• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
So this is what living in the suburbs is like huh? Ive been here 8 maybe 9 weeks. Grass growing like a mother, all manner of flying insects. No papi stores or Chinese Store that sell Cheese Curls and Toilet paper and now this!

Im pretty handy and there is YouTube but am I bitting off more than I can chew? Im used to the city moving fallen trees but now its all on me. Plus we just had a newborn it would be nice to chill with hom on my lap and make Mario levels all weekend long.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or you can leave it for the weekend and deal with it later. It's not like it's going anywhere.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Just hire a tree service to come take it out. Even if you cut it up, what are you going to do with it?

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
hire someone or get some friends together and kill it in a few hours.

we had a tree fall in our backyard a few years ago, albeit a bit smaller than that one. I dumped most of the smaller branches in the yard waste and lucked out - the park near our house had a downed tree so while the city was taking care of that, i drove by one night and dumped our larger trunk pieces next to theirs haha

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Just hire a service to pick it up. Shouldn't cost that much since they just need to log it and grind it. Few hundred I'd guess?

That's going to be a PITA to dispose of otherwise.

Alternatively, rent a chainsaw and a large trash container big enough for the tree.That'll still cost you a fair bit though.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pay someone or get an axe and chop that thing down. Takes max 2 hours. And mow your lawn, you heathen :P

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Time is worth money, especially when you have a newborn. Pay someone to do it, you will not have a problem finding tree services to give you competing quotes

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Just hire a tree service to come take it out. Even if you cut it up, what are you going to do with it?

I built a fire pit and i have a fireplace, although I'm not sure if this is the right kind of wood for the house. I can put it to good use (I think)

Pay someone or get an axe and chop that thing down. Takes max 2 hours. And mow your lawn, you heathen :P

I just cut the grass like 10 days ago but wife went into labor on the 4th of July and I missed it last weekend. This shit grows like a motherfuck!!

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
I built a fire pit and i have a fireplace, although I'm not sure if this is the right kind of wood for the house. I can put it to good use (I think)

I just cut the grass like 10 days ago but wife went into labor on the 4th of July and I missed it last weekend. This shit grows like a motherfuck!!

The only issue regarding saving your tree for your fire pit is that you should season the wood by letting it dry out before you burn it. Also, your grass looks fine, unless you're running a golf course.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I know. I have to do it every 2 weeks. But enjoy the green. It's more quiet than living in a city. It's good ;D

I do like the quiet. My old block was turned up all day in the summer and with the new baby and new job I would have had a way harder time this summer. ( and 2 people just got shot on my old block on Tuesday)

The only issue regarding saving your tree for your fire pit is that you should season the wood by letting it dry out before you burn it. Also, your grass looks fine, unless you're running a golf course.

When I closed in April we already had a summons on the door from the county saying cut the grass. Not being from the county and being new in the neighborhood, I didnt want that smoke so I went out a bought a bunch of lawn care items. The previous owner had this shit looking like Amen Corner at Augsta National.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
It's not blocking your driveway so just call a tree service when you have time. Chainsawing a tree is fun though, if you have somewhere to dump the pieces. It will cost less to buy a chainsaw than to have someone come out and deal with it.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe it's just the quality of the wood from the tree that fell in out backyard, and that I'm not in the best shape - but given my experience just hacking off some limbs from a downed tree, using axe to chop that thing down would take WAAAAAY more than 2 hours - to say nothing of just being physically exhausted while doing it.

Even using a chanisaw could be a pain in the ass - Given the angle of how that tree has falling. It'll pinch the blade if you cut it from the base, and the rest of it is fairly well elevated.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
When that happens in my suburb every neighbor in a 2 block radius shows up with chainsaws and pickup trucks. That tree would be gone within 2 hours tops. We all leap at the opportunity to help one another out around here.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
"If a tree falls in my yard and there is no one there to cut it, has my weekend just become a whole lot more awesome?"

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Check your city regulations. If you don't remove things in a timely way, some cities do it on your behalf and bill you later.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly just want to hire someone to take care of it. I don't have the tools to take care of it. Although there are other photos in that link that I'd like to discuss.

Oct 27, 2017
Get a chainsaw and go to town, it's fun and satisfying when you're done. The hard part is getting rid of the wood, most trash companies won't take it in my experience. You could pile it in the corner of the yard and put some out every week for the trash guys

Oct 25, 2017
Where you live, OP? Out here in Texas literally the same day as I had a tree fall over there were dudes at my door asking if they could take care of it for me (for a fee of course).
I think they get tipped off by the lawn guys or are just there whenever a big storm hits

But yes, that's a lot of damn work even with a chainsaw, especially for someone with a new baby

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
As above, chainsaw + chaps + gloves + helmet/ear protection, shouldn't take too long. Assuming you're already familiar with/certified to use a chainsaw. Of course, if the diameter is large enough you're going to want to split the wood too, so you'll need a hydraulic splitter or a good axe or maul and splitting wedge.

