• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
One Thousand Seven Hundred Forty Five point Seven Percent!

Oh shit bitches, I'm rich, I'm wealthy, I'm comfortably well off!! For 5 quick seconds I was on the other side of the tracks even though I knew that was no way my portfolio could jump that much in a day in a legit fashion. Turns out Rite Aid reverse split their stock today (20:1) and I forgot about it.

I'm still poor.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
latest

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Better get those getaway driver speeds up maino

Im working on it. Not going so well. Fast turns are scary

You can pull out some stock to sell for the next time you rack up all those parking tickets

Had one on the car last week, "Just when I thought I was out...."

Stop gambling on individual stocks. It's not investing, it's pure speculation.

Dude. After 30 plus years, I finally understood the ending of Trading Places last month. Now you want me to give up on gambling right when im getting good at it. Ok , not good or even fair but still.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
One Thousand Seven Hundred Forty Five point Seven Percent!

Oh shit bitches, I'm rich, I'm wealthy, I'm comfortably well off!! For 5 quick seconds I was on the other side of the tracks even though I knew that was no way my portfolio could jump that much in a day in a legit fashion. Turns out Rite Aid reverse split their stock today (20:1) and I forgot about it.

I'm still poor.
Rite Aid? All the Rite Aids around here either turned into CVSes or got taken out by a Wallgreens across the street

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I was looking at rite aid a few weeks ago it was so low I figured they'd do something to turn it around and it fell off my radar. Would have been cool if I sank even just $200 into it

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iirc Walgreens wanted to buy out Rite Aid completely but the government said it'd be a monopoly so whatever is left of Rite Aid is whatever Walgreens wasn't allowed to own

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I was looking at rite aid a few weeks ago it was so low I figured they'd do something to turn it around and it fell off my radar. Would have been cool if I sank even just $200 into it

It was a reverse split- that's not a good thing for people who already own shares. Given it was a 20:1 reverse split, if you invested $200 you would go from having 289 shares to 14.5 shares. The 14.5 shares are now trading at $9.88, so your $200 is would now be worth $143 dollars. And that's not even accounting for potential brokerage fees due to the mandatory action (which could run close to $40). Reverse splits are done by companies who are well on their way to bankruptcy, aka HMNY.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
It was a reverse split- that's not a good thing for people who already own shares. Given it was a 20:1 reverse split, if you invested $200 you would go from having 289 shares to 14.5 shares. The 14.5 shares are now trading at $9.88, so your $200 is would now be worth $143 dollars. And that's not even accounting for potential brokerage fees due to the mandatory action (which could run close to $40). Reverse splits are done by companies who are well on their way to bankruptcy, aka HMNY.

The shares I own are worth the same amount of total capital as they did previous to the 20:1 split, I just have less shares. The price is actually higher as of this moment than it was when trading opened. I'm not saying it is a good investment now but I have not loss any money due to the reverse split. Also, no fees since I trade on Robin Hood.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Just checked my account. My Rite Aid shares are gone. I bought a few shares at .69 last month.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
The shares I own are worth the same amount of total capital as they did previous to the 20:1 split, I just have less shares. The price is actually higher as of this moment than it was when trading opened. I'm not saying it is a good investment now but I have not loss any money due to the reverse split. Also, no fees since I trade on Robin Hood.

I'm not addressing whether you have lost money on the split. I'm talking about if someone invested money right before they announced the split. They were trading at 69 cents a share at that point. And yeah, it looks slightly better now because the price of shares continued to rise throughout the day. It's probably going to be transient though, so the whole "oh, I wish I invested money into Rite Aid because of a reverse split" isn't really the best logic.

Unless the person investing expects them to turn it around and change their fundamental balance sheet, but that's not really the impression I got from the post.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, OP! I'm still waiting on my 3000 shares of Moviepass to make me some sweet money.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not addressing whether you have lost money on the split. I'm talking about if someone invested money right before they announced the split. They were trading at 69 cents a share at that point. And yeah, it looks slightly better now because the price of shares continued to rise throughout the day. It's probably going to be transient though, so the whole "oh, I wish I invested money into Rite Aid because of a reverse split" isn't really the best logic.

Unless the person investing expects them to turn it around and change their fundamental balance sheet, but that's not really the impression I got from the post.

Got you. It's a short term gain I would say at best. Up almost 2 dollars a share today but that I do assume is just the "dust settling"

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
LOL you didn't experience cryptocurrency then. I woke up one day richer than Jeff Bezos. I had 600 billion worth of Cryto for 10 minutes.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Stop gambling on individual stocks. It's not investing, it's pure speculation.
In general you are right, but if you get it right the gains can be really worthwhile.

I invested in Apple in like 2006 and got my sisters to do the same. That turned out to be a heck of an investment. I actually made the least because I sold it first, but one of my sisters was able to pay off most of her house from that investment.

And OP you will get there one day. And when you do make to remind us all how much better you are than the rest of us because of you new found wealth.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for explaining this.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone mention Tony Danza yet?

This happened in an episode of Who's the Boss

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston

Fuck, thanks for the explanation. I got a pay raise and just started gambling on stocks this month so I have no idea. I'm on Robinhood like OP though I wouldn't have lost anything. I'll be sure to stick to the things I know lol.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Turns out I didn't own enough stock for them to give me their "new" revised stock, so they're just refunding me my money.