• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My general rule of thumb is that I assume that every company is run by a huge asshole, but the ones that are SUCH big assholes that they can't keep it out of my direct field of vision are the ones who get boycotted. Papa John's, Chick-fil-A, and Jimmy John's are good examples when it comes to fast food.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Checking the political affiliation of everything I buy sounds exhausting and depressing. A willfully ignorant and happy consumer sounds like the way to go.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
There's Good on You for clothes/shoe brands.
It rates on worker rights and eco friendliness. I believe they have both google and iTunes apps

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Boycotter's Helper.

hHrbB8LNYA-4.png

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some men just want to watch the world burn

Welp there it is

Yikes

I did nazi that coming

There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism

Edit: Sorry, I think my posting bot script is fucked up or something tonight

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My general rule of thumb is that I assume that every company is run by a huge asshole, but the ones that are SUCH big assholes that they can't keep it out of my direct field of vision are the ones who get boycotted. Papa John's, Chick-fil-A, and Jimmy John's are good examples when it comes to fast food.
This is good, I'm not out here digging into every CEO of every company I buy from

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Easiest might be to just buy less period. There's so much crap we don't really need or we can use our current items for a little longer.

That, and buy more second handed or repair it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately you can just select the causes you care about the most, because if you truly want to apply such boycotts you can basically not buy anything electronic.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism.
This.
You're free to boycott whatever you want if it makes you feel better, or if you genuinely think it can send a message somehow. But no matter what, as long as you participate in capitalism, you are furthering suffering elsewhere. Period. Even something seemingly innocent likely had factors in its harvesting, production or shipment that lead to someone being harmed physically, mentally, monetarily, or all three. At the same time, it's the system almost all of us here are a part of, and it's involuntary, so you shouldn't feel guilty about it, or at least, not enough to make you feel like you're not a good person. Instead, take steps to empower workers and engender acceptance and egalitarianism in people.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
There's an app where you can scan the barcodes and you see where the product is originated and which country profit from it.
Originally it was an anti-Israel boycot app, but now it's much broader.
Don't know the name though, since my smartphone broke down and i'm not gonna get another one

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You have to assume anything that isn't on such a website/app/list is an even greater evil that successfully hides their nefarious deeds.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That app exists, it's called Goods Unite Us: Politics 4 sale. It's on iTunes.

How reliable is that site and, where do they find and how do they compile the data? I used Nestlé as a test and somehow it says:

DONATION DISTRIBUTION
Percentages donated by senior employees and / or company.
49%DEMOCRAT
51%REPUBLICAN

TOP 5 DONATED TO

Bernie Sanders
Chuck Grassley
Hillary Clinton
Lisa Murkowski
Roy Blunt

Bernie doesn't take corporations' money, and definitely not Nestlé. He's been extremely vocal about them in his criticism.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
While it's probably true that there is "no ethical consumption under capitalism", it is also true - or at the very least worthwhile to pursue - consumption habits that are less reprehensible (depending on your own moral aesthetic).

The danger of reflexively stating "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" is that it has roughly the same effect as "well, why do you care about this specific thing, and why are you not equally invested in every other injustice, huh?".

It allows for a nihilistic approach to consumerism - "I can't change everything, so fuck everything. I'm going to buy whatever I want because everything is shit" - which might feel woke and truthful (and, in some way, it is) but which doesn't look any different, on paper, from the habits of completely uninformed consumerism. What's going on inside your mind and heart - whether you're being genuine or "ironic" with your purchases - is completely irrelevant to corporations.

in terms of structural change, the impact of maintaining such a list is probably next-to-nothing, but there's no real good argument for why it shouldn't exist. If anything it just allows for more transparency and consumer-empowerment (to use a gross, almost new-speak word) if you just list problematic stuff companies currently engage in - and have historically engaged in - and let consumers make up their own mind whether or not they feel like it's a contextually acceptable purchase to make.

It's very easy to dogmatically decry consumerism under capitalism, but in doing so, you glibly skip over the fact that we still live under capitalism, and have to make a lot of purchases just in order to not wither away.