I just picked up a new Stihl MS 362 and a 20" ES light bar. It's... so much fun compared to my old MS 250.

Other question of course is property lines. I assume you're sure this tree was rooted on your property, and had only fallen onto your property? Lots of weird rules around trees with property boundaries.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just the quality of the wood from the tree that fell in out backyard, and that I'm not in the best shape - but given my experience just hacking off some limbs from a downed tree using axe to chop that thing down would take WAAAAAY more than 2 hours - to say nothing of just being physically exhausted while doing it.
Hmm, maybe. I don't know. I'm used to it. Did it a few times already (at my garden, my friends garden, etc.). But yeah, it is exhausting :D But kinda fun imo.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This shit happened to me EXACTLY this time last year, OP. My wife and I had a baby and a tree that size came down in my yard.

I rented a chain saw from a local machine rental place (~$40/day) and cut it down over the course of one day, stacked the wood in an area of my yard and then waited for the fall when I used a wood splitter/maul to split that shit up. Splitting wood is an amazing exercise that makes you feel so manly that your wife will literally have another one of your babies by the end of the day... The gestational period for women in relationships with men who are splitting wood is accellerated from 9 months to about 24 hours.

Only good thing is my tree was mostly dead which made it a little easier.

I'd recommend waiting between cutting and splitting because you want the wood to die and dry out, or else it'll never split. Splitting wood is one of the most satisfying things on this earth.

It would take significantly longer than 2 hours. It will take ~4 hours to cut that down to size with a gas chain saw, probably longer for someone who is not adept with a chain saw and doesn't have experience cutting branches.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
9jIFNQhDviOLZUj9zv3e8K0tOJg=.gif

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I had the city cut down a tree and cut it into small sizes for me. I still had to load it in their truck to save some money.

Oct 27, 2017
In Floriduh, this would be a private nuisance case, and you could sue for the cost of removal and any damage to your property.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
When I closed in April we already had a summons on the door from the county saying cut the grass. Not being from the county and being new in the neighborhood, I didnt want that smoke so I went out a bought a bunch of lawn care items. The previous owner had this shit looking like Amen Corner at Augsta National.
I've gotta ask a question about lawns in here. As someone who's only ever lived in apartments, lawn maintenance confuses the hell out of me.

are there pest concerns with long grass? Or do people just get really really enraged by anything other than ultra-short grass?
because i just can't imagine ever giving a single damn about how long my neighbors' grass is and it blows my mind that so many people do that there can be laws about it. unless there's some kinda secret "you're gonna make the tick population of the neighborhood" concern going on, it seems such a weird and pointless thing for neighbors to get worked up about.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your Headin for trouble trying to do that alone Tony. That tree is going to be heavy as shit to move even cut up. When my folks moved into their current house years ago we chopped down both tress in the backyard and that sucked so hard. Find a small tree trimming service and have them take care of it for you. Focus your energy on your wife and newborn.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotta ask a question about lawns in here. As someone who's only ever lived in apartments, lawn maintenance confuses the hell out of me.

are there pest concerns with long grass? Or do people just get really really enraged by anything other than ultra-short grass?
because i just can't imagine ever giving a single damn about how long my neighbors' grass is and it blows my mind that so many people do that there can be laws about it. unless there's some kinda secret "you're gonna make the tick population of the neighborhood" concern going on, it seems such a weird and pointless thing for neighbors to get worked up about.
Super tall grass can have snakes living in them. Plus they think it can devalue the property.

OP if you're going to cut the tree up yourself. You really should invest in a wheelbarrow. Your body will thank you later.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I'd honestly just want to hire someone to take care of it. I don't have the tools to take care of it. Although there are other photos in that link that I'd like to discuss.

Was it my Archie Bunker Television Universe post it board? The speakeasy bar in the Uhaul Truck?
Fire away bro! #Nosecrets

As above, chainsaw + chaps + gloves + helmet/ear protection, shouldn't take too long. Assuming you're already familiar with/certified to use a chainsaw. Of course, if the diameter is large enough you're going to want to split the wood too, so you'll need a hydraulic splitter or a good axe or maul and splitting wedge.

I just picked up a new Stihl MS 362 and a 20" ES light bar. It's... so much fun compared to my old MS 250.

Other question of course is property lines. I assume you're sure this tree was rooted on your property, and had only fallen onto your property? Lots of weird rules around trees with property boundaries.

100% my yard.

Just deal with it. You must be a millennial.

You have offended me sir, pistols at 10 pages!

This shit happened to me EXACTLY this time last year, OP. My wife and I had a baby and a tree that size came down in my yard.

I rented a chain saw from a local machine rental place (~$40/day) and cut it down over the course of one day, stacked the wood in an area of my yard and then waited for the fall when I used a wood splitter/maul to split that shit up. Splitting wood is an amazing exercise that makes you feel so manly that your wife will literally have another one of your babies by the end of the day... The gestational period for women in relationships with men who are splitting wood is accellerated from 9 months to about 24 hours.

Only good thing is my tree was mostly dead which made it a little easier.

