bit of fun out of it but it seemed almost like that wasn't intended.
I played the N64 Turok games religiously even in their fucked up German censored version.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nowhere near as garbage as the HD reboot attempt. I'm glad I can actually say that on this board without fearing retribution.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Who owns the license?
I want more dino action with insane guns.

Anyone play rage wars on n64, I played that so much. mp was just as fun as perfect dark / Goldeneye imo

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil is one of the greatest games ever made. Cerebral Bore: 'nuff said. So yea I was really excited for Turok Evolution. In the end it was a game that had a lot of promise but clearly did not have the time or budget needed to deliver. It did have some great artwork though its just that the game design and game play did not at all live up to the series previous pedigree imo.

Who owns the license?
I want more dino action with insane guns.

Anyone play rage wars on n64, I played that so much. mp was just as fun as perfect dark / Goldeneye imo

Good question. I'd be curious as to who owns it now too. It was an Acclaim property originally wasnt it? I doubt any of the larger publishers would be interested in the IP as it never seemed like a huge profit driver but perhaps if a smaller publisher owned the rights there might be a chance at a revival of some sort.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turok: Evolution is a game that kinda flails around in circles and doesn't go anywhere. It lacks a sense of forward momentum. You wander through these levels and half the time you have no idea what you're actually doing there. The game is disjointed and meandering. And every so often there's a really not good flying section. Playing the game feels like going through the motions, and it is flabbergasting that the prequel to the game that INVENTED WEAPON WHEELS doesn't have a weapon wheel. How on earth does that happen? (Same thing happend to TimeSplitters and Perfect Dark: Zero, oddly. What the hell was wrong with 6th gen developers?)

Turok always mimicked other series. This kept things fresh, but also meant the series struggled to have its own identity to some extent.

Turok 1 was a really good Quake knockoff. Seriously, more people need to play it. The remaster is great.

Turok 2 was heavily influenced by GoldenEye, but really tried to cut its own path. Very clear influence on Metroid Prime. I don't like some of the changes the remaster made, but again, more people need to play this game.

Rage Wars was, again, a Quake knockoff. Very popular back in the day. Notable for its smooth framerate, too. Only Rage Wars and Turok 1 run well on the N64. The other games sacrificed framerate for sweet graphics.

Turok 3 was heavily influenced by Half-Life, and while it's a rushed mess it has a very special place in my heart. It's got a lot of cool ideas, including two protagonist with different weapons and skills and varying routes through levels, and its facial animation is absolutely exceptional.

T3 ends on a gigantic cliffhanger, and I remain disappointed that instead of a sequel, we got... Turok: Evolution instead.

Disney owns the license, I believe
Dreamworks owns Turok. Night Dive Studios licensed it from them to make the Turok 1 and Turok 2 remasters. Which... were supposed to be released on console. Whatever happened to that?

Arkage

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game was the first and only time I did a game review on gamefaqs, to say how great (no, really) it was that you had to memorize enemy placements throughout the levels because otherwise you'd get sniped and die. It gave you a sense of pride to memorize all enemies and how to clear the level through repeated deaths! Right. I was offered to put my review on some game website (I forget which) if I edited it into more sectionalized format.

It's good I didn't become a professional game reviewer, considering how far off the mark I was :D

BobbyBoulders

Oct 27, 2017
I would Cerebral Bore someone for a DOOM/Wolfenstein style reboot of the Turok that takes it back to the N64 days.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
SURELY somebody somewhere is trying to bring this franchise back. Especially since the first two games have had well-receiced remasters. How hard could it be to pitch an FPS with dinosaur enemies?

Oct 25, 2017
Dreamworks owns Turok. Night Dive Studios licensed it from them to make the Turok 1 and Turok 2 remasters. Which... were supposed to be released on console. Whatever happened to that?

I still need to buy them myself, but I do genuinely hope they will be able to remaster Turok 3 as well. That game had a lot more ambition than the system (N64) could actually handle. So did the second one though.

SURELY somebody somewhere is trying to bring this franchise back. Especially since the first two games have had well-receiced remasters. How hard could it be to pitch an FPS with dinosaur enemies?

Harder than you think. Also, while Dreamworks owns the Turok license, I suspect they do not own a license to the (Dark Horse, I think?) comics that the N64 games drew their material from. So it's kind of neither here nor there in terms of being able to piece it back together into something that would be interesting on account of weirdness rather than gameplay.
Additionally, as you can read in Kotaku's article on Visceral's demise, the single player game is dead in the eyes of publishers, so a single player Turok game isn't coming back. Similar to the Legacy of Kain series, really, which had a short-lived final entry in the form of Nosgoth.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I mistook this as a thread for the Turok game on Xbox 360/PS3, but I guess that one was just called Turok. Never played this one.

That reboot was pretty good, though. I never did beat its final boss because nothing seemed to hurt it.

Turok was great, and Turok 2 was impressive in quite a few ways. As a kid, I could hardly progress in it for some reason.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The PC remasters of the first two games are fantastic, I highly recommend them if you've got the itch for the old games.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved Turok and miss it, didn't like the space marine version.

I was hoping the re-masters would do well since they mentioned they would port Turok 3 and Rage Wars if sales were good.

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really not that bad of a game. I played through like half of it recently. It's just dull. But not horrible.

Oct 25, 2017
Turok Evolution must be the only game, from the ones that I have owned in my life, that I didn't play for more than an hour. This in a time where I would get 2 or 3 games a year tops. It was that bad.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
I actually played this game as a kid, i sucked and just used cheat codes i think to use any weapons I wanted but I dont recall ever playing it start to finish

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are the console versions of these remasters, seems like I've been waiting forever.

