• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because testosterone is a natural steroid that's the root cause of why we separate men and women into two different categories in the first place. Cis Men have around 10x the level of Testosterone that Cis Women do, but prior to puberty boys and girls have similar levels. The reference ranges for levels are below. This is why boys/girls can compete interchangeably for a while as kids, but once puberty hits their bodies start changing in radically different ways. Boys start putting on much more physical mass and strength relative to the amount women are able to do. This massive asymmetry in physical strength created by the post-puberty changes in steroid sex hormones is the primary reason why we have gender segregated sports. And that is why transitioning trans women are required to have been on HRT for a period of time before competing, in order to try and get them on a level playing field with existing female competitors.

https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/83686Men

There's an upper natural limit they test for with both men and women, as generally if you're significant above that limit you're probably doping. It's not an arbitrary guidepost. This situation is an outlier because these conditions are very, very rare. Both AIS variants (partial and complete) have estimates around the 1 in 100K people mark. That's a grand total of 6000 people in the USA, for instance, out of a population of 300M.

It is arbitrary because 1. She is not doping, 2. Why is the line being drawn at hormones?

knocturnalis

Oct 27, 2017
Largely, the IAAF has let her and many other trans athletes and intersex athletes complete as long as the meet the rules. If they finally ruled against her despite letting her compete after the original case 10 years ago, something must be up.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Of course, all athletes have a severe advantage above the common people.
I can train all I want but I will never win at running or such.
To me, it comes around competing. Imo men and women are separated because of the muscle issue. That's the main difference. That mostly comes from testosterone.
Why not look what most females in specific sports have for testosterone levels and set a limit there sport by sport. That in my mind is fair.
But don't exclude her, just put her in a different category. Put her in testosterone level she probably belongs and that is probably with the men, although she is a woman.
Why not cancel this distinction about gender in sports, if you separate the men from the women because of the muscle issue and testosterone level. Why not get directly to the source and use the testosterone levels for judging where someone competes and cut all this confusion. Unless the sport is also dealing with weight like boxing. Then you can combine weight and testosterone levels.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is arbitrary because 1. She is not doping, 2. Why is the line being drawn at hormones?
The line is drawn there because steroid sex hormones are the reason we have gendered sports in the first place It's not arbitrary, and we already require trans women to adjust their hormones before being able to compete. This is done because the testes produce massive amounts of testosterone. On the flip side, TRT is required as lifetime treatment for cis men who've had to remove one or both due to testicular cancer.
Why not cancel this distinction about gender in sports, if you separate the men from the women because of the muscle issue and testosterone level. Why not get directly to the source and use the testosterone levels for judging where someone competes and cut all this confusion. Unless the sport is also dealing with weight like boxing. Then you can combine weight and testosterone levels.
See my post on the prior page. Splitting by testosterone level will get you a gender split. Men have 10x the level women do on average.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
The line is drawn there because steroid sex hormones are the reason we have gendered sports in the first place It's not arbitrary, and we already require trans women to adjust their hormones before being able to compete. This is done because the testes produce massive amounts of testosterone. On the flip side, TRT is required as lifetime treatment for cis men who've had to remove one or both due to testicular cancer.

