• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It would be precedent-breaking, but that's a natural evolution of when something becomes standardized across the industry. Maybe I'm thinking irrationally, but I'd like to avoid the possibility of ever having to play something that requires gyro if I can.
There's no way anyone is going to force gyro man, this really is a toral non-cincern. It's a near zero chance of ever happening imo.

MS is rhe only one without it and it is a great accessibility feature as well as awesome extra control for those who like it. It would only be a win if they added it. Wouldn't affect you at all.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm using the recently on my mind Splatoon 2 and Astrobot for Gyro aiming. If it doesn't require me physically moving my hands, then I'd like to know how it works because I literally can't just lay in my bed like a vegetable disconnected from my shitty work say like I want to be.
Comparing gyro aiming in Splatoon 2 to Wii-era waggle really demonstrates you don't really understand the question.

Gyro in Splatoon 2 is an aim assist. Not Wii Sports tennis swinging.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
They should probably fix their shitty face button design first. 40% chance the button doesn't register at an angle is absolutely absurd.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yes please. The option needs to be industry standard and that's not going to happen until Xbox gets on board since they're the last holdout.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised they haven't, considering everybody else did it.

I'm not a big fan of Gyro aiming, but I only ever used it on the steam controller.
I'm sure it's probably way better on a controller that isn't complete garbage though.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised they haven't, considering everybody else did it.

I'm not a big fan of Gyro aiming, but I only ever used it on the steam controller.
I'm sure it's probably way better on a controller that isn't complete garbage though.

The problem with the Steam Controller isn't the gyro itself, but rather with the configurations. The vast majority of them just slap the mouse onto the gyro and make no attempt to account for all of the cool features the controller can actually do. In the case of certain games, mixing mouse and controller can have it's own issues too such as input lag or flickering inputs.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Motion controls are dogshit and I'll never use them or buy a game that requires them but accessibility is important and all options should be included.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Motion controls are dogshit and I'll never use them or buy a game that requires them but accessibility is important and all options should be included.

Every single time... I wonder how often it has to be repeated before people realize that motion controls are not the same as gyro aiming?

Eh, regardless, I'm out. Tired of dealing with insanely dogmatic people who just come in with their free driveby takes just to stir up an argument.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you've used an air mouse like the 'magic remote' on an LG TV, then you're familiar with how those can be calibrated to require very little wrist movement to navigate the cursor across a wide area.

Gyro aiming on controllers is essentially a built-in air mouse. Many games even have sensitivity tuning that allow you determine how little you want to move to aim. It's no longer like the Wii IR aiming where you must be in front of the sensor bar.

Good gyro implementations have gyro as a seamless addition to stick aiming. I use thumbsticks for broad adjustments and gyro to finetune for headshots.

If a game has keyboard and mouse support, then it already supports precise aiming. Gyro gives access to that precise aiming in the form factor of a normal controller. And it can be disabled on a software level. Also, it works and is especially helpful on mobile devices like Switch and Steam Deck.

I don't think there's a risk of games having forced gyro, excepting if a game or section of a game is built around a motion concept (e.g. 1 2 Switch, or those dumb gyro shrines in BotW).

Even the biggest proponents of motion aim like Nintendo have gyro aim as a toggle. Yeah, even with gimmicky moments like the gyroscope shrines in Breath of the Wild, gyro aiming itself is still a toggle in that game. I'm pretty sure Nintendo and other developers are keenly aware of the backlash against forced motion, and they do correct it afterwards (e.g. Legends Arceus, Skyward Sword HD).

If there's a game with forced gyro then criticize it to kingdom come, just as one might criticize games with excessive QTEs, or excessive clicking of L3/R3, or input latency, or bad deadzones. Gyro is an input method just like sticks and buttons and it is up to developers to implement it well, including the options to adjust sensitivity or turn it off.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been long overdue. It would help with Xinput as well, as Steam games that don't allow simultaneous mouse/gamepad controls (very bad practice, devs please stop that) would be likelier to still support gyro controls.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
More options is always nice. I personally don't care about it and the couple switch games I've tried it on (BotW, MH Rise) it just felt bad to me and felt super janky and constantly lost calibration. But like I said, I'm all for them adding it if it's something other people want. No skin off my back.

ezekiel

Banned
Jul 6, 2022
Yep, accessibility options are always good and it's time Microsoft gets on board. They really cheaped out with their controller this gen which sucks.

And no, we won't see an influx of games that require gyro if they implement it lol

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I don't want gyro, and honestly gaming went completely downhill after the PS1 introduced dual analog sticks. /s

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i played a bunch of microsoft games recently that i used some gyro on. on a pc

at some point when a company doesnt do what you want you need to vote with your wallet and go to somewhere that does

constantly asking for Xbox gyro seems like a recipe for disappointment

why are you choosing to buy something that doesn't check your boxes when their competitors do? brand loyalty?