I'd recommend waiting between cutting and splitting because you want the wood to die and dry out, or else it'll never split. Splitting wood is one of the most satisfying things on this earth.

In my head im looking like Cap in Avengers 2. This is now the plan.

I grew up in North Philly. I got no clue about this lawn care stuff. I cut the grass 3 times in my life. Ive only been in this place for almost 2 months.

Your Headin for trouble trying to do that alone Tony. That tree is going to be heavy as shit to move even cut up. When my folks moved into their current house years ago we chopped down both tress in the backyard and that sucked so hard. Find a small tree trimming service and have them take care of it for you. Focus your energy on your wife and newborn.

I see what you did there. I called a service and im waiting on a quote HOWEVER, I have 2 strapping sons who I know are itching to get out there at the crack of dawn and cut up a tree.

Tony Headin has been my online fake name since AOL Keyword: Superbowl

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Was it my Archie Bunker Television Universe post it board? The speakeasy bar in the Uhaul Truck?
Fire away bro! #Nosecrets
The TV universe did catch my eye lol. Did you map out connections in a multitude of episodes yourself? Is it from cross over characters or just assuming from actors? Did you mark episodes specifically?

Also, the cuts of meat look great. How'd they turn out? Any finished photos?

And I didn't know that you had a Uhaul as a bar. I thought that was a basement actually. Haha, whats the story behind that? Just wanted a bar you could drive to people?

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
just buck it up, what's the issue here?

cut close to the base to get it on the ground first, then limb all the branches off and finally buck it all up into movable pieces. put a sign up that says "free fire wood" and it will be gone by the end of the day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
The TV universe did catch my eye lol. Did you map out connections in a multitude of episodes yourself? Is it from cross over characters or just assuming from actors? Did you mark episodes specifically?

Also, the cuts of meat look great. How'd they turn out? Any finished photos?

And I didn't know that you had a Uhaul as a bar. I thought that was a basement actually. Haha, whats the story behind that? Just wanted a bar you could drive to people?

As a kid, after I found out Good Times was a spin-off of All in the Family I thought they EVERY TV SHOW was somehow connected to Archie Bunker. That board is the byproduct of that theory. Its stupid but the deepest lore.

Meat was great but no finished product pics.

The Uhaul Bar.....that is a post for another thread. (Short ver)
Was building a Recording studio that morphed into a speaker.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid, after I found out Good Times was a spin-off of All in the Family I thought they EVERY TV SHOW was somehow connected to Archie Bunker. That board is the byproduct of that theory. Its stupid but the deepest lore.

Meat was great but no finished product pics.

The Uhaul Bar.....that is a post for another thread. (Short ver)
Was building a Recording studio that morphed into a speaker.
Ah cool. And I like that you have it mapped out with post its haha

Yeah, you definitely need to post that thread sometime on how you went from mobile recording studio to speak easy. That sounds like an interesting story

Oct 27, 2017

I think it depends. If you live on a gigantic piece of property, I dont think it would matter much since you'd have so much natural property, but if you're living in a normal suburb closer together and most people take care of their lawns, and then you got the one guy that doesnt do anything, it just looks like shit. Its an eyesore basically. If you're gonna own some property, at least take pride in it and take care of it(unless you genuinely have a reason that you cant).

Oct 27, 2017
Cutting a tree is so much fun! Get a friend or two, some beer and let the chainsaw work begin :)
If possible make a small bonfire in the evening, invite some more people, family, neighbours. Have a nice social evening and enjoy the awesome feeling of being tired from physical exercise.

This is great, DIY.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any of the tools I'd need to take care of it, but it's the kind of sudden surprise project that would charge me up tbh, especially if the weather is nice.

I can get wanting to be inside with the new baby and Mario Maker 2 though as well. Probably shouldn't put the baby in the carrier while using a chainsaw, or I'd suggest doing that while letting mom have a nap...

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Some communities/towns/etc are anal about that and actually pester home owners to keep up with their lawn care.

The biggest real concern is property values or perceived property values for neighbors. Poorly kept yards look like shit, and gives the perception of an unkept property, and it's just being a good neighbor to mow it once every couple weeks or once a month, trim your bushes, etc. There's other problems to like having vegetation around your house that is poorly kept leads to more insects and prevents your house from drying out after storms, trash collects in long grass, etc., but the majority of problems are from it just looking like a blight.

I always let my grass get super long in the spring, not cutting it the first time until ~May or early June sometimes, and I know I'm getting some sideways looks from neighbors, but then I keep it in good order for the rest of the spring/summer/fall.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
The biggest problem is that the tree isn't yours, so I would check and inform authorities before doing anything.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I always let my grass get super long in the spring, not cutting it the first time until ~May or early June sometimes, and I know I'm getting some sideways looks from neighbors, but then I keep it in good order for the rest of the spring/summer/fall.
If you've got a beautiful fescue lawn like I have you want it to grow out, gives it this lovely undulating arboreal look. My cut height is just north of 4" because of this.