• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm sorry if I came over as condensending, but all those TLJ and sequel trilogy discussions have made me kind of sensitive to this argument. I don't feel like it's a compelling one, as, as I argued, the other alternative would lead to a non-story. You can't tell a story without conflict. The trick is to come up with new, compelling conflicts and use what came before as a jump of point. Any conflict will in a way 'undo' a happy ending, as happy endings kind of imply a state of absolute happiness and 'everything is okay'. It's just a sentiment I can't get behind. It's inherent to a sequel that it will fuck up the all-is-perfect status quo the original happy ending left behind. Because, and that's what I ment with 'basic storytelling' you need this to be able to tell a story.

I feel the new Star Wars trilogy, by choosing new main character's and giving the old heroes new conflicts to overcome (I'm mostly talking about Luke, as TFA doesn't do this as well as TLJ. And yes, Luke fails and runs away from it all. He went trough an arc in the OT, and then made new mistakes. It doesn't revert his previous succes. He is still the man that redeemed his father. But in trying to restore the Jedi Order he made mistakes, and reacts to it in the wrong way by giving up, and than learns that he was wrong. It's a new arc, that imo doesn't revert his previous one at all.)

It's also an argument that mostly looks at the external conflict, which at best is the most superfluous and least important one in a story. Yes, the Galaxy is at war again and there is an Empire 2.0 but what the character's have learned along the way has not really changed. (And what would the alternative be? It's Star Wars. You kind of need a War of some sorts. if it wasn't an Empire-esque FO, it would've been another fatcion threatening peace. Again, the rise of the FO and the backstory could've been handled a bit better, but it was kind of expected that peace wouldn't last in the New Republic if you want to make a sequel, right?)

I don't think it's realistic to expect to have a happy ending ànd a sequel that completely keeps that ending in place. It's seems to me your problem is not with the storytelling, but with the concept of sequels and franchising. (And that's perfectly fine.)

In my opinion you have two kind of sequels:

- the bad and not so good ones: completely disregard what the main character learned in the previous movie, and repeats the same conflict and arc again. An example of a sequel I actually kind of like, but did not enjoy as much as the original: In How to Train Your Dragon Hiccup struggles with being different and not being able to live up to expectations. In the sequel that is kind of repeated. Again he is afraid not being able to live up to expectations (becoming chief). The writer's failed to give him a new arc. Your Luther example seems to be a great one too (haven't seen that series)
-The good ones find new arcs for the main characters, without reverting the arcs of the previous movie. Imo the ST of Star Wars mostly fits that bill. I hope IX can confirm this.

To close things of: you did not give an example of a sequel who did it right in your opinion. Can you name me one story with a happy ending, ànd a straight sequel that didn't at least revert some stuff from that happy ending?

I agree with you that some degree of 'unhappiness' is necessary for a sequel to happen, but what my issue is and where I think you're misunderstanding me is that I believe that you can make a sequel that doesn't completely undo the progress made before. Star Wars does completely undo the progress made before because, as I said in the OP, literally every single thing that the final shot of Return of the Jedi represents is either undone or diminished by the time The Last Jedi ends. I do not get the sense that anything that was learnt or achieved in the Original Trilogy has any bearing on the characters in the Sequel Trilogy; Luke's arc is perhaps the closest to this not being the case but, outside of that, they might as well be fighting the same battles they did 30 years prior.

As for your point about "there needing to be a war", that's simply a matter of writing that failed to create a unique new scenario. The Prequels, despite their shittiness, managed to create the titular "Star Wars" whilst avoiding the same "Empire Vs. Rebels" dichotomy that the Original Trilogy was about. The Sequels have not and likely will not, The First Order is pretty much just The Empire 2.0 and The Resistance is just a synonym for The Rebellion in practically every single way. Again, my issue isn't that there is conflict, but that the conflict there is doesn't take into account what happened before. As for potential alternatives; The First Order being a terrorist-like organisation that uses guerilla tactics to try and undermine the New Republic would have been an amazing conflict and one that doesn't completely disregard what had come before. It would have made Luke's abandonment of his friends and family more reasonable (because right now he stood by and did nothing as billions of people ended up dead), it would have allowed Leia to keep the New Republic, it would have provided much-needed unique lore to the SW universe (instead of just 'not-Tatooine' and 'not-Hoth') and it would have allowed at least some of the characters to get out with a decently happy ending.

