• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Long story short I have a pretty beat-up DS Lite that I bought years ago from a pawn shop and now got a transparent replacement shell. I can build PCs in my sleep but this is the first time I'm actually taking a consumer product apart aside from controllers I guess. Anything I should know or be aware of?

I already have a good video-guide at hand:

But I thought I would ask anyway.

Will

Oct 26, 2017
When you reassemble the shell make sure the power switch is lined up with the button correctly. The first time I did it I broke the little plastic tab off the switch and had to solder in a new one.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
The upper screen's ribbon cable is a pain on any ds model, it's easy to break and the smallest dent on it could make i unusable. Be slow and have patience when taking the wires and the ribbon cable through any gap and you should be ok.

Also, make some draws on a paper to keep track of where all the different types of screws go. Reassembling the whole thing not knowing the correct place of those screws could end up breaking something.

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The upper screen's ribbon cable is a pain on any ds model, it's easy to break and the smallest dent on it could make i unusable. Be slow and have patience when taking the wires and the ribbon cable through any gap and you should be ok.

Also, make some draws on a paper to keep track of where all the different types of screws go. Reassembling the whole thing not knowing the correct place of those screws could end up breaking something.

The ribbon cables are actually the part I'm the most afraid of, yeah I'll touch them as gentle as I can. And that's also a good idea, I'll do that!

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
When you reassemble the shell make sure the power switch is lined up with the button correctly. The first time I did it I broke the little plastic tab off the switch and had to solder in a new one.
Oh, you did the same too? Haha. I put my near mint DS Lite out of commission for good when I opened it up to clean a small bit of mold that somehow grew between the bottom screen layers and broke both the power and volume switch because they fell slightly out of place.

Yeah, OP be really careful with the volume and power switches because they're easy as hell to snap, and also the ribbon cables to the screen. The two times you're most likely to break it are when you open the thing up and when you close it all shut again, do both slowly and gently.

MDR

Jun 21, 2018
Be careful with the ribbon cables, both in unlocking it, general handling and reseating and locking. Go slow, almost all the videos are from experienced people, so they do it fast, don't be afraid to take 2 x the time when you are doing the same thing.

flohen95

Nov 4, 2017
The most important thing is to stay organized. You do not want to loose any small parts, and not all screws on the system are the same, so try to organize them logically for reassembly, preferably in seperate cases. Same goes for the other parts of the system that you have to seperate from the mainboard.

And I second the point about the ribbon cable of the topscreen. I broke one on a knackered 3DS XL attempting to get it out of it's socket. I was extremely carefull and gently used a pair of tweezers, but it broke at what was probably a stress point, where the cable went through the hinge.

It wasn't a big deal for me, since the original shell was actually broken and I wasn't gonna use it anymore unless I would have gotten it fixed (it was basically a last resort salvaging operation since the system was pretty knackered in the first place), but if you value your DS lite in it's current state, I would probably not attempt the swap.

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the tips so far! :) I'm off to a good start, the shell is slightly dislocated from impact so the battery cover almost poked into the battery when I lifted it up. Honestly while this Lite is still working I have no real use for it anymore as I have my new 3DS but it would be cool to have the Lite pristine again.

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
And that took a fast end. I looked up tri-wing screwdrivers before but it was hard to judge the size online, turns the only tri-wing bit I have is too big for the DS Lite :(

ERyu85LW4AEO4RY.jpg

Oh well off to the hardware-store I go tomorrow.

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I have to shelf this project, the two left-side Tri-Wing screws seem to be stripped and I can't get them out, oh well :/