• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If you've got a beautiful fescue lawn like I have you want it to grow out, gives it this lovely undulating arboreal look. My cut height is just north of 4" because of this.

My lawn is kinda shit, but I grow it long too.. I have my mower set to 4", the highest it goes, but I do it because I refuse to water my lawn and so letting it grow longer protects the soil beneath it more and it dries out less.

The OP sounded that a tree falled into your yard.

OP is a reference to the old ... philosophical quandry that's become a common saying/meme "If a tree falls in the woods..."

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotta ask a question about lawns in here. As someone who's only ever lived in apartments, lawn maintenance confuses the hell out of me.

are there pest concerns with long grass? Or do people just get really really enraged by anything other than ultra-short grass?
because i just can't imagine ever giving a single damn about how long my neighbors' grass is and it blows my mind that so many people do that there can be laws about it. unless there's some kinda secret "you're gonna make the tick population of the neighborhood" concern going on, it seems such a weird and pointless thing for neighbors to get worked up about.
Biggest problem around here is field mice. Gather in tall grass then chew into houses looking for food.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll reiterate what everyone else said about chainsaws being fun but to be safe about it. Get the right equipment to protect yourself and research the common amateur mistakes to avoid.

I am not a professional, I just used a chainsaw for a couple weekends when I was 13.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a rental place near by? Ax will take awhile, chainsaw would take you like 20 minutes to buck that tree up.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
In an interesting twist, I was told to contact my home owners insurance and tell them I removed a felled tree.i might get a couple of bucks for it.