• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just read a story about a 39 year old man from Detroit being sent back to Mexico. He was brought here by his parents when he was 10 and kept getting extended stays for the last several year and has finally heen deported. What I would like to know, from age 10 to 39, why did he not try to get permanent residency or citizenship? Is it very difficult to do so in America?

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
I just read a story about a 39 year old man from Detroit being sent back to Mexico. He was brought here by his parents when he was 10 and kept getting extended stays for the last several year and has finally heen deported. What I would like to know, from age 10 to 39, why did he not try to get permanent residency or citizenship? Is it very difficult to do so in America?

Impossible without leaving as he was already in the states illegally.

Oct 27, 2017

there's no path to residency while considered an 'illegal' immigrant

you have to enter the country with the intent on becoming a citizen, therefore you have to do it legally to have that be an option for you.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So out of dozens of raids that sound like they were very expensive to conduct these fucktards ended up with only 21 arrests?

Defund ice.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This just seems monumentally petty. I mean these people are here, contributing to society and working at freaking 7/11. Deporting them does what good for the country and the local community exactly? Couldn't they use these resources to try and find cartel members engaged in drug or sex trafficking instead?

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Impossible without leaving as he was already in the states illegally.

there's no path to residency while considered an 'illegal' immigrant

you have to enter the country with the intent on becoming a citizen, therefore you have to do it legally to have that be an option for you.
Thanks you two. That really sucks. They should work our a system allowing these folks to apply, get registered and then live legally. Make it a win/win for everyone.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
ICE are a step away from being the American gestapo and it's our duty as American citizens to publicly insult and degrade anyone who works for ICE. If there's any justice, they'll bring those bastards to the Hague.

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, these are working, tax paying people? But are just 'undocumented'?

How can a tax payer be undocumented?

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO

The quick explanation is that the IRS only cares about making sure required taxes are paid - they don't care about the citizenship status of a person, or the legality of income earned (so if you're a hitman or drug dealer, the IRS still wants you to pay tax on that income - see the famous example of Al Capone evading the law but eventually getting busted by the IRS).

So if an undocumented worker uses a fake SSN, or an SSN of someone they know, then their employer submits W4/W2 forms with that SSN, the IRS will notice discrepancies in how the name/SSN don't match, but just shrug it off since their concern is collecting taxes, not enforcing immigration laws.

Undocumented workers get fucked over, since they're paying into Social Security but can't receive SS benefits.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017

Tax laws don't care. You can still get a tax payer Id number, and pay taxes. You are also supposed to report income from illegal activities like embezzling or drug dealing. You can even deduct the expenses of your legal fees for your criminal activities.

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The IRS loves money.

The Social Security number on the W-2 form is made up, Maria tells me, because she doesn't have one. Her employer never asked for identification to verify it, she says. Instead, she has an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), created by the IRS in 1996 so people who aren't allowed to work in the United States could still file taxes on any money they earned. (The IRS does not share ITIN information with immigration authorities.)

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/17/15290950/undocumented-immigrants-file-tax-returns

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the clarification.

Sad situation really. I wonder how many undocumented, tax paying people there are out there, against the number of documented unemployed people?

Are we talking large numbers?

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks you two. That really sucks. They should work our a system allowing these folks to apply, get registered and then live legally. Make it a win/win for everyone.
that's what the 2016 election was about
it would have happened with clinton

a lot of people in this country think differently i guess

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"This happened under Bush and Obama!"

Yes, yes that's it. Keep putting together the pieces young grasshopper. Use that noggin of yours.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I wonder if it will cost more to raise wages enough to attract legal workers versus just hiring more illegals and then getting raided.