• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Just forty mins and ABP blocked over 70 fucking ads.

VofvaqB.png

What the fuck. I can't imagine what it must be like to watch anything on youtube without an ad blocker.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean its free, unless you are watching something from a big company you are taking money out of peoples pockets.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
that number is misleading, with the way youtube handles loading pages, the adblock counter does not usually reset properly

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I mean its free, unless you are watching something from a big company you are taking money out of peoples pockets.

I'm pretty sure YT has got to be the most expensive website to run on the internet. Millions of video views per day and it's just ad supported. People that are shocked by ads or annoyed are just out of touch. "Why doesn't someone make a YT competitor?!?!" Because it's insane how much it costs to run.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
this is the same kind of backward thinking that causes companies to force users screens to be active in order to listen to audio. All that wasted energy comes from somewhere, but the most important thing is that companies are allowed to force users screens to be active because that's their intention for the user unless the user wants to pay more.

I didn't say stealing. I'm just saying it's not really fair to complain when the ads are paying the youtube creators bills (again assuming its not a big media company)
because that 10 cents per ad view is really, you know...good stuff.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure YT has got to be the most expensive website to run on the internet. Millions of video views per day and it's just ad supported. People that are shocked by ads or annoyed are just out of touch. "Why doesn't someone make a YT competitor?!?!" Because it's insane how much it costs to run.
Well they have Red now right? No clue on how much of a revenue generator that is though.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think it's that bad. I had YouTube Red for a while and, sure, it was nice to be able to queue up a bunch of videos to my Chromecast without any ads. However, I ended up thinking it was more worth it to keep the $10 in my pocket than experience ad-free YouTube and Google Music.

Last edited:

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people feel entitled to block ads on regular websites? It's not like YouTube has the crazy adds that lock your phone or anything. If you don't like that they have ads, then pay for the option to remove them or visit a different site.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Red isn't even expensive. Just drop ten for it every month and you'll be helping your favorite creators a ton. Plus you get Google Music which is awesome.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I used a service for 40 minutes and I didn't pay a cent or contribute in any meaningful way!

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have any privacy filters installed via ABP? It's probably just Google being stopped from phoning home repeatedly. Heck, even just the adblocking filters could result in that if it's trying to reach Doubleclick's servers

Edit:
To help put things into perspective, here's the number of Things™ blocked after watching a three minute video:

(While preparing the screenshot, uploading it, and typing this post, the number climbed to 63.)

Clearly, 56 ads wouldn't have played during that video. It's "just" 56 attempts to reach something that the adblocker is set to block.

Last edited:

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
What does it provide other than no ads? I saw a commercial for some Youtube Red production, some movie with that tall white dude with the bad hair cut, you know the one, and I honestly couldn't tell if it was real or another one of his joke videos.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What does it provide other than no ads? I saw a commercial for some Youtube Red production, some movie with that tall white dude with the bad hair cut, you know the one, and I honestly couldn't tell if it was real or another one of his joke videos.

Supposedly exclusive content but it's beyond my level of caring.

I never want to see an ad on YouTube, and this accomplishes that. On every platform. I probably watch a couple hours worth a day.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can leave videos playing in the background on your phone. It's great for music.

It's also a free tweak if you have a jailbroken iPhone.

GyrosOfWar

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Red isn't even expensive. Just drop ten for it every month and you'll be helping your favorite creators a ton. Plus you get Google Music which is awesome.
Youtube Red exists in like five countries. A lot of people can't pay for it, even if they wanted to.

The number is super misleading, adblockers generally count the number of blocked HTTP requests. On page load it'll probably block a bunch of static ads and, depending on your filters, maybe also some tracking scripts on the page in addition to the ads themselves.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
that number is misleading, with the way youtube handles loading pages, the adblock counter does not usually reset properly
is that why comments from one video tend to bleed into comments from other videos if you are on a playlist or click a recommended video on the side? or is that some weird thing one of my extensions is accidentally doing?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading that Ad Blocker Pro is no longer any good. Everyone recommends uBlock origin now. I recommend you switch!

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I pay for red to do this. Blocking ads is just something I'm not interested in doing as it takes away from creators.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people feel entitled to block ads on regular websites? It's not like YouTube has the crazy adds that lock your phone or anything. If you don't like that they have ads, then pay for the option to remove them or visit a different site.

I block ads so the page loads faster, as a layer of anti virus protection and so I am not wasting my time for for pointless advert to finish loading and playing.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. That's why i stopped watching music videos on my phone. The ad times per video is ridiculous.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
adblocker tends to count some ads that try repeatedly to load as several ads