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I don't want it. But it seems unfair to not have it as an option for people who want it for aiming with gyro in games. Accessibility is always king. I don't want, however, gyro being a baseline expectation in the controller because I don't want any of Microsoft's first party titles to be designed to highlight gyro aiming. If that makes sense.
Gyro is in all modern PlayStation controllers and they hardly use it there, and when they do it's ALWAYS optional, and often OPT-IN, lol. Gyro should be built into the controllers, full stop. Especially when you consider that all 1st party games have to account for mouse control now, too.

Even Splatoon, which is built around Gyro, plays fine without it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I do get the people who just have no interest in using gyro even if you could somehow prove that it's tenchinally a 'superior' method or an advantage or whatever.

On so, so many games on Xbox, I could plug in a mouse and, natively, have the advantage of mouse aiming in my games. It's supported (like, properly supported, not just in place of a stick) in so games and I know that mouse aiming is 'better' but I can't be arsed when I wanna slump on the sofa and, at most, fiddle with the sticks of my controller like I've been doing for 30 years.

I like to use gyro aiming personally, but I have had instances where I've switched it off (BOTW arrow aiming with a Wii U pad comes to mind…) because I just can't be arsed and didn't feel like my experience was that much more incredible. So I do get that.

Would love it to come to Xbox though. It's a bit rubbish that they don't support it considering how it's in most controllers by default. I guess the 'every Xbox One/Series controller works on all Xboxes' thing forced them to really keep that controller functionally the same. It's especially wild when Xbox themselves put in the work to support gyro in Gears 5, streamed from an Xbox Series S, on Xbox Cloud Streaming when you're using a phone 😅

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Would love it to come to Xbox though. It's a bit rubbish that they don't support it considering how it's in most controllers by default. I guess the 'every Xbox One/Series controller works on all Xboxes' thing forced them to really keep that controller functionally the same.
Eh, I doubt that's the reason. As long as games don't require gyro (which they definitely shouldn't) then having a controller that doesn't allow an optional control scheme isn't the end of the world. I'd guess it's more about costs vs. demand for the feature.

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

at some point when a company doesnt do what you want you need to vote with your wallet and go to somewhere that does

why are you choosing to buy something that doesn't check your boxes when their competitors do? brand loyalty?

I mean, I haven't bought an Xbox product since my 360. I'm championing this as a PC (Steam controller user) and Switch user who just wants more options for gyro.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I mean it should be an option for those that want it. I don't particularly care. If I did I'd just use a mouse which is already an option on Xbox. It's just hard for me to not see it as a gimmick when a better method of control already exists, and has always existed.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Every time this topic comes up, people come RUSHING in to tell everyone how much they hate others having even the option of using gyro.

"I hate motion controls, therefore NOBODY should have them!" like shut the hell up lmao with your selfish ass

And you know what's funny? Xbox players are already playing against gyro users... through cross-play on PC/PS/Switch. I've used gyro on MCC for example; Fortnite officially supports gyro on Playstation & Switch. Sure, there probably aren't that many, but you still have to deal with gyro users regardless of whether its available on Xbox or not.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

What's voting with my wallet gonna do? How is MS supposed to interpret my lack of engagement with Xbox as a sign that they should implement gyro?

Online, vocal requests are a lot more productive, especially when they come in large numbers

Last edited:

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I don't want gyro, and honestly gaming went completely downhill after the PS1 introduced dual analog sticks. /s
dQy45Js.png

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada

really upsets me to realise there are -absolutely- people who were totally against dual analog sticks back in the day. like if you dug around enough there's gotta be some truly whacky posts from back then on the subject

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I did I'd just use a mouse which is already an option on Xbox. It's just hard for me to not see it as a gimmick when a better method of control already exists, and has always existed.

It is not straightforward to use keyboard and mouse when sitting on a couch, or in tandem with a normal controller. I would rather tilt my wrists slightly to use motion aiming on a normal gamepad - which I already do for numerous Switch and Playstation games - than sit at a desk or buy a lapboard just for aiming with a mouse.

Gyro aiming has been around for more than a decade, it is no longer a 'gimmick' to attract attention to a specific console or controller, it has become a reliable high-precision supplement to dual stick aiming for many people on multiple platforms. Even after Nintendo discarded gimmicks like 'waggle' and the Wii U gamepad, they kept gyro.

Gyro aiming with the Steam Controller, Switch Pro Controller and Playstation gamepads is a very popular option in Steam Input - despite PC games supporting keyboard and mouse by default.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I'd like for them to include it as an option for those that want it for sure, but personally I can't stand gyro.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
There's a whopping 83 posts in this thread, so there's probably not a need to create a quote to take down in your head lol.

I'm going to forgo the usual snark that typically comes with these exchanges and just say this:

We get this thread once every few months -- there are probably dozens out there at this point. And yes, inevitably we get a few posts that straight up say they don't want Xbox to ever support gyro, even as an option. We'll likely get an anti-gyro post soon enough, so my preempting isn't unwarranted.

