• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't think of a better first thread to start the new "era" of my internet life.

This year we're witnessing a renaissance of Nintendo: the Switch is selling very well and has gained mainstream traction, after a rough start the games just keep on coming and the future of the system appears incredibly bright, with many other big hitters already on the horizon. The change from having to support two systems to a single one is already beginning to show its pros, as devs are shifting games that would previously be on 3DS over to the Switch (Pokémon, Octopath, SMT), meaning less resources spent and a potentially bigger game library when all is said and done. The SNES classic is also selling gangbusters.

BotW and Odyssey are not only this year's most prominent GOTY contenders, but some of the finest, most critically acclaimed games of all times, marking a shift back from Nintendo's safer approach of the recent past (New Super Mario Bros. series comes to mind) and towards new genre defining, very ambitious games.

Their mobile initiatives are coming along well, Heroes has netted the company quite some money, and they seem to want to keep investing in the field. The way they use their mobile games as "bridges" to the mainline ones and not as substitutes or spinoffs as other companies do, is also refreshing and doesn't make you feel as if you're missing something if you decide not to partake in mobile gaming.

What saddens me is that the man who helmed for a long time the company, the one who was "a gamer at heart", a dev before a CEO, and what seemed to be first and foremost a wonderful person, isn't here to witness the success he helped Nintendo achieve. Instead, he left us in what were arguably Nintendo's darkest years ever since they entered the gaming business, and he did so amidst the negativity for their poor E3 2015 showing, after he apologized for it.

I still miss the man and what humanity and transparency he brought to the company.

Satoru_Iwata_E3_2012_holding_bananas.jpg

I'm aware that Nintendo does many things wrong, and isn't perfect. The whole voice chat business has been a shitshow. I just wanted this thread to highlight the turnaround the company has made in such little time. They aren't immune to criticism and they shouldn't be. Also I don't want to foster any console wars, this isn't supposed to be a "Nintendo is better than Sony/Microsoft" thread.

Last edited:

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Even from his death bed, he was hard at work ensuring his vision would be seen by the world.
He may not be here to witness the fruits of his labor, but he knew it was in good hands and would carry on his legacy.
Don't mourn his passing, be happy that he still is giving us so much joy.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Iwata is one of the greats. And as someone who grew up with Nintendo among home computer platforms, I couldn't be happier to see where Nintendo is right now. And looking forward to jumping back in myself in the (hopefully near) future. Iwata will always have my respect.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta wonder how many of the employees he saved by taking a paycut made Nintendo what it is today...

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I distinctly remember seriously considering getting a Wii U back when Iwata passed, in order to better appreciate his legacy. Sadly, I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger, as the writing for that console was on the wall at that point.

I have since made up for this, and then some, by absolutely going ham on Switch purchases this year. The console is his brainchild, and part of what he will be remembered for.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he got to announce both the NX and mobile offerings. Also saw his approval ratings go back up at that meeting. He also saw the birth of the major new Nintendo IP Splatoon that sold well and he to apologise in Japan for selling out.

He saw things getting good.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It all comes to show you never count him out. He was a man with a vision. Yamauchi knew what he was doing when he put him in charge of Nintendo.

In the end, Iwata would have the last *laugh*

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's depressing to think that his last public message ever was apologizing for e3 2015. He knew what was coming and that soon nintendo fans would be rejoicing.
At the same time it just shows how unlike any other CEO he was and how special he was.
RIP always Iwata

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
He was such a great inspiration and had such great insights on game development and business. I'm tempted to compile a list of his endless words of wisdom, but I don't feel I could do it justice. Maybe I will attempt so anyways sometime

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He planted the seeds that we now are enjoying as a gaming community, and Nintendo as a company. He will always be remembered for the great legacy he left behind.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I think before his death he set the wheels in motion to make this happen. Even though he wasn't part in the finalising process of all of this, his vision is what made this turnover happen for Nintendo. Sad to see him go so soon before that, though.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderfully said, Axass. I think the man was a truly humble visionary and one of the most special the gaming world has ever seen.

I distinctly remember seriously considering getting a Wii U back when Iwata passed, in order to better appreciate his legacy. Sadly, I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger, as the writing for that console was on the wall at that point.

I have since made up for this, and then some, by absolutely going ham on Switch purchases this year. The console is his brainchild, and part of what he will be remembered for.

There are so many great Wii U games. If they don't get ported, please still do consider picking one up in the future.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
He may not be here with us any more, but his legacy still endures. He made all the right moves to insure his company and his coworkers' can be successful.