For an example of a 'sequel to something with a happy ending that keeps the happy intact' (because, again, I don't expect everything to be intact, that's a misreading of my argument), look to Shrek 2. Yes, the meme film. Shrek 1 had Shrek and Fiona battling with how they view themselves and the fact that they are Ogres; by the end of the film both characters have grown to a place where they're comfortable with who they are as people. Shrek 2, then, has the two characters (mainly Shrek) facing the issues that come with how society views them, and the main conflict comes from whether the two characters can overcome that. In more superficial terms it also has a new villain and a mostly new cast. Essentially it's a sequel that would not have been possible if the previous film's character progress hadn't have happened. The characters from the end of Shrek 1 face a new conflict and not the characters from the start of Shrek 1.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least Lord of the Rings ended conclusively and happily.

That's probably why the Tolkiens are so adamantly against sequels. Tolkien himself made it a happy ending and even went into great detail about how all their hard work and suffering paid off and there were centuries of peace.

I don't think anyone would've been complaining if The Force Awakens was set hundreds of years after Return of the Jedi, as an example.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most blatant form of this for me was Once Upon a Time. By the end of that 6th season, virtually everything was completely fine. Then they straight up tacked on the most non-sequitur next season plot in the world by attempting to effectively reboot the show.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
There is really two parts to this. There are franchises like The Walking Dead where it would be very unrealistic to end someone's part with a happy ending without ending the show, and there are franchises like Star Wars where this is a completely self-inflicted wound. Could have easily set this anywhere else in the timeline and you'd still have that happy ending. They didn't need to go back to the time of Luke and the others.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I don't think anyone would've been complaining if The Force Awakens was set hundreds of years after Return of the Jedi, as an example.

I agree with you. It has been over 20 years since fans saw Luke. Leia and Hans. Whatever material Disney could come up with wasn't going to live up with the ideas that fans had for those characters in their heads.

Although, there is also the slight worry that any Star Wars story set a few hundred years in the future is going to have a Skywalker on every corner of the galaxy.

Its fine now to say Han and Leia only had one kid and Luke none but I wouldn't trust Disney to keep the Skywalker tree small if they originally just jumped into the future.

Ehh, they could just Targaryen the entire thing if they did a future jump and say that the Skywalkers were a powerful family that helped to bring order to the galaxy for centuries but most of the surviving Skywalkers were killed off in the preceding fifty years leaving "X" as the last surviving member of the family

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you that some degree of 'unhappiness' is necessary for a sequel to happen, but what my issue is and where I think you're misunderstanding me is that I believe that you can make a sequel that doesn't completely undo the progress made before. Star Wars does completely undo the progress made before because, as I said in the OP, literally every single thing that the final shot of Return of the Jedi represents is either undone or diminished by the time The Last Jedi ends. I do not get the sense that anything that was learnt or achieved in the Original Trilogy has any bearing on the characters in the Sequel Trilogy; Luke's arc is perhaps the closest to this not being the case but, outside of that, they might as well be fighting the same battles they did 30 years prior.

As for your point about "there needing to be a war", that's simply a matter of writing that failed to create a unique new scenario. The Prequels, despite their shittiness, managed to create the titular "Star Wars" whilst avoiding the same "Empire Vs. Rebels" dichotomy that the Original Trilogy was about. The Sequels have not and likely will not, The First Order is pretty much just The Empire 2.0 and The Resistance is just a synonym for The Rebellion in practically every single way. Again, my issue isn't that there is conflict, but that the conflict there is doesn't take into account what happened before. As for potential alternatives; The First Order being a terrorist-like organisation that uses guerilla tactics to try and undermine the New Republic would have been an amazing conflict and one that doesn't completely disregard what had come before. It would have made Luke's abandonment of his friends and family more reasonable (because right now he stood by and did nothing as billions of people ended up dead), it would have allowed Leia to keep the New Republic, it would have provided much-needed unique lore to the SW universe (instead of just 'not-Tatooine' and 'not-Hoth') and it would have allowed at least some of the characters to get out with a decently happy ending.