At this point - when capitalism is essentially expressing itself in its most inhumane, "we might not even need human workers anymore"-stage - it feels a little misplaced to chide people (many who are just beginning to think about these things in a political, systematic way) for wanting to have any kind of centralized documentation that could help them make less terrible choices (big or small).

"You can't make any purchases if you truly want to get rid of capitalism that you say you don't like" is not really helpful outside of scoring cheap dunks on people who are asking for a place to start.

Last edited:

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

EDIT : replying to the post above, I don't mean it in a "you can't do shit because the system has you in a deadlock" it's more of a "you can only do so much". Chose your priorities but know that the capitalistic system is fucking everything up.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Get the hell off ResetEra. I'm pretty sure the device you're using to browse it and the servers that run it are made by unethical companies and packed with products from China. And don't get me started on the advertisers that fund it...

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Would be nice if white people could get this critical of corporations when it's not only non-white people doing shady things. America and all of its major companies are just exploitative as China's.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
There's an app that tracks palm oil use in products...I forget the name, but my wife has it on her phone. Just type in a product or scan a bar code, and it tells you if it uses palm oil and where the company sources it...

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
live in a mountain and grow your own crop

This is the only way.

But if you weren't brought up knowing how to deal with all the problems you're going to encounter doing so (which is pretty much all of us) then you'll die.

So stop worrying about not supporting every little thing that supports something else that supports something else that supports something else you don't agree with. It's literally, very likely impossible.

I stopped eating meat this year and it's been great. But I went down the rabbit hole of cutting out foods that supported animal exploitation. In the process I tried to cut out any companies that supported things involving animal exploitation and holy shit did that get ridiculous.

Now I just don't eat meat and try to keep my dairy and egg intake to a minimum. I plan on at least completely cutting out dairy and eggs once I have a bit more time and money to eat better vegan food. But just like what you're saying, it was nearly impossible to only buy food from grocery stores, farms, companies, corporations, etc. that did not support the things I didn't want to support.

I came to the conclusion that the only way I could do such a thing would be to live like a hermit out in the middle of nowhere and never talk to anyone, completely living off the land and supporting myself. Which of course brings me back to the beginning of my post.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I want to be progressive but I want someone to make it easy for me because research is hard"

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I boycott the following:

Pepsi because of the commercial
Blizzard because of China
Dragon Quest because of composer
Nintendo for allowing so many Dragon Quest games on their platform
Wayfair because is the beds

May 15, 2018
Denmark
"I want to be progressive but I want someone to make it easy for me because research is hard"
This is a bullshit attitude. If you want to influence or make a difference, you need to make it easy to do for the broad masses. The OP is actually trying to do research but it is impossible without some kind of communication and interpretation by a third party.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
This site exists already, it's called google. If you put the company name in google and get a hit you probably shouldn't buy any products or services from them.

Also, google is another brand to avoid.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a bullshit attitude. If you want to influence or make a difference, you need to make it easy to do for the broad masses. The OP is actually trying to do research but it is impossible without some kind of communication and interpretation by a third party.

OP wants other people to do the research for him so he can scan a barcode to find out if a brand has issues or not. The whole point of this thread is them wanting to avoid doing the research.

"I want someone to tell me which brands I should support and which ones to boycott because I can't figure it out for myself" is lazy and harmful. If you really care about this stuff then actually research the brands you use, stop replying on other people to do it for you.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019
How reliable is that site and, where do they find and how do they compile the data? I used Nestlé as a test and somehow it says:

Bernie doesn't take corporations' money, and definitely not Nestlé. He's been extremely vocal about them in his criticism.

This is from donation records that are available to the public. Although Bernie might not be getting money from Nestle directly, people who work for Nestle might be donating to him.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

corporations don't donate to candidates. people (who often work for corporations) do. even if you donate $10 to a candidate they have to collect information on your occupation and employer to report to the FEC. this info is aggregated into "so-and-so receives $X from Y industry", which is why that information is often pretty meaningless and simply tells you what the major industries in someone's district are.