• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

We're excited to announce that we've deployed official dedicated servers for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Though the community has hosted – and continues to host – servers with a variety of mods and custom maps that we highly recommend, we also understand that many players are looking for a more nostalgic experience.

So, starting now, you'll be able to find official servers running the vanilla Enemy Territory Campaign ruleset, with all six original maps and no mods! We've set up servers across multiple territories to better ensure players from around the world can play with relatively low ping.

Here are the specific notes regarding this update:

• Official servers will be named: "id Software Official Vanilla Server – (Region)"
  • Four official servers deployed.
  • One official server per region.
  • Regions supported include:
  • US: Texas
  • EU: Netherlands
  • AU: Canberra
  • UK: London
  • All official servers run the "Campaign" game mode by default. Official servers maintain the following settings:
  • Server MOTD: Official & Vanilla Servers hosted by id Software. Enjoy! These servers are unmoderated. For issues, help.bethesda.net
  • Game Type: Campaign
  • Maximum Players: 16 (8v8)
  • Friendly Fire: Yes
  • Punkbuster: No
  • Anti-Lag: Yes
  • Max Lives: Off
  • Weapon Restriction: Off
We're also pleased to announce the game's release on the Microsoft Store, complete with dedicated server support as well. So, if you're a vet looking to relive launch day or a newcomer curious what the fuss is all about, it's a good day to venture into Enemy Territory.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is really cool to see. Especially when so many companies would rather just wipe their hands clean of hosting any servers for titles older than 10 years old.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
While other companies are busy shutting down their multiplayer servers after a year of service, here's id turning official servers back on almost two decades after release.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Great news. Hopefuly this brings more players. I was lucky to find a server with the right mods and other spanish speaking players where we play almost every night, for an hour or so (we are all old lol) but would like to find more servers.

OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Azure costs for hosting a single 16 person server at this complexity is probably like pennies on the hour haha

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
That's pretty cool. I still keep ET installed to hop on servers every once in a while. ET was the first game I decided to play multiplayer on pretty late into my gaming life.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Great news. Hopefuly this brings more players. I was lucky to find a server with the right mods and other spanish speaking players where we play almost every night, for an hour or so (we are all old lol) but would like to find more servers.

Around 16... omg 16 years ago, maybe even 18 years ago I used to play on this one community server and I played this game for like 6-7 hours a god damned day. I loved this game so much.

I always loved that map where you had to steal base building boxes from your opponents base, bring them back and build your walls and stuff.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Oh so this comes with a new release 🤔 makes all kinds of sense. Nice to see that they had the chance for this.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Wolf3 is going back to the Return to Castle Wolfenstein roots and they are just trying to give us a heads-up

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet. Custom servers are such a minefield in terms what mods they run so it's nice to have the option to play vanilla ET again.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
When this came out I had a shitty Celeron computer and a 23.3 and while it barely worked it still worked. Had some laggy battles but fun.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I've never actually played this. Does the version on steam run good in widescreen/4K without messing around with dgvoodoo and stuff? I seem to recall that RTCW isn't widescreen without fiddling.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Memories

400px-WET-Flame-2.jpg

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any other company that pays so much respect to their legacy as id?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
That's really interesting. I'd have figured Xbox didn't have any interest in their inherited old PC games catalog beyond just shoving them into Gamepass.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh my god am i gonna get back into ET? i used to play the game everyday. wonder if some of my old clans are still up. i remember getting banned from my fav server one time because i was too good as a sniper.

Capsigrany

Nov 21, 2019
Wow, now that's a blast from the past! Really cool, I might give it a try to see how it holds up nowadays.

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
Used to kill people with undeployed MG42, then spam, "ALLO ALLO HELLO HI WUNDERBAR!"

Also killed people in the tunnels leading to the final two AA guns on Siwa Oasis with a deployed mortar. God I loved this game. The last online FPS I cared about.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this ever had official servers back in the day. Really cool of them though, modded Wolf:ET is definitely a very different experience and the vanilla game is still amazing.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
What about vanilla RTCW MP lol? ET was good, but original RTCW MP will always be up there as one of the best.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
So many fond memories of TFC-esque stalemates due to teams being so equally balanced, and victories/defeats usually taking place in the final seconds of the match.

Gotta get this going asap. EDIT: Damn, looks like Punkbuster causes it to crash on Steamdeck. Wonder if there's enough interest in the game for them to make a SD build.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Is there anyway to have the 2D elements keep their aspect ratio when switching to wide screen? In some moded servers this happens automatically, but not on the vainilla id software servers.