See my post on the prior page. Splitting by testosterone level will get you a gender split. Men have 10x the level women do on average.
What is so bad about a gender split? Also, there would not be any problem with testosterone if this is what you use to select who gets to compete where. This would solve these extremely rare cases very easily. You can still compete against people of your own testosterone level. And you don't have to reduce your own natural testosterone level (like she would need to do now to compete). In effect, this will mean that in 99.9% cases there will be a gender split in sports but it will in other cases give an elegant and fair way of other people outside this range to compete.
Although we come at weird things here. Phelps would never be so good if he hadn't had the gene makeup like he has. So, in essence, this athlete has another gene benefit that is natural and in that sense she should have no problem to compete. It is different I think is because the sporting regulations set testosterone levels before she competed, no?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is so bad about a gender split? Also, there would not be any problem with testosterone if this is what you use to select who gets to compete where. This would solve these extremely rare cases very easily. You can still compete against people of your own testosterone level. And you don't have to reduce your own natural testosterone level (like she would need to do now to compete). In effect, this will mean that in 99.9% cases there will be a gender split in sports but it will in other cases give an elegant and fair way of other people outside this range to compete.
Although we come at weird things here. Phelps would never be so good if he hadn't had the gene makeup like he has. So, in essence, this athlete has another gene benefit that is natural and in that sense she should have no problem to compete. It is different I think is because the sporting regulations set testosterone levels before she competed, no?
A gender split and a testosterone split will get you the exact same groups for 99,99% of the population was my point. They're functionally identical.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
A gender split and a testosterone split will get you the exact same groups for 99,99% of the population was my point. They're functionally identical.
That's true but it will give her an extra option to compete with men. Or can she do that already?
And do we know if the testosterone level was already set before she was competing?

knocturnalis

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see. The "biological male" stuff confused me. So she's just a woman with naturally higher testosterone. Labeling her male based on that is kinda insulting I would think
Women typically don't have testosterone that high. It's likely that she has a DSD that is causing her to produce that much testosterone. It has even been speculated that Caster has internal testes that are causing her to produce that amount of testosterone. She may have gotten them removed, but if she hasn't she needs to so she won't get testicular cancer.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused by the reaction I guess. If you're going to ban most trans folk from competing (which most of the internet seems to be okay with normally) then this is how you do it, it's the only fair way. You can't be like "We're gonna ban trans people on hormones from competing, but not this cisgender women with equally high amounts".

I hope most people against this are also against banning people on hormone treatment in general, because if you're not, you're a hypocrite. Let trans people compete

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
That doesn't address what I asked at all. Other swimmers don't have Michael Phelp's arm span, feet, etc. Most other basketball players didn't have Shaq's height. Some people have genetic advantages, that is nothing new in the world of sports. Why does her specific advantage make it OK to discriminate her?

She's not trans so this is a separate conversation from what trans athletes do or don't do, but nowhere have I advocated that trans athletes should have to do HRT. How is she harming the group of women athletes by existing and competing? Because she's better and she wins?

We could also argue that her advantage is way too big. Shaq being tall and strong or Phelps having bigger wing span that people usually have are advantages, but nothing that makes them too "OP"

Her advantage could be as much as 7 seconds. That is freaking huge in 800m run.

We had coutless female athletes from eastern Europe countries in the 80s that look like men and were dominating the competition outrageously. I don't recall those kind of investigations.

This is happening because Semenya is black. Plain and simple.

This is just utter bullshit. This have nothing to with her being black. Those Eastern European women's were and still are joke and how they weren't caught, because it was so clear they were doping and everyone criticized them.

It's not a separate issue, it's the same core reason- we make Trans women who produce cis male levels of testosterone go on HRT before competing to avoid an unfair advantage, and I don't have an issue with that reasoning being applied to cis or intersex female athletes.

Exactly this. Thank you.

Swiss Supreme Court
OP
OP
Blue Lou

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
UPDATE.

Semenya's lawyers claim that the Swiss Supreme Court has suspended the CAS decision.

D8JmcnXXkAAf6Xs.png

Last edited:

Lucky241

Oct 31, 2017
the shores of Carcosa
Did she sue in Switzerland or do they have jurisdiction over the IAAF? The IAAF is headquartered in Monaco. I'm just curious why it's the Swiss court and not South Africa or Monaco.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
UPDATE.

Semenya's lawyers claim that the Swiss Supreme Court has suspended the CAS decision.

D8JmcnXXkAAf6Xs.png

Good news. It is completely ridiculous to expect her to take medication that could have serious adverse effects on her physical and mental health just because she has natural genetic advantages. If we're banning athletes for that, we need to be consistent and ban the bevy of other extreme genetic disadvantages that a very small number of people might have in a given sport.