• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10224

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine something like this happening in the US lol

"Footage on Tuesday showed Vitaly Zhuravsky, Economic Development party deputy and former adviser to ousted Ukrainian President Yanukovich, being held down by a mob outside parliament. Mr Zhuravsky authored a bill in January severely tightening restrictions on anti-government protesters. "

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
You are correct...

...Why is it that the military wouldn't have an obligation to protect the lives of the protesters in this situation, though? They're Americans.

Governments have always looked at protesters as pests, and threats to their entrenched power and interests. Also, much of the military has been a hotbed for cultural conservatism, which is also less sympathetic toward protesters. Combined with a culture of following directed orders, and I don't see the FL National Guard having any problems going after them.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Heres the cold hard truth:

By and large barely anyone REALLY gives a shit. If you want actual meaningful change in most instances you need to be willing to give up your livelihoods or even lives to acquire them and whats happening on the border isnt directly effecting 99.99% of people living in the US and those that it does tend to be directly targeted by the current policies and are afraid they might signal themselves out.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I believe you're right, I'm just not sure how we get there. I'm willing to ask questions that expose my ignorance on this topic if it means that we can collectively formulate some sort of plan to do... something, anything. But I do genuinely believe that most folks here would help if they knew how to help in a way that isn't conceptually doomed.
It really won't take that many people to simply block off ICE facility like last year

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Occupy Ice PDX was born... and then promptly forgotten about.

Good article though. Maybe some on here who think protests involve saying goodbye to their jobs should give it a read?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Most people (in the USA, dunno elsewhere) will get angry if you point to specific instances of immigration raids with pictures of kids or stories of women and children getting separated. However if you ask them generally "do you think illegal immigrants should get deported" they will honestly answer yes.

So thats basically why you see public apathy. The Trump Administration still really hasn't done much to personally affect most Americans, other than the small insidious things that will take years to really be visible like leaning the supreme court right, further restricting abortion rights, tax cuts for the wealthy, shrinking government departments and budgets, or tweaking Obamacare/FHA/labor/etc laws.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Because the worse he makes things (on immigration), the better it is for him politically
I know his base loves it, but his base is shrinking. And from a re-election perspective, most don't give a shit, especially with a strong job market.

The whole "stealing jerbs" angle is lost.

We actually are having a hard time filling the jobs that immigrants gladly took.

cruz737

Banned
Jun 16, 2019
User banned (permanent): troll account
Oh look, the same thing the last president also lawfully did.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
They don't care. I live in a 'sanctuary city' and when ICE goons came in to do a raid a few months ago, they just they chatted up some nazi suburban and county cops to give them a hand while ignoring the city's PD.

Yeah--I saw that New York will offer legal aid, but residents shouldn't even be detained in the first place. City governments are failing to protect their own jurisdiction.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ICE needs to be abolished. They are completely unnecessary. If immigrants are committing crimes than there are already law enforcement agencies designed to handle investigating and prosecuting those crimes. ICE focuses so much on people whose only crime is entering the country illegally because that's their entire purpose for existing. We don't need a federal law enforcement arm whose sole purpose is to deport people, if immigrants commit crimes they can be deported through the traditional justice system (only after being convicted of said crime in court). ICE has no reason to exist except to terrorizing undocumented immigrants just trying to live their lives.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
So basically only immigrants from liberal cities are going to be removed and they should just stay in the red areas

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I love calling out the complacency of the average American as much as the next person, but this is an overly simplistic view.

Besides the point that most major cities in the US stage several dozen protests over various issues a week (Philly just had a pretty major one), keep in mind that the US has a population of about 350 million people spread out across the 4th largest country on the planet. Major, synchronized protests like the Women's March or March for Our Lives take months of planning and coordination between states and cities so spread apart that if we were trying to compare to Europe you'd practically be talking about different countries.

But again, if you live in a decent-sized city, chances are there are a number of advocate groups planning demonstrations and wanting to see the kind of participation you're dreaming about. Go join one. Honestly.

I work in downtown Philly, and there's a protest big enough to shut down several streets whenever Trump or a notable Republican comes to town. There's a weekly protest outside of Senator Pat Toomey's Philadelphia office that's been happening for years.

Have these protests actually changed anything though, specifically in the long term?

So basically only immigrants from liberal cities are going to be removed and they should just stay in the red areas

I bet a lot of people for deportation believe the immigrants they are know are The Good Ones. One the other hand, those they don't know are "part of the problem".

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have these protests actually changed anything though, specifically in the long term?

I bet a lot of people for deportation believe the immigrants they are know are The Good Ones. One the other hand, those they don't know are "part of the problem".
There are no 'good ones' when all immigrants are being targeted for the same crime (entering the country illegally). It's mind-bogglingly stupid mindset, but you are right that it's incredibly common. There is a great This American Life titled "Left Behind" that delves into the ramifications of deportations on a small rural town and the mental gymnastics the white residents are performing to justify support of Trump and rationalize that with the abject horror they feel towards what happened to their community.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ICE & CBP - radicalized, criminal agencies - are destroying families & killing innocent children. It is absolutely unconscionable to even consider giving one more dollar to support agencies that openly commit human rights abuses.
While I agree with her, I'm not sure she really intended to argue that paying your taxes under this government is immoral.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
ICE needs to be abolished. They are completely unnecessary. If immigrants are committing crimes than there are already law enforcement agencies designed to handle investigating and prosecuting those crimes. ICE focuses so much on people whose only crime is entering the country illegally because that's their entire purpose for existing. We don't need a federal law enforcement arm whose sole purpose is to deport people, if immigrants commit crimes they can be deported through the traditional justice system (only after being convicted of said crime in court). ICE has no reason to exist except to terrorizing undocumented immigrants just trying to live their lives.

Does this include the crime of illegally entering?

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

I imagine there was enough pushback from DHS, the cities, civil-rights organizations, etc., that they realized the raids would be unpopular, difficult, and expensive, but since he can't admit he was wrong, he wants to make himself look magnanimous by giving those dumb Democrats two more weeks.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever day he decides to do it, 100% will be helping blocking whatever ICE center in NY by me.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I want to propose something radical.

Dual-nationality border cities where asylum seekers and refugees can be house and lived while they're processed. No "patrols" except scouts to direct refugees to where they can find support and community.

Thats real dumb. That is going to be a nightmare of administration and who and how shit are runs and who has jurisdiction. Its a Law Enforcement nightmare.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Who was the person that predicted this would be just like the Iran thing and he would pull back at the last minute?

Collect your epoints

I cannot wait until this nightmare is over

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
This is also a pretty funny tweet. Not sure if posted
kleop51q1x531.jpg

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
This would have cost millions if not billions and a logistics/law nightmare and there where zero signs that any preparations where under way for it so yeah just more red meat bullshit heading into 2020.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be happening more and more. Trump is going to annoucne all kinds of crazy shit that is just red meat for his base that he'll never actually go after. In reality he's been doing that since he got into office (the opiode crisis anyone?) but its just become far more bluntly apparent what he's doing because the stunts are getting insanely audacious and dangerous.