• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
0c1.gif

I know some are still wondering what the fractured mode is, so I thought it would be worth to make a thread just for this.

Update: An earlier version of this story mentioned a "Fractured Mode" and two graphics settings for Demon's Souls, but a Sony Interactive Entertainment spokesperson said those details are outdated and inaccurate. This story has been updated to remove that language.

From Polygon.

Two graphics modes :

Stunning visuals: See the dark, gritty world of Demon's Souls come to life on the PS5 console with beautifully enhanced visuals. Players can choose between two graphics modes while playing Demon's Souls: 4K Mode (play in 4K resolution) and High Frame Rate Mode (play with a higher targeted frame rate.)

From PlayStation.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised since they quickly removed the mention of it and never talked about it.

almutama

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat of a shame. Would've appreciated a remixed mode, but I suppose the launch day release date is too much of a constraint. Maybe they can add it in the future?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? When did this update happen? This is the first I'm hearing about it. I was under the impression Fractured mode is still a thing

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
I still can't understand if this was referred to performances or actual gameplay changes.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If fractured mode included new enemies / placements and some remixes, I fully expect them to sell it as DLC in six months.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
My theory:

Fractured mode was the normal game without the World Tendency stuff and remixed enemy locations, but they don't have time for it anymore since it will be a launch title now.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They probably realised it was a dumb name that would have just confused people and changed it to a simple 'Performance Mode' name that makes it easy to understand.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Unless I skimmed too fast, nowhere does it say it was removed or is no longer planned?

Information being outdated can mean many things, this is a sure way to start unnecessary worry and there is already enough of that going around.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can definitely see it being something they dropped to get the game out for launch.

I'm interested in seeing DF's comparison of the graphics modes post release also. If the only difference is resolution/framerate it'll be interesting to see how different they actually look.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Outdated could also mean they've changed the name and it's no longer called Fractured Mode. But we'll know closer to launch surely lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My guess is whatever Fractured mode was, or something similar, will be announced a few months down the track as a free update. Not necessarily an expectation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Seems like every high profile Sony release receives some kind of major post release support drop lately.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd have preferred a 30fps mode with better visuals, RT etc instead, but I'll take it.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The site itself still says there are two kind of game modes: 4k and HFR... we just have no idea what the other mode was supposed to be.

OP
OP
SoulsHunt

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
But isn't the whole point of the OP that there are no longer two modes, only one? And there's a lot more you can do for better visuals than just upping resolution.
I literally wrote "two graphics mode" unless you didn't see the edit. Thread is all about Fractured Mode but I still precise that two modes are available, in case there is confusions.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I've read through this entire thread and am still confused if Fractured Mode is a gameplay thing or graphics settings.

I'm leaning toward gameplay thing.

Edit: See post above!

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. I hope they support the game post-launch.

I also hope World Tendendy is no longer a thing.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
They might add it down the line. It's a launch game and if a feature isn't ready, they won't risk bugs and won't ship it. But surely the graphical modes are there.

I'm confident that this game will be supported properly for a good while.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Of course we have no idea what Fractured Mode was but given the name, I really doubt it was a graphics mode. I was thinking it was a remix similar to Scholar of the First Sin.