• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
of course he was not planned to be the villain of this trilogy from the start, which doesn't matter at all, neither was Vader being Lukes father and that was the defining theme of episodes 5 and 6. I think it's awesome.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KK said "this was in the blueprint for a long time," then she says "it was always [to be in Ep IX]." (Interviewer's words that she agrees with.) If they had the blueprint for the Emperor for a long time, why would Colin say "It's honestly something I never considered?" Even if it was just an idea that was being floated around, why would no one clue in the writer/director of the movie?

Can we just lay this to rest yet?

A long time =/= since the beginning.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People that actually unironically like him coming back are the reason why we can't have nice things in star wars.

Creative bankruptcy at it's finest.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
People that actually unironically like him coming back are the reason why we can't have nice things in star wars.

I felt like TLJ was setting up Kylo Ren as the ultimate antagonist and his conflicts of interest within the first order officers, and Kylo's incompetence , chaotic style of leadership and self explosion would be a more interesting finale, but unfortunately I guess it's going to be a cliche. Actually Palpatine did it all!

I like Palpatine being in it in some form, just not as being explained to be the ultimate point of the sequel trilogy. I bet there is indeed going to be a scene like Spectre 'I am the author of all your pain'

Oct 26, 2017
I felt like TLJ was setting up Kylo Ren as the ultimate antagonist and his conflicts of interest within the first order officers, and Kylo's incompetence , chaotic style of leadership and self explosion would be a more interesting finale, but unfortunately I guess it's going to be a cliche. Actually Palpatine did it all!

I like Palpatine being in it in some form, just not as being explained to be the ultimate point of the sequel trilogy. I bet there is indeed going to be a scene like Spectre 'I am the author of all your pain'
He doesn't really have the legs to stand on to be an intimidating enemy; he always gets bested by Rey or whoever and was established as too complex of a character for Star Wars to simply be the big baddie. I really don't think people take him seriously as a villain in the same sense they did Vader. I think they'll 100% gonna redemption arc him because of that, and that's partially why they've brought back Palpatine and will probably end up capitalizing off of the balance talk in the first film.

So...McDiarmid as a desperate callback was the only way a modern Star Wars could ever work?
The new trilogy hasn't captured me, and I've never had faith in JJ delivering a satisfying conclusion to a messy trilogy. But Palpatine is fun, so who knows? Maybe he'll steal the show

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't really have the legs to stand on to be an intimidating enemy; he always gets bested by Rey or whoever and was established as too complex of a character for Star Wars to simply be the big baddie. I really don't think people take him seriously as a villain in the same sense they did Vader. I think they'll 100% gonna redemption arc him because of that, and that's partially why they've brought back Palpatine and will probably end up capitalizing off of the balance talk in the first film.

The new trilogy hasn't captured me, and I've never had faith in JJ delivering a satisfying conclusion to a messy trilogy. But Palpatine is fun, so who knows? Maybe he'll steal the show
He is intimidating, not in the same way as Vader, where he keep winning battles and is very cool and calm, yet when Kylo meets the heroes, shit happens, his actions got Luke and Han Solo killed, and he almost broke Rey after killing Snoke. I think Kylo could easily be the big bad, as a Caligula and uncontrollable shit.

never

Oct 28, 2017

I've loved all the star wars stuff we've been getting over the last few years, except for the last jedi. And I'm pretty pumped about him coming back! So I hope things keep going in this direction.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Let's see how he works as a villain, since no one in the main cast has a direct connection to him, except maybe force ghost Luke. Honestly kind of hope that Hayden returns in a small cameo, maybe as a force ghost or a voice.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I've loved all the star wars stuff we've been getting over the last few years, except for the last jedi. And I'm pretty pumped about him coming back! So I hope things keep going in this direction.
I'm all for more Palptatine, but I think it doesn't do his character justice, if they try and clumsily explain he made everything happen, it'll be like Spectre all over again.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, JJ asking him back only recently doesn't necessarily mean bringing Palpatine back was only a recent idea. The guy was lending his voice to Angry Birds Star Wars around the time The Force Awakens was in development. I don't think him turning down a role in the ST was ever a concern.

never

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for more Palptatine, but I think it doesn't do his character justice, if they try and clumsily explain he made everything happen, it'll be like Spectre all over again.

I don't know what Spectre is, but we have a large history of dead force users not actually being dead, so I don't really have any issue with this at all. I think it's great that the main sith bad guy from all the movies in the past is still out there being the bad guy.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know what Spectre is, but we have a large history of dead force users not actually being dead, so I don't really have any issue with this at all. I think it's great that the main sith bad guy from all the movies in the past is still out there being the bad guy.

It does invalidate a big part of the catharsis of the OT on the other hand.

Retconning the OT's ending always disturbs me.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Let's see how he works as a villain, since no one in the main cast has a direct connection to him, except maybe force ghost Luke. Honestly kind of hope that Hayden returns in a small cameo, maybe as a force ghost or a voice.

