• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Though.....😳I do not know the way......😳

That line delivery and music sync is great. Certainly a top tier LotR trilogy quote, along with "what is this new devilry?" Any "you bow to no one" posters will be reported.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's what Gandalf wanted all along.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Fool of a Took!" is my favorite line

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass! The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass!

KfI5l2.jpg

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Theoden: Yes. Yes! The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the deep ...one last time!
Gimli: Yes!
Theoden: Let this be the hour that we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for Wrath, now for Ruin, and a Red Dawn! Forth Eorlingas!

Oct 25, 2017
There's a scene in the ROTK book.

It's not in the movie.

Faramir is supposedly talking about his encounter with the hobbits.

But Tolkein is describing Gandalf's reaction to the news.

It's stuck with me forever.

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
McKellan's delivery of "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you," as Frodo resolves to bearing the ring decides to leave on his own immediately pulls tears down my face.

God these movies are fucking perfect.

Oct 27, 2017
McKellan's delivery of "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you," as Frodo resolves to bearing the ring decides to leave on his own immediately pulls tears down my face.

Good to see that made it into the film. It's one my favourites in the book and is just so memorable, and has and likely will be apt and applicable for anyone who ever reads or hears it.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you brave Hobbit, but the Eagles have already volunteered and they are faster and smarter.

The End

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
so many great lines from LOTR...

"do or do not - there is no try" - albus dumbledore

Oct 27, 2017
There's a scene in the ROTK book.

It's not in the movie.

Faramir is supposedly talking about his encounter with the hobbits.

But Tolkein is describing Gandalf's reaction to the news.

It's stuck with me forever.

Can you link to the passage ?

Then suddenly Faramir looked at Pippin. 'But now we come to strange matters,' he said. 'For this is not the first halfling that I have seen walking out of northern legends into the Southlands.' At that Gandalf sat up and gripped the arms of his chair; but he said nothing, and with a look stopped the exclamation on Pippin's lips. Denethor looked at their faces and nodded his head, as though in sign that he had read much there before it was spoken. Slowly, while the others sat silent and still, Faramir told his tale, with his eyes for the most part on Gandalf, though now and again his glance strayed to Pippin, as if to refresh his memory of others that he had seen. As his story was unfolded of his meeting with Frodo and his servant and of the events at Henneth Annûn, Pippin became aware that Gandalf's hands were trembling as they clutched the carven wood. White they seemed now and very old, and as he looked at them, suddenly with a thrill of fear Pippin knew that Gandalf, Gandalf himself, was troubled, even afraid. The air of the room was close and still. At last when Faramir spoke of his parting with the travellers, and of their resolve to go to Cirith Ungol, his voice fell, and he shook his head and sighed. Then Gandalf sprang up.

-
The Return of the King, The Siege of Gondor

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
"The beacons of Minis Tirith! The beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid."
"And Rohan will answer."

But actually the best sequence in all 3 movies is the lighting of the beacons. The score alongside the cinematography gives me chills every time. So good. I at first was just going to but that and then realize you asked for quotes, and that's a great one too after all the build up.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Though the later replay of that line in a flashback which uses entirely different footage irks me. It's like one of those VHS talking to the screen fantasy games.

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Though the later replay of that line in a flashback which uses entirely different footage irks me. It's like one of those VHS talking to the screen fantasy games.
I love it because it's clear that in the moment, we're now supposed to be seeing the impact that moment had on Frodo by seeing it through his perspective during the lowpoint of his emotional state before resolving himself, thereby recontextualizing it. Doing so adds a new layer to Frodo which defines his character arc all the way up Mount Doom and to the moment he wakes up to see Gandalf again.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Of all the fantastic performances in these films Sean Bean has always been my favorite as Boromir. He delivers his lines in Fellowship with absolute perfection. The extended cut is worth it just because we get more of him.

"One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call, 'The lords of Gondor have returned.'"

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
the-return-of-the-king-white-shores-and-beyond.jpg

"Death is just another path. One that we must all take. The grey rain curtain of the world rolls back and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it."

"See what, Gandalf?"

"White shores and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise..."

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rivendell was a fuckin' amazing interlude at that point in Fellowship. To the hobbits, the home of the elves- at that point supposedly the last stop in their journey. But immediately the unease is palpable- Gandalf and Elrond immediately set the tone for the rest of the journey, talking about the infallibility of Men while you see the council of Elrond assemble, and you're like "Hold up, this is halfway through the movie?"

Suddenly the quest you've been watching starts taking on a larger scale, and then comes the quiet moments that seem grand all their own with Boromir admiring the shards of Narsil, and Aragorn and Arwen sharing a tender moment you honestly think would be saccharine enough to be ripped from Shakespeare (like, the cheesy part of Shakespeare,) but it works, you know?

Then the counsel of Elrond, and it's- it's so fun to watch. So much of it is quotable, and you're introduced to so much new aspects of Middle-Earth; standoffish Boromir represents Gondor, the dwarves are stubborn, the elves are asshats. And it ends, like the OP says, with a great synchronization of music and delivery. And Gandalf's face, man- that's some pathos.

And then you got Bilbo and Frodo, and you some some real classical fantasy shit- a blade that glows and chainmail from mithril; and Bilbo's little breakdown continues the emotional rollercoaster that Rivendell has consistently put you through, but with this emotional low is a grand high because the music swells and you get the scenes of the fellowship crossing ruins and plains to goddamn stride over the horizon in one of cinema's finest party introductions. Goddamn beautiful.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm LONG overdue a rewatch of these movies. What's the best place to buy them digitally? I know the Google Play store has all 6 (...) extended editions for under $50.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Then suddenly Faramir looked at Pippin. 'But now we come to strange matters,' he said. 'For this is not the first halfling that I have seen walking out of northern legends into the Southlands.' At that Gandalf sat up and gripped the arms of his chair; but he said nothing, and with a look stopped the exclamation on Pippin's lips. Denethor looked at their faces and nodded his head, as though in sign that he had read much there before it was spoken. Slowly, while the others sat silent and still, Faramir told his tale, with his eyes for the most part on Gandalf, though now and again his glance strayed to Pippin, as if to refresh his memory of others that he had seen. As his story was unfolded of his meeting with Frodo and his servant and of the events at Henneth Annûn, Pippin became aware that Gandalf's hands were trembling as they clutched the carven wood. White they seemed now and very old, and as he looked at them, suddenly with a thrill of fear Pippin knew that Gandalf, Gandalf himself, was troubled, even afraid. The air of the room was close and still. At last when Faramir spoke of his parting with the travellers, and of their resolve to go to Cirith Ungol, his voice fell, and he shook his head and sighed. Then Gandalf sprang up.

-
The Return of the King, The Siege of Gondor
That's so good. ☺