• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

The couple's 12-year-old daughter, a U.S. citizen, is in Phoenix without parents.

Oct 28, 2017
He's being allowed back in according to the Twitter feed but holy crap how was it allowed to come to this?

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Surely they need to send notices like that through Certified Mail.

ICE shouldn't have even refiled the case in the first place.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
...I thought that you gained permanent residency through marriage to a citizen?
it's not automatic, and for people who entered illegally the law makes it a huge pain in the ass to get a green card even after marrying a citizen. Basically afaict you need to go back to a consulate in your home country for processing, and then you'll face a 3-10 year ban on reentry to the US unless the US government grants you a waiver. It should go without saying that the Trump admin isn't too keen on giving out waivers.

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah like skullmuffins said, it's a very complex system. My sisters were able to waive due to being DREAMers and even then they still had to go through extensive filing, fees, and wait times. One of my sisters even had her green card lost for 3 months and the office forgot to tell her until she called in after she felt it was too long. ICE is pretty dog shit cuz they prioritize catching someone and immediately sending them to a center regardless of who exactly they are, whether they were doing something criminal or not, or even checking said person's credentials. You're here illegally they'll take you even if you are a person with a life here and even possibly going through proper proceedings.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
it's not automatic, and for people who entered illegally the law makes it a huge pain in the ass to get a green card even after marrying a citizen. Basically afaict you need to go back to a consulate in your home country for processing, and then you'll face a 3-10 year ban on reentry to the US unless the US government grants you a waiver. It should go without saying that the Trump admin isn't too keen on giving out waivers.

Correct.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Tough time to be here illegally even as a vet. NPR had a spot about a place in tijuana where deported vets met up to try to figure out what ti do Next.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It can but it's not automatic. It allows residency while the marriage is verfied. Then the resident STILL has to apply for residency, employment authorization and eventually citizenship.

And it takes a long time. And if the marriage is proven or even suspected to be for convenience it won't happen. And if the applicant was illegal when the marriage happened, that can be highly problematic. In that sense it's similar to a lot of countries.

Children/Parents have different criteria. This one was kind of shocking even with all the above factored.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
He's being allowed back in according to the Twitter feed but holy crap how was it allows to come to this?
It definitely would not be the first time someone here legally was deported even if all his stuff is in order. Our immigration court system is completely fucked up too and has deported American citizens in the past. Not just far too few judges, but iirc, the normal right to counsel doesn't really apply (for some obviously utterly bullshit reason).

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tough time to be here illegally even as a vet. NPR had a spot about a place in tijuana where deported vets met up to try to figure out what ti do Next.
At least now if you join the military you get fast tracked citizenship, in my experience pretty much all non-citizens that joined the military were citizens by the time boot camp ended.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They deported him despite a stay of removal.

Hold the ICE officials who ordered and carried out the deportation in contempt of court.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
This is the politics of fear. ICE knew that he would be allowed back anyway, they're just trying to send a message and scare the shit out of people

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horrible but here in the UK it's no better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...s-sham-marriage-crackdown-hostile-environment

Genuine couples are being prevented from getting married and are subjected to "insulting" and "gruelling" checks as part of a government crackdown on sham marriages, a Guardian investigation has found.

Couples and lawyers described wedding ceremonies being interrupted so that the Home Office could question people about their sex lives, an official finding a nude picture on a person's phone and showing it to others in the room, and dawn raids carried out to check if couples were sharing a bed.

In one case, a couple were told their relationship could not be genuine because they were wearing pyjamas in bed. In others, people have been detained for months after being wrongly accused of entering into a sham marriage.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Prosecute ICE. Every employee. Nuremburg Round Two. Half of them are Gestapo meatheads and the other half are spineless document signers.

Maybe let the janitors go, idk about them.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
We really don't need ICE. It was founded in the wake of 9/11 and was a bad idea even then. Still pissed at Obama for not getting rid of it.

Oct 25, 2017

I almost made a thread about this the other day, I cannot tell you how angry I got reading that story. Its things like this that make me laugh and have to correct people when they express even a modicum of sympathy for Theresa May, this is all the hostile environment that cold hearted witch was so proud to create. Fuck her and fuck the Tories.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I just assume that ICE is manned by the absolute worst of humanity. Racists, bullies, sadists and so on.

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Fight for your country, die for your country and we will make sure to deport your spouse and orphan your children. Trumps America.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
What in the world is going on? Why can't we just overhaul immigration? Innocent children who were brought over at 1 and raised their entire life are living in fear. Hiding in the shadows. How can they be deported? Such a joke of a policy. What exactly was this infant supposed to do while they were entering the country?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

It blows my mind that someone can serve in the armed forces without being a citizen. Do they not ask for a SIN? Don't they do SOME kind of background check when you enlist?

Oct 25, 2017
Hernandez said he filed a motion to reopen Gonzalez Carranza's deportation case. The motion triggered an automatic stay of removal, but ICE deported him anyway, Hernandez said.

Wang also said it Gonzalez Carranza should not have been deported if there was a stay of removal. She said, however, it is "not uncommon" for ICE to violate stays of removal.

What the fuck? I bet the court summons was purposefully sent to the wrong address as well.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
y7VwgB7_d.jpg