• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
And there's mobile spinoffs coming. They got a new deal this year with some company to make mobile stuff while the core Dev keeps maintaining the central game.

I played the current gen console ports and it was awful. Really stuttered on PS4 Pro. Never bothered to try again on Xbox One X.

it was first famous as an MMO answer from the creator of Grand Theft Auto with robust visuals and a top of the line character creator, made by the devs of Crackdown.

First due on 360 and PC in 2008, it saw Years of delay and a cancelled 360 version. The devs spent over $100 million making it one of the most expensive games to ever release by 2010.

But it hurt itself out of the gate with an incredible review embargo that didn't allow reviews until after it was on sale for a full week to the public, who were already sharing reviews and blogs. This caused reviewers to criticize their practices right away.

The reviews themselves weren't good, pointing to an unfinished and unpolished experience.

The game was a bomb, the devs fell into administration months after launch, and the game was shut down.

It was bought by a new company and relaunched as APB Reloaded. This version never came to last gen consoles and moved companies a couple more times. It finally came to Xbox One in 2016, and PS4 a year later.

But surprise, it's still alive and still worth something because another company bought it out this year to add more mobile stuff.

Do you play this? Who is playing it?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I remember it bombing and control shifting around but I saw it when perusing PS Now's catalog and was surprised as you.

Curious to see if we can find an active player. Ie 15% of the total active player base

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being excited about this when it was first coming out lol.

Kind of remember the soundtrack being interesting.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I still have an APB shirt kicking around here somewhere (I live in the same city where Realtime Worlds...was, and visited the studio at some point before its closure)

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Little Orbit has a number of failed or dying mp titles they're keeping alive on a shoestring budget:

APB
Fallen Earth (soon to go offline)

They also picked up the slack on Unsung Story once Playdek f-ed it up.

Basically they've been trying to reinvent themselves through some cheap additions.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I watched a video about this last year or even before, was called "death of a game"...
Surprisingly it looks like APB is not entirely dead yet.
Maybe it'll warrant another video like this one : o (I must admit I discovered APB's existence through its "death" video)

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Didn't the devs spend some of that 100 million on fast cars and stuff. I'm sure I read somewhere the money was misused. You could say they pulled a GTA on their GTA clone.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I remember the hype around this was pretty big. I saw a demo of it during PAX and everyone was blown away. What a disappointment.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I liked that game, too bad it was sooooo repetitive. Two months after the release, i had no interest in playing it again.

And all the updates i've seen being added to it with the multiple licence owner changes felt they would make it worse each time.

But in a way, i'm kinda glad it's still alive somehow. There's been so many games i've played at that time that don't exist anymore...

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
It was horrendous. I paid full price for it and tried to get a refund for it from Steam after the first week. This was when Steam wasn't doing refunds and it went F2P months later. I was so pissed, I got Steam support to completely scrub the game from my library.