They should have him reveal he created Anakin as originally intended so he's now Ben's great-grandfather from a certain point of view.

"At last, my boy"

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I meant The James Bond film, Spectre, when they bring Blofeld back, played by Christoph Waltz, which didn't sound like a bad idea in theory, but bad in its execution to 'arc weld'.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I remember when Revenge came out, I frequented the Millenium Falcon forums at the time, and fools who saw early screening of the movie were legit in there saying homeboy was going to win an Oscar for his performance.

I remember being like "Wow, that sounds crazy" and smash cut to me sitting in the theater opening night as the entire audience burst into laughter over the "No, no..." line. I'll never forget it.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So...McDiarmid as a desperate callback was the only way a modern Star Wars could ever work?

Only within the context of what TLJ left that was actually workable to conclude the ST. Kylo was debased as a serious threat even within TLJ.

Consider that even Abrams knew that how Kylo was portrayed in TFA wasn't credible long term. That's why he included the line with Snoke saying that they were going to fall back and complete him training.

The fact that TLJ chose to be a direct followup (this is not something that the end scene of TFA by any means forced) took that away. So the situation is then compounded even more when Kylo keeps losing to Rey, and acts like an idiot even after he 'takes the thrown'.

They killed their villain in Act II and flattened the protagonist antagonist relationship, all while reinforcing a boring binary dichotomy. You would have thought was the opposite of what TLJ was going for. In the end it embraces even less interesting versions of the very same things that it attempting to critique. It expended valuable narrative capital to replace Coke with Diet Pepsi when it promised a Kraft Beer. This is why TLJ is ultimately a poor deconstruction because there is nothing new, nor nothing added, by subverting a surface level reading of its tropes and leaving either a vacuum or impotence in its place.
Anyone can come up with 'let's kill Snoke before he turns into Empire 2.0!', that's not creative.

Introducing the emotional/sexual tension between Rey/Kylo only to resolve it by the end before either of them become symbols of their respective sides with said dramatic potential being set aside is not creative. TLJ needed to actually do something new in its third act to conclude its thesis, and instead it's a tepid réaffirment of 'same old same old'

It's prety telling that the only example anyone has ever given on how you could otherwise carry on from TLJ 'and do whatever you want'... actually is just the most obvious and self evident premise, with no dramatic tension to it.

It's almost like you need to add complexity in your second act instead of reducing it. That you want uncertainty of OUTCOMES and CONSEQUENCES in your second act to engage your audience instead of creating a tensionless foregone conclusion that IS a retread of something we've seen a million times.

I honestly don't think that many people who love TLJ AND call it a deconstruction or claim that it offers insight understand that it fails at those very things.

It forces a reliance on the same tropes it critiques by not adding anything new as its conclusion. It has no insight, nor substance after all is said and done because it can't offer anything new.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I remember when Revenge came out, I frequented the Millenium Falcon forums at the time, and fools who saw early screening of the movie were legit in there saying homeboy was going to win an Oscar for his performance.

I remember being like "Wow, that sounds crazy" and smash cut to me sitting in the theater opening night as the entire audience burst into laughter over the "No, no..." line. I'll never forget it.

With the lines that he was fed, he definitely pulled off a legendary performance

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ forced Episode 9 to be how it is. The fact that 2/3 of the Trilogy takes place in like a 30 hour window is a huge problem.

How Palpatine survives is still up in the air but his going into hiding for 30+ years is well within reasonable behavior for a Sith Lord who faced defeat. The Sith survived 1000+ years of knowing when to get into the shadows and disappear.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
This would have been an incredible twist if they had kept it a secret.

Unfortunately, they are now having to use his return to market the movie in hopes of bringing back those disillusioned by the new trilogy.

Or maybe they're hoping that people think that they had a plan all along..

It's sad really this should have been a surprise and mapped out long ago. You have to have a through line for a trilogy throwing shit at the wall three times in a row doesn't work. I'd think for a billion dollar franchise we'd put a decent amount of planning but I guess not.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
He said that on the phone call, JJ said "We're thinking of bringing back the Emperor."
While that's true, Colin already said that Palpatine wasn't part of his script at all.
He explicitly says Abrams told him they were thinking about bringing Palpatine back and wondered if he was interested. It doesn't actually sound as though they had anything set in stone and they were still casting people for the movie in the middle of 2018. Heck, they didn't start filming until August of that year and it was only around that time that it was announced Matt Smith was in the movie. You have to remember Abrams had way less time to work on this movie than either The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi, so things would've been pretty chaotic for a while.

Maybe they thought they could get away with using Matt Smith for Palpatine instead of McDiarmid, who knows, but I'd be very surprised if they called Ian McDiarmid to reprise the role before August last year.

I know it's likely they had nothing set in stone from the beginning, but neither were they very strict about anything else besides the endgame for where the characters were going to end up and very general ideas, no different than the OT, which started VERY different than how it ended in the mind of Lucas.

