Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Jim Carrey's Dr Robotnik is unarguably a major draw to the Sonic film series. There is no way the next film is cancelled or rebooted, but if he truly intends to retire the writers are going to need a new proper threat. A movie all about Agent Stone and Shadow just would not work.

One of the more consistent concepts I have seen around is of people suggesting a recast in the context of Robot Robotnik from the Archie Comics. I do not know too terribly much about the lore there other than he was canonically dead before and they needed a way to use the Sonic Adventure era design for him. It also gave them a decent reason to rename him Eggman.

I think a decent option would be to just have Gerald Robotnik written as Ivo's father and have someone like Christopher Walken just make him effectively an original character. Maybe the Knuckles Paramount+ series could introduce another villain too.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The movie will not work without Jim Carrey's manic energy. They will either poochiediedonhiswaytohomeplanet.gif or CG him.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I'll be shocked if he doesn't return for 3 despite his retirement talk.

Big Sonic 2 spoilers:
Introducing Shadow but then not having Eggman for your psuedo Sonic Adventure 2 adaptation would be a major miss

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it can kind of work without him if they do go SA2 route. You have already have Sonic, Tails, Knuckle, Shadows, the human characters, Maria, Gerald Robotnik and maybe even Rogue if they go that far?

It can work without him but I do think he'll be back.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Hell, I can see him kinda retiring but still staying as Robotnik. He genuinely seems like he's having the time of his life with this role.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Jim Carrey was one of the weakest aspects of Sonic 2 imo, so I wouldn't be sad to see them move away a bit from it and try a different main villain.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The retirement talk feels like a negotiation tactic. He knows he brings tens of millions to the box office revenue and he'll make sure to get his slice. There's also a storied history of follow-up films that don't do well after trying to fill a role that Jim Carrey filled.

MV5BY2MwOWFjOGQtYzQ0Yi00NWJjLThkZmQtNWU1NmJjYmY2MTI2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDgyODgxNjE@._V1_QL75_UX380_CR0,4,380,562_.jpg

Sonofthemask.jpg

MV5BMTcyMjk5MDQzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzYxNzk5._V1_QL75_UY562_CR2,0,380,562_.jpg

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even if he does really retire, I'm guessing he will honor existing agreements. And there is a pretty decent chance they signed everyone on to 3 movies at the start in case it became a big hit (like most movies with any sequel potential do any more). A pay bump would probably help too.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If he doesn't return I don't see myself going to the theater to see it. He was most of the appeal for the first two.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think he'll be back. Sonic is legit one of Paramount's biggest franchises now; they'll pay him enough for him to come out of semi-retirement.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If he returns, the plot will be exactly the same as Sonic 2 (Robotnik tricks powerful animal into fighting Sonic, but by the end they're friends) which would be lame two films in a row.

However, Carrey is at least 50% of why either of these have been entertaining so rehashed plot might be a price worth getting more Robotnik.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The end of 2 makes it kinda obvious the direction they are heading, and they don't have to have Robotnik (would be nice though)

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like they were already setting it up for him to have Sonic 3 off, anyway?

Sonic 3 is clearly setting up
Shadow and the military goons
as the primary antagonist.

I expect Carrey to be back as Robotnik eventually but they can easily take their time and ramp back up to it.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
If he returns, the plot will be exactly the same as Sonic 2 (Robotnik tricks powerful animal into fighting Sonic, but by the end they're friends) which would be lame two films in a row.

However, Carrey is at least 50% of why either of these have been entertaining so rehashed plot might be a price worth getting more Robotnik.

Did you play Sonic Adventure 2? This isn't really what happens in that game. Eggman does uncover Shadow, but Shadow himself is the one that's stringing everybody along to pretty much doom the earth. Also, by the end of it everybody including Robotnik are working to save the world. That doesn't sound like it would come off as a rehash if they adapted these things.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Did you play Sonic Adventure 2? This isn't really what happens in that game. Eggman does uncover Shadow, but Shadow himself is the one that's stringing everybody along to pretty much doom the earth. Also, by the end of it everybody including Robotnik are working to save the world. That doesn't sound like it would