And besides, if what I said doesn't apply to you then don't worry about.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems wild to me that the Xbox, PS5, and Switch controllers all basically have the same MSRP, but the PS5 controller has the highest build quality and all of these additional features that the other 2 controllers lack.

Xbox controller build quality is pretty awful, and the only thing it really has going for it is the d-pad I guess. Still no built-in rechargeable battery, which seems wild to me. I know a lot of people like being able to swap out the battery, but the first thing to fail in a PlayStation controller has never been the battery for me. It's always been one of the buttons or stick drift or something. I really don't think the battery failing is nearly as big an issue as one of the buttons failing.

The Switch controller has squishy buttons, backwards face buttons, and digital triggers.

The PS5 controller has to be being sold at a loss, right?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It is not straightforward to use keyboard and mouse when sitting on a couch, or in tandem with a normal controller. I would rather tilt my wrists slightly to use motion aiming on a normal gamepad - which I already do for numerous Switch and Playstation games - than sit at a desk or buy a lapboard just for aiming with a mouse.

Gyro aiming has been around for more than a decade, it is no longer a 'gimmick' to attract attention to a specific console or controller, it has become a reliable high-precision supplement to dual stick aiming for many people on multiple platforms. Even after Nintendo discarded gimmicks like 'waggle' and the Wii U gamepad, they kept gyro.

Gyro aiming with the Steam Controller, Switch Pro Controller and Playstation gamepads is a very popular option in Steam Input - despite PC games supporting keyboard and mouse by default.
I mean that's fine. I never said it shouldn't be an option. I'm all for it so long as it doesn't impact battery life. But again, if it's about control the mouse will continue to be better. And given that I frequently play laying down either is going to be a hassle for me. Also I never said it was a gimmick. I said it's hard for me to not see it as a gimmick based on my use cases for it. As it is a split controller like the Switch would be more beneficial to me than gyro. But again, options are great so I support it being added.
Seems wild to me that the Xbox, PS5, and Switch controllers all basically have the same MSRP, but the PS5 controller has the highest build quality and all of these additional features that the other 2 controllers lack.

Xbox controller build quality is pretty awful, and the only thing it really has going for it is the d-pad I guess.

The Switch controller has squishy buttons, backwards face buttons, and digital triggers.

The PS5 controller has to be being sold at a loss, right?
The DualSense also has the worst battery life of any controller I've used. Which is wild considering that it only has two things the switch pro controller doesn't have the speaker/mic and the triggers. That shit needs to be fixed before anyone starts praising it.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the only reason why I won't buy any of their three dozen new controllers they release each year. They could dominate the controller space if they would incorporate gyro functionality.

Maybe Steam should make a new Steam controller instead for us on PC anyway.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm going to forgo the usual snark that typically comes with these exchanges and just say this:

We get this thread once every few months -- there are probably dozens out there at this point. And yes, inevitably we get a few posts that straight up say they don't want Xbox to ever support gyro, even as an option. We'll likely get an anti-gyro post soon enough, so my preempting isn't unwarranted.

And besides, if what I said doesn't apply to you then don't worry about.
Fair enough. Bald-faced strawmans just always get me laughing. I do see what you're saying though and I agree overall.

Aug 4, 2021
If Xbox embraced gyro maybe that would spill over to pc and more devs would be mindful of it when releasing games. Many games just fail at allowing it to properly implemented with steam input. It's annoying.

I really can't even play shooting games without it. Feels so stiff and restrictive.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
They should definitely include it as an option in the menus for all games, but I'm glad it's not a feature or a primary function of their controllers. I don't want gyro baked into the experience of any of their games as anything other than an aiming option for third-party controllers.
It would be precedent-breaking, but that's a natural evolution of when something becomes standardized across the industry. Maybe I'm thinking irrationally, but I'd like to avoid the possibility of ever having to play something that requires gyro if I can.

There's a 0% risk of this. It's an option.

Jul 1, 2020
I would love it if they did it the same way they did audio out on early Xbox One controllers. Make a dongle to add it to existing controllers and have it out of the box in new ones.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
really upsets me to realise there are -absolutely- people who were totally against dual analog sticks back in the day. like if you dug around enough there's gotta be some truly whacky posts from back then on the subject
I find it hilarious history just repeats itself over and over again.

We have to see "aS lOnG aS iTs OpTiOnaL" spammed in every single gyro thread... If it becomes baked in, then there's a good reason. Just like when we went to the "scary controls" of Alien Ressurection.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
The DualSense also has the worst battery life of any controller I've used. Which is wild considering that it only has two things the switch pro controller doesn't have the speaker/mic and the triggers. That shit needs to be fixed before anyone starts praising it.
Yeah I'm gonna second that.

I have almost every thing disabled on my PS5 controller by default (like the haptic stuff, speaker) and it still croaks after 8-9 hours

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If anything, gyro should've already been added. More options are never a bad thing, especially regarding accessibility.