For an example of a 'sequel to something with a happy ending that keeps the happy intact' (because, again, I don't expect everything to be intact, that's a misreading of my argument), look to Shrek 2. Yes, the meme film. Shrek 1 had Shrek and Fiona battling with how they view themselves and the fact that they are Ogres; by the end of the film both characters have grown to a place where they're comfortable with who they are as people. Shrek 2, then, has the two characters (mainly Shrek) facing the issues that come with how society views them, and the main conflict comes from whether the two characters can overcome that. In more superficial terms it also has a new villain and a mostly new cast. Essentially it's a sequel that would not have been possible if the previous film's character progress hadn't have happened. The characters from the end of Shrek 1 face a new conflict and not the characters from the start of Shrek 1.

Yeah, I might have interpreted some of your arguments wrongly. Sorry for that.

I still don't agree on Star Wars though (and I found your points in the OP mostly focussing on external conflict, not on internal conflict and arcs). For one because these new stories are about new character's, and the old, when they have an arc, mostly fight new battles. Been a while since I saw TFA, but for instance iirc Han has returned to smuggling and ran from his responsibilities again, but it's on a new and more personal level. It's him not being able to cope with his son going over to the dark side, and his marriage breaking because of it. When Leia asks him to save Ben, he is not reluctant to do so, but takes this responsability. This does not revert the ending shot of RoTJ imo. New challenges arose between ROTJ and TFA and the character revealed himself in his reaction to this. It's new conflict that does not disregard what came before, but continues on it. The problem is maybe that, because of the big time jump most of it is backstory. We didn't see the conflicts leading to Solo being a smuggler again. But I don't take issue with that, because he is even more a supporting character now than he was in the OT.

Luke is even a better example. He ends RotJ as the new and only Jedi, ready to reinstate the order. His arc in TLJ is a direct continuation of that. He failed in this task, and revealed character in his reaction to it. And in TLJ he rectifies his mistakes, completing a new arc. It's in some way what Shrek does, creating a new conflict from the end point of the previous story.

I do agree the FO and Resistance is maybe too much of a rehash of Empire/rebellion, and that other 'wars' could have been invented (though I don't think it's illogical the remnants of the Empire survived and build up strength. I also like the idea of a Resistance as a proxy-army, but it's just not well enough established and set-up in TFA. I would've loved to see more politics of the New Republic too, but I think Lucasfilm was very wary of shoehorning politics in after the PT. My main gripes with the ST is also that it reuses a bit to many ideas of the originals.). But that's a whole other issue. That's not an issue of reverting a happy ending, because every war would've reverted the peace at the end of RotJ. Your terrorism-idea is tentalizing, but it would've been kind of a lower stakes-game after a galaxy-spanning war. It's logical to choose a new, all-out war. (Also, Luke didn't know about the millions dying. He shut himself completely of from the Force. He didn't even sense Han dying. That's well established in the story)

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo is the only one I'm vested in. The Covenant ideology never left - And the factions that formed its makeup , still existed of course. Their organizational hierarchy was largely destroyed, many and their "great journey" was indefinitely delayed. Other groups that left the ideology behind still hold contention with humanity - and Humanity with them.

Halo 4 & 5's plot was bolted on in the sense that the Forerunner saga created a new conflict for our heroes to address, but there were plenty of conflicts left at the end of 3, that could have been used instead. It wasn't "happily ever after"

I think we're just getting started.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I always prefer concise works with a beginning, middle and end. And whoever says "AND NOW, THE SEQUEL!!!" will always get that look of disgust from me.

At least Bojack is smart enough to know that he himself is the reason for the perpetual misery he finds himself into.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the principle characters so damaged that they abandon their friends and sail off to some magical purgatory? The end is conclusive, but didn't seem all that happy.

It was a bittersweet ending. The good guys won but the cost was high, yet it was worth it for the peace they won. They may not have walked out of it as winners themselves, but the heroes ensured the rest of the world would reap the reward of their success. Aragorn himself remained king for like 150 years, personally leading the world he helped save to a better tomorrow.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah, I might have interpreted some of your arguments wrongly. Sorry for that.