And I meant that just because Ian didn't know about Palpatine until he got the call, we know both JJ and KK were at least flirting with the idea of bringing back Palpatine for years now. The fact that Trevorrow was fired and his script didn't include Palpatine at all, might be a sign also that KK and Lucasfilm in general already wanted him in some form. Maybe, it's going to be years since we get a definitive answer to this, if ever.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Only within the context of what TLJ left that was actually workable to conclude the ST. Kylo was debased as a serious threat even within TLJ.

Consider that even Abrams knew that how Kylo was portrayed in TFA wasn't credible long term. That's why he included the line with Snoke saying that they were going to fall back and complete him training.

The fact that TLJ chose to be a direct followup (this is not something that the end scene of TFA by any means forced) took that away. So the situation is then compounded even more when Kylo keeps losing to Rey, and acts like an idiot even after he 'takes the thrown'.

They killed their villain in Act II and flattened the protagonist antagonist relationship, all while reinforcing a boring binary dichotomy. You would have thought was the opposite of what TLJ was going for. In the end it embraces even less interesting versions of the very same things that it attempting to critique. It expended valuable narrative capital to replace Coke with Diet Pepsi when it promised a Kraft Beer. This is why TLJ is ultimately a poor deconstruction because there is nothing new, nor nothing added, by subverting a surface level reading of its tropes and leaving either a vacuum or impotence in its place.
Anyone can come up with 'let's kill Snoke before he turns into Empire 2.0!', that's not creative.

Introducing the emotional/sexual tension between Rey/Kylo only to resolve it by the end before either of them become symbols of their respective sides with said dramatic potential being set aside is not creative. TLJ needed to actually do something new in its third act to conclude its thesis, and instead it's a tepid réaffirment of 'same old same old'

It's prety telling that the only example anyone has ever given on how you could otherwise carry on from TLJ 'and do whatever you want'... actually is just the most obvious and self evident premise, with no dramatic tension to it.

It's almost like you need to add complexity in your second act instead of reducing it. That you want uncertainty of OUTCOMES and CONSEQUENCES in your second act to engage your audience instead of creating a tensionless foregone conclusion that IS a retread of something we've seen a million times.

I honestly don't think that many people who love TLJ AND call it a deconstruction or claim that it offers insight understand that it fails at those very things.

It forces a reliance on the same tropes it critiques by not adding anything new as its conclusion. It has no insight, nor substance after all is said and done because it can't offer anything new.
Completely disagree. I thought Episode VIII was setting up a Calligula type of story for Kylo Ren, after we saw Hux think about killling him and being humilated by Luke's illusion on the battlefield. That sounds interesting to me and a good set up.

Not so much how Kylo might try and seduce Rey again or threaten the resistance... but how the inner conflict of the first order, Hux potentially creating his own faction of the first order, and the chaos it causes provides a new threat to the galaxy. The Knights of Ren turning out to be loyal to Snoke and also causes a inner threat to Kylo Ren and the resistance, could also be an exciting plot without the need to say, "Oh actually it's just Palpatine again" I don't think there's anything wrong with the TLJ set up, the only thing I would have really changed would having Poe leave the resistance, and being punished for the mutiny, so he has an interesting place to start in IX.

Maybe some of this happens, I haven't read the spoilers but still.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It does invalidate a big part of the catharsis of the OT on the other hand.

Retconning the OT's ending always disturbs me.
I get that, but the ST already overrode everything else that was accomplished at the end of RotJ. So in that case, also invalidating Vader's sacrifice just feels kind of 'whatever' at this point. And if doing so allows them to bring back a character as fun as Palpatine, then what the hell, I say go for it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Think the sequels have been very solid thus far, and can't wait to see Sheev back in all his evil glory.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Joyless people hoarding their opinions as gospel are the reason I love Star Wars but not the fan base.

Can't wait to see where they take us this film.
Quite right. I absolutely loathe the Star Wars fan base after watching a YouTube documentary on Phantom Menace's release. Toxic, implacable, and ultimately yes, as you say, joyless.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I still doesn't quite understand this. I mean, I get it from a cash-grab perspective. Dude is extremely charismatic, a beloved villain who were with us all OT and PT but...
If the ST is telling us that many times that old folks are just dated and the important ones are the young ones and the ones that are coming... why kill Snoke so nonchalantly fast and then bring back a guy who was surely dead by all means on ROTJ?

I only saw the ending laugh on the trailer but still quite believe this is real...

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still doesn't quite understand this. I mean, I get it from a cash-grab perspective. Dude is extremely charismatic, a beloved villain who were with us all OT and PT but...
If the ST is telling us that many times that old folks are just dated and the important ones are the young ones and the ones that are coming... why kill Snoke so nonchalantly fast and then bring back a guy who was surely dead by all means on ROTJ?

I only saw the ending laugh on the trailer but still quite believe this is real...

The only explanation that makes sense is Abrams never intended for Snoke to die when he did, so when Rian Johnson killed him off he left whoever was picking up Episode IX without a villain. Which is obviously problematic for the final movie of a trilogy, so Abrams brought back Palpatine.