Frankly, the only thing I wonder about is how things will be in 5-10 years, when the last of Iwata's Chessmaster plans have likely played their course. That will probably will be the best test of when we'll see how well Nintendo can go on, even without him.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Wonderfully said, Axass. I think the man was a truly humble visionary and one of the most special the gaming world has ever seen.

There are so many great Wii U games. If they don't get ported, please still do consider picking one up in the future.

Will do! I'm actually just playing wait and see to determine what looks like it'll get ported (I find I get a lot more playtime on portables). If we don't get a Bayonetta 1+2 port in the next year, I'm hunting one down on the cheap!

Deleted member 2099

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I 100% a Nintendo game, I dedicate it to him. I then ask him, "Iwata, are you proud of me?". This is how I am keeping him alive in my heart, mind and memories. He will forever sorely be missed and loved. I am sure he is smiling upon us in the Heavens to us, believing in us.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
What I loved about Iwata is that it felt like many of his business decisions regarding software were not made with profitablity primarily in mind. Obviously it was still a big factor but it definitely seemed like many games were made to diversify Nintendo's portfolio or because developers felt passionately about something. It makes it even sadder that he did not get to live to see this. Hopefully his mentality carries over for the whole generation.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Iwata was an incredible leader and I wish he could've known of Switch's success before his passing. He truly loved games...

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
His disappearance hurt me more than I would've ever imagined. I remember I was at a convention in Pittsburgh with friends when I was notified of the news and not believing at first, thinking it was one of those pranks going around Facebook about celebrities dying.

Then reality hit and I remember that, while I still tried to have fun with friends that evening, I felt somewhat empty...Iwata was not only a genious dev and a well-meaning, responsible president, he was an awesome human being, at least based on many personal experiences people had with him and the shenanigans he encouraged in Directs.

I even made a sort of video tribute about him, going through his story and trying to share with others what made this man who didn't even know me, so special to me. It was my way to cope, I guess.

Even if he's not alive to witness the results of his hard work, though, I feel like he'd want us to simply focus on being happy and playing games as we always did, because that's what he worked for right until his very last moments in the hospital bed.

I feel like it may seem odd to be so attached to a corporate figure, but among corporates, he was among the most human ones. He didn't believe in firing his employees to solve financial crisis and instead took the bullet himself when 3DS sales tanked after its launch. This, also coupled with his approach to the industry, as well as how his own employees seem to constantly put tributes to his figure (the NES Golf unlocked on the date of his death being the latest one), I can't help but think that he truly was a figure worthy of admiration.

Sorry for rambling like this, but I did want to pour out my feelings here for a bit, given the thread :) Let's keep being passionate about games, I'm sure that is what would make him the happiest.

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Iwata made every message he sent out so personal and friendly that you couldn't help but feel he was talking to you directly and was your friend. It is no wonder so many of us miss him so much. I am so glad all his work is paying off for Nintendo and for us.

I believe Iwata was genuinely optimistic that hard work and dedication would eventually bring success, even if one could not predict exactly what kind of success it would be.

I also think Iwata truly valued being able to entertain others and was satisfied so long as someone had fun with his work. This goes back to the earliest stories of him programming simple games on calculators for his friends to play. I think he would have been confident that, if Nintendo put sincere effort into whatever they made, someone, somewhere would have fun with it. At the end of the day that was all he could hope for.

Even the failed Wii U hosted some quality games that millions of people played. The Switch had many more of those lined up and waiting in the wings. I'd like to think Iwata would have taken satisfaction in this.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
If anything he's directly responsible for what's happening now. Undoubtedly, they are following the blueprint for success he left before he passed.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
He truly deserved to see this...in person
But i guess he still with Nintendo, one way or another

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Man, i still get so gutted when I think of this wonderful human.

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think he knew the Switch would be a success and I hope that the thought was of some consolation to him.

GriffinCorp

Oct 25, 2017
He definitely is and great thread. I really could have wished that he would have lived long enough to see the public's demand for the Switch and it's success. It forever changed Nintendo path. He is a gaming legend.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Will do! I'm actually just playing wait and see to determine what looks like it'll get ported (I find I get a lot more playtime on portables). If we don't get a Bayonetta 1+2 port in the next year, I'm hunting one down on the cheap!
Nice, glad to hear it! You're definitely in for a treat. IMO, in terms of under-appreciated releases, Nintendo Land is not to be missed.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Iwata's vision for gaming. Anecdotes about his youth paint the picture of a man who really believed in the medium and wanted to bring others to it and his time at the helm of Nintendo reflected this belief; from things like the Wii/DS era to things like Iwata Asks and Nintendo Direct you could see him trying to find consumers and reach out to them and make them happy.

I also wish he could see Nintendo succeeding today.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
One of the greatest. The ache will never leave my heart completely. The day he left us killed some of my childhood away with it.