I worked in a game shop at the time of Turok Evolution, I remember testing all 3 versions. PS2 the worst, of course. Graphics average, frame rate 20-30. Xbox pretty solid 30 and the best looker by far. Gamecube actually ran at 60fps but looked like a hybrid of PS2/Xbox. 3 totally different versions of the game, very weird.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
A Turok game deserves to be on a hypothetical N64 Mini but I know it won't. Hell, outside Rare/Nintendo, the N64 was primarily bolstered by western third parties like Midway.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Turok always mimicked other series. This kept things fresh, but also meant the series struggled to have its own identity to some extent.

Turok 1 was a really good Quake knockoff. Seriously, more people need to play it. The remaster is great.

Turok 2 was heavily influenced by GoldenEye, but really tried to cut its own path. Very clear influence on Metroid Prime. I don't like some of the changes the remaster made, but again, more people need to play this game.

Rage Wars was, again, a Quake knockoff. Very popular back in the day. Notable for its smooth framerate, too. Only Rage Wars and Turok 1 run well on the N64. The other games sacrificed framerate for sweet graphics.

Turok 3 was heavily influenced by Half-Life, and while it's a rushed mess it has a very special place in my heart. It's got a lot of cool ideas, including two protagonist with different weapons and skills and varying routes through levels, and its facial animation is absolutely exceptional.

T3 ends on a gigantic cliffhanger, and I remain disappointed that instead of a sequel, we got... Turok: Evolution instead.

FIrst off, I am a really big Turok fan (Turok 1, especially), and enjoyed reading your post. I am pretty much in 100% agreement with everything you posted.

I get the feeling, that Turok 2's ideas of widening and ramping up the gameplay idea from Turok 1 while apeing the slower controls of its contemporaries led to its downfall. It is not a tight + focused experience like Turok 1: it lacks balance in its weaponry + enemy types + its meandering levels have no payoff like you see in metroidvania style games. The upgrades you end up getting only exist to further game progression, not change up gameplay.

The things turok 2 does very well, it does VERY WELL for its time period. Its death animations and weapon variety are pretty top notch, the problem is they are introduced at times with poor context and use, and have troublesome usage. A great example is the Cerebral Bore, a weapon everyone loves due to its audio visual design. It is introduced at a point in the game when the enemy is firing very fast projectiles on a level where you can be rather HP starved, these enemies could (at the time pre-remaster) shoot from outside the fog range, while you needed visual enemy contact, a seek time, and and an animation time for the bore to even be effecctive. Using the bore in comparison to other faster / hit-scan weapons meant losing HP. Or you have the introduction of a lot of the weapons near the end of the game, but no increases in enemy counts + types to justify the greater arsenal variety + muntions you now can carry around.

I could write a lot aobut how disappointing Turok 2 is, because I see the greatness it could have had from following up on Turok 1 in a more simple fashion instead of branching out and stumbling when it went too far trying to connect in too many gameplay loops + ideas. Also, where are the backpacks ala Doom or Turok 1?! I want more shotgun ammo!!!
Should still be coming along as far as I know. I imagine once we see the DX11 build release in a mature state on PC, we will finally see the console versions.
Turok: Evolution is a game that kinda flails around in circles and doesn't go anywhere. It lacks a sense of forward momentum. You wander through these levels and half the time you have no idea what you're actually doing there. The game is disjointed and meandering. And every so often there's a really not good flying section. Playing the game feels like going through the motions, and it is flabbergasting that the prequel to the game that INVENTED WEAPON WHEELS doesn't have a weapon wheel. How on earth does that happen? (Same thing happend to TimeSplitters and Perfect Dark: Zero, oddly. What the hell was wrong with 6th gen developers?)
Your post about Turok always apaing other games is spot on (and Turok 1 is an amazing quake game btw :D), and Evolution is basically a poster child of a lot of the design attitude + ideas from early 2000 FPS games. It has turret sequences, insta-fail sneaking sequences, vehicle levels, etc. The things that retain though at the core of its Turok identity are still actually good though for the most part. Guns, while a bit ugly IMO, hit and gib enemies very nicely... we see a return to the jungle for the most part, and they introduced non-enemy AI boids. But like you said, you once again have all these weapons + ideas like Turok 2 just jammed together with the connective tissue being poor. I would also contend that no insta-fail stealth seciton in an FPS is really ever very good, nor are most forced vehicle sections or turret sequences.
----

My biggest problems with Turok games post the first one are the decrease in movement speed and ever widening of scope, say what you will about how primitive turok 1 is, but it is razor sharp blade, not a dulled cludgeon. Its score, technologically limited, gets blood pumping and is moody. Its arsenal is smaller, but overall more effective for the actual combat the game has. Its levels are smaller and less varied, but they are much more rewarding to traverse and shoot enemies within. A new turok game, with a smaller budget, would end up being fantastic as long as they focused on a core design principles and spent less time trying to ape modern shooters or deliver an arsenal.

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
What was more disappointing? Dino Crisis 3 or Turok Evolution?

I'd love to see a new Dino Crisis in the RE7 mould.

Prime

Oct 27, 2017
What was more disappointing? Dino Crisis 3 or Turok Evolution?

I'd love to see a new Dino Crisis in the RE7 mould.

I still have my PS2 Turok Evolution copy here. And well I think I've must have played it for like 2 or 3 hours and not liking it. It has been resting on the shelf ever since.

But well I think Dino Crisis 3 was much more disappointing for me as I had much higher expectations for it than Turok Evolution. God DC3 was so bad... I'd love to see a new Dino Crisis too :(