• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So for as long as I can remember, its been a life long dream of mine to own a sailboat and sail it around the world. My plan has been put on hold several times mostly to life obligations. I met my future wife, got married and had a kid. Needless to say (esp. with a newborn) my boat savings have taken many hits over the years.

The last several months have seen things start to settle down a bit and my passion for getting on the water is greater than ever...

So, I have begun seriously looking at boats. My plan is to buy him/ her over the next 6-8 months and use the next 4 years to fix her up and do any upgrades or repairs I need to. Five years is my goal to be finished with the boat and ready to sail. My wife is ok with the trip as it is something that will be well planned. My hope is that this trip will show her that we can live a life on the water with little dependence on society.

My friends think I am a bit crazy as the idea of the ocean scares them but I feel my true calling is being on the water. Anybody else have any wild dreams they are chasing?

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Thats awesome, good luck!

A sailboat though, damn

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
After watching Master & Commander, a sailboat scares the death out of me. What if you get caught out in the doldrums?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh wait you have a wife and a kid too?

Oct 25, 2017
I expected this to be a Tabris thread.

I guess you've got a reasonable timeframe, just do your research and play it safe.

I'm not sure about the "little dependence on society" bit, if you're stuck somewhere in the Pacific I think a little dependence on society would do you a world of good.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how much it's possible to use radar or whatever you have on the boat to avoid large storm that might dangerous? The thought of being thousands of miles from shore with a storm incoming would be a terrifying thought. So, I'm interested to know if it's feasible for people to plan routes through calm water in advance?

OP
OP

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I will have the sat phone, and all the needed safety stuff. I want to eventually take out the diesel and put an electric motor in. A water catch system and solar / wind power will be installed as well. I will troll lines for dinner and stop by island markets when in ports for veggies and such

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's awesome and I'm jealous.

Always wanted to learn to sail and would love to own a boat. Not sure I'm interested in sailing around the world or being on the open ocean for any more than a couple days.

Good luck.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
tbh this sounds like that guy who had started a thread about Everest being his first climb... (he had 7 months to train).

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
tbh this sounds like that guy who had started a thread about Everest being his first climb... (he was planning to use the remaining 7 months to train...).

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
29ed7a033e9c7b70098612dffb16c800.gif

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like thin line between chasing your dream and chasing your demise.

Live and let die.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So for as long as I can remember, its been a life long dream of mine to own a sailboat and sail it around the world. My plan has been put on hold several times mostly to life obligations. I met my future wife, got married and had a kid. Needless to say (esp. with a newborn) my boat savings have taken many hits over the years.

The last several months have seen things start to settle down a bit and my passion for getting on the water is greater than ever...

So, I have begun seriously looking at boats. My plan is to buy him/ her over the next 6-8 months and use the next 4 years to fix her up and do any upgrades or repairs I need to. Five years is my goal to be finished with the boat and ready to sail. My wife is ok with the trip as it is something that will be well planned. My hope is that this trip will show her that we can live a life on the water with little dependence on society.

My friends think I am a bit crazy as the idea of the ocean scares them but I feel my true calling is being on the water. Anybody else have any wild dreams they are chasing?

One of my dreams as well but mainly for the Pacific (specifically Japan and back to SF kenichi style). Almost bought a catalina 27 but I need to wait and get more hours on the sea before I justify a purchase.

What's your maintenance budget? What gear are you looking to add? What models are you looking at? What's your sailing experience?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Please update and post photos and videos. I want to live vicariously through this thread

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Break out another thousand. So stop and think about how much it would really cost before you even think about buying a sailboat.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Are you certain this is a safe thing to do with a young child? What if your child gets ill (or you or your wife for that matter) and needs medical attention? I was never a risk taker, but this seems beyond dangerous to do with a family.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Remember a few things:

1. Have all requisite navigational equipment on board. GPS and Radar (X-band if push comes to shove) are crucial and if possible ECS or ECDIS would be very helpful as well. Make sure to carry necessary paper charts, Notice to Mariners, List of lights and radio signals and Sailing Directions.
2. Absolutely make sure to have all requisite Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) equipment onboard. Given it is a sailboat is won't be many but remember to carry Search and Rescue Radio Transponder (SART), Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB), MFHF and VHF and Navtex (for weather report)
3. Make sure to have requisite numbers of Life Saveing Appliances onboard. Ensure you have at least a single life raft with proper provisions inside it. Get a custom made immersion suit for it can save your ass in colder conditions. And remember to include sufficient emergency rations.
4. Ensure that you have proper Fire Fighting Equipment onboard in the form of portable Dry Chem (for fire classes A B and C) extinguishers.
5. And remember to read "Collision regulations" thoroughly and download "Chart 1 symbols".

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Oh I hope you have a wonderful time. Ive always dreamed of taking a long form journey in a similar fashion. I hope it's everything you wanted it to be

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
No offense OP, but your thread title sounded like the most privileged thing I've read today.
I wish you luck on your voyage.

Oct 25, 2017

My next door neighbors JUST left to do this in October. They sold their house and will be spending a year sailing around the world. They have three kids and will be home schooled for the year. They own the house on the other side of me too, which they rent, so after the year, if they want to, they'll move back there.

I think it's pretty rad, although I hate the ocean, but go do it OP. It might be an anecdote from some rando on the internet, but people are doing this.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Watch Gone With the Wynn's on YouTube. They went from traveling the USA in a motorhome to sailing all over in a boat. They went through a lot of training and work that I'd imagine will help you immensely.

Edit: man duck this Google swift key or what ever and it's hot shit Auto correct.