I still don't agree on Star Wars though (and I found your points in the OP mostly focussing on external conflict, not on internal conflict and arcs). For one because these new stories are about new character's, and the old, when they have an arc, mostly fight new battles. Been a while since I saw TFA, but for instance iirc Han has returned to smuggling and ran from his responsibilities again, but it's on a new and more personal level. It's him not being able to cope with his son going over to the dark side, and his marriage breaking because of it. When Leia asks him to save Ben, he is not reluctant to do so, but takes this responsability. This does not revert the ending shot of RoTJ imo. New challenges arose between ROTJ and TFA and the character revealed himself in his reaction to this. It's new conflict that does not disregard what came before, but continues on it. The problem is maybe that, because of the big time jump most of it is backstory. We didn't see the conflicts leading to Solo being a smuggler again. But I don't take issue with that, because he is even more a supporting character now than he was in the OT.

Luke is even a better example. He ends RotJ as the new and only Jedi, ready to reinstate the order. His arc in TLJ is a direct continuation of that. He failed in this task, and revealed character in his reaction to it. And in TLJ he rectifies his mistakes, completing a new arc. It's in some way what Shrek does, creating a new conflict from the end point of the previous story.

I do agree the FO and Resistance is maybe too much of a rehash of Empire/rebellion, and that other 'wars' could have been invented (though I don't think it's illogical the remnants of the Empire survived and build up strength. I also like the idea of a Resistance as a proxy-army, but it's just not well enough established and set-up in TFA. I would've loved to see more politics of the New Republic too, but I think Lucasfilm was very wary of shoehorning politics in after the PT. My main gripes with the ST is also that it reuses a bit to many ideas of the originals.). But that's a whole other issue. That's not an issue of reverting a happy ending, because every war would've reverted the peace at the end of RotJ. Your terrorism-idea is tentalizing, but it would've been kind of a lower stakes-game after a galaxy-spanning war. It's logical to choose a new, all-out war. (Also, Luke didn't know about the millions dying. He shut himself completely of from the Force. He didn't even sense Han dying. That's well established in the story)

Just because the stories are about new characters doesn't mean that the old aren't a major factor. Luke and Leia have two of the most major arcs in The Last Jedi and Han Solo is similarly pivotal. As for their conflicts being "new" that is, again, not my problem; my problem is that, unlike Shrek, none of their conflicts fully take into account the growth that each character has undergone in the original trilogy both externally and internally. Han Solo's arc in TFA is, as you said, just the same arc as his one in ANH but with a more personal slant. Leia's storyline in both films is, for the most part, a repeat of her storyline in the originals with a somewhat larger focus on her skills as a leader. Luke's arc is mostly new, but again all it does is take the bad parts of his character that he had mostly overcome (his rash decisions based on emotion) and used that as the basis for this new arc; it's not a new problem, just an old problem in a different skin.

You compare it to Shrek but, in my eyes, it would be like if Shrek 2 started with Shrek and Fiona unhappy with who they are despite the ending to the first clearly showing that not being the case.

Similarly it is an issue with reverting the peace found at the end of RotJ because, in the end, literally no part of that peace mattered. The Original Trilogy was basically WW2 in space, and the Sequel Trilogy is again just WW2 in space. They created a world that is even more grim than our own already grim-as-fuck world simply because they couldn't figure out a way to present a new conflict that took the old, completed conflict into account (in a positive way).

However, like every thread that dares mention them, I feel that this discussion has been completely sidetracked by arguments about the Sequel Trilogy so I won't dwell on that any further. It's clear that, at this point, no-one who likes the films will see the issues with those films and vice-versa. Focusing on the ST ignores the fact that my issues with the it are but a single example of a more media-wide problem. Too many sequels and 'soft-reboots' feel the need to revert many of the happy endings that had came before, and because of that I've grown cynical of the entire thing. When Episode 9 comes out this year I'm not going to be coming out of the theatre thinking "I'm happy that they defeated the First Order!", I'm going to be thinking "So how's Episode 10 going to fuck this all up?" When I go to watch a show like The Walking Dead and see a positive character development I don't think "Oh that's great!" I think "So they're going to die next episode, right?"

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Luke and Leia have two of the most major arcs in The Last Jedi and Han Solo is similarly pivotal.

Leia doesn't have an arc in TLJ. Her character (and Holdo's) are there to serve Poe's arc. Same with Rose and DJ serving Finn's and Luke and Kylo serving Rey's. Luke is the only major OT character who gets an arc and that's understandable since the entire plot of the ST has revolved around finding him.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
As we know from real life once evil is defeated we can rest easy as the ideas that drive it never return to haunt us again

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
As we know from real life once evil is defeated we can rest easy as the ideas that drive it never return to haunt us again

Firstly, the ideas "returning to haunt us again" isn't the same as the events that originally stemmed from those ideas happening again with no regard for what happened with them last time. The Nazis never left completely, and the prominence of their ideals in today's world is extremely worrying, but as far as I know Europe hasn't been conquered by the Nazis through force in the past 70 years. Similarly, despite it being nearly 30 years since the collapse of the USSR, we haven't seen the 'USSR2' yet and Russia-American relations are tenuous but not "could destroy the world at any moment" tenuous.

Secondly, and more importantly, stories aren't real life. As such, using real-life to justify why things in stories happen is just as absurd as doing the same thing but the opposite way around.

I TOLD YOU ABOUT FRANCHISE CONTINUATIONS, DOG! I TOLD YOU BRO!
OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
So instead of making a new thread I thought to just bump this one to take into account some recent and upcoming films:

Of course the most damning instance of what this thread was about from this year is going to be the confirmation that Darth Vader actually didn't kill the Emperor and that literally the one thing that actually managed to stick from the Original Trilogy actually didn't do that in the end. Darth Vaders redemption? Nah, fuck that, the show has to go on and we need an iconic villain so his redemption actually came from giving a minor setback to Sheev instead of

Secondly, here's some Terminator: Dark Fate spoilers for ya:

The film literally erases every single piece of character development and plot development from Terminator 2

John Connor, the entire reason T2 happens, is killed in the opening scene only to be replaced by not-John Connor.
Skynet, the thing that was completely wiped off the map, is just replaced by not-Skynet that apparently comes about despite everything that happened in T1 and 2
Sarah Connor, due to the aforementioned death-of-her-child, turns back into the obsessed prepper character that Terminator 2 evolved her out of

So Terminator 2 is an example of a film that has been made completely inconsequential twice. Whhhhyyyy

Lets not dwell on the negativity, however, as Avengers: Endgame shows an example of this phenomena being completely subverted in a massive motion picture film:

Practically all of the original Phase 1 heroes get fairly definitive endings to either their characters or their character arcs and that's amazing. There's room for more adventures with a few of them and we even have confirmation of a new Thor film and Hawkeye TV show (and Black Widow film but that's a prequel) but in the grand scheme of things there's really very little room for a "nope. that shit you did don't matter no more," move in Phase 5 or whatever.

Of course Tony Stark dies, but he does so doing perhaps the most selfless thing he could ever do whilst leaving behind a legacy through Pepper Potts, his daughter, and Peter Parker. Similarly it represents the definitive ending to the character arc he's had for the majority of the franchise.

Captain America, on the other hand, gets to live a happy and complete life and also leaves a legacy.

So two of the most well-known and beloved superheroes from recent memories get endings that won't, and cannot, be rewritten or fucked over. Of course there's the potential for a series reboot but in-universe they're never going to get RDJ's Iron Man and Chris Evans' Captain America.

So, yeah, there's an update for ya. I still hate this phenomena and I still hope that more characters and stories actually get decent endings for once in this depressing fucked up world we live in.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toy Story 4 did kind of leave a bad taste in my mouth due to it recontextualizing the third movie's ending.

Edit: Oh wow this is an old thread!

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
That's why, sometimes, anime that know they're only getting one season are great.

As you said, whenever a work gets extended, they often just undo everything in a lazy way.
Like those millions of romantic comedies where OH NO they actually didn't get together after getting together in the end of last volume/season.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
With the principle characters so damaged that they abandon their friends and sail off to some magical purgatory? The end is conclusive, but didn't seem all that happy.

Not only is it unhappy, Frodo comes back from that debacle with some serious PTSD and maybe that whole "sailing off to magical purgatory" thing comes off like he committed suicide to end the misery.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a huge reason why I dislike the Force Awakens. If you don't wanna focus on Luke, Han, & Leia, that's fine, but having them all revert back to their old selves and erase practically all progress they made is absolute garbage writing.
I hate how people ignore how they ruin Han

Like Luke and Leia have character progress, but Han? Have him become distant from Leia, but his whole arc was joining the fight. Having him go back to his scoundrel life and trading with FIRST ORDER AND THE REPUBLIC? WHAT THE FUCK GUYS

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Points to The Last Airbender, whose world's drama in comics after the series is Anng trying to make peace between nations that now have multiple cultures fused from years of being fire nation's rule, and the politics of returning the land when that's a fact

Or Korra with the rise of a goverment of Benders versus the people they serve

you know, actual conflicts from the setting shifting and changing

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much agree with you man. It's also the same thing with relationships in most fiction. Writers are often incapable of making a stable couple interesting so the two love interests are either in a perpetual "will they, won't they" situation or always breaking up.

"Everything went to shit" is just a lazy and easy way to keep a story going.

This is why I love Michael Schur written series.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Parks and Recreation, The Good Place

He finds stable couples and lets them become couples with a minimum of will-they/wont-they trash.

Edit: Oh, wow that post is super old. Sorry dude.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
You should give Last Man on Earth a shot.

Since everyone died due to a plague, you cant really get worse than that. And it always gets better, up until the absolute last shot of season 4

Jan 3, 2018
Han living out the rest of his days happily married to Leia and having kids is about the most boring thing imaginable for that character. Same for Tony Stark marrying Pepper Potts, settling down and having a child.

Han could have contributed to Force Awakens story in an interesting way while being married with kids and generally happy. None of the old characters needed an arc, or to have more than supporting roles. Focus on the new characters.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Han could have contributed to Force Awakens story in an interesting way while being married with kids and generally happy. None of the old characters needed an arc, or to have more than supporting roles. Focus on the new characters.

Yeah, if anything the OT characters were made too prevalent in the sequel trilogy.

That said, it was a breath of fresh air seeing those characters go through troubles in the future, especially coming from George Lucas, and Disney agreeing with him!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Drama is necessary in most fiction, but I think this only bothers me when the writers for some reason believe that the past or initial drama is the only drama possible for these characters. Like in the Star Wars example, everything goes wrong in the life of the former main cast just to push a conflict closely mirroring the one that was in the original trilogy. That's the type of thing that bothers me. If the conflict had a completely unrelated source, I don't think there would be a similar issue. Life goes on, and if they want to tell more stories with those characters conflicts need to happen.

Jun 17, 2019
You want a story with a happy ending that keeps going, develops the characters and has new conflicts? Well just look up the Thin man series.

You have a pair of happy leads that get married have a baby all while solving mysteries.

Regarding the EU for Star Wars, the leads of the OT did not get perfect endings. Luke failed to save both his first love and later the love of his life mara. Leia got kidnapped a number of times, Han didn't listen Luke and Kyp Duren blew up a sun, Chewie was crushed by the sun, han and Leia's eldest son went evil, their younger son was killed and their daughter had to kill their son.

In no way is the ST worse than what the EU did.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
You want a story with a happy ending that keeps going, develops the characters and has new conflicts? Well just look up the Thin man series.

You have a pair of happy leads that get married have a baby all while solving mysteries.

Regarding the EU for Star Wars, the leads of the OT did not get perfect endings. Luke failed to save both his first love and later the love of his life mara. Leia got kidnapped a number of times, Han didn't listen Luke and Kyp Duren blew up a sun, Chewie was crushed by the sun, han and Leia's eldest son went evil, their younger son was killed and their daughter had to kill their son.

'tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

I think Chewie was crushed by a moon, and of course Star Wars fans sent death threats to the author because of it.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
I quite like what Daniel Abraham - one of the authors of The Expanse - said recently on reddit (praphrasing because I couldn't find the comment):

"All good stories have endings"

This answer was given when asked a question as to whether the upcoming 9th book in the series (plus what has been hinted to be a loosely connected epilogue novella) was really the last book. And while that is not a universal law of writing, I think it does get to the heart of the problem of trying to make all stories perpetual. Not all stories can operate like a Marvel/DC comic series or a soap opera, not should they.

I feel similarly about the ending of TW3: while that game is one of my all-time favourites, it ends so conclusively and satisfyingly that I would be a bit wary of any follow-up when it is inevitably announced: For the sake of drama, it will likely have to do undo parts of TW3's ending.

Maybe instead of stories continuing happily after happy endings or revving up the drama machine to undercut them, we should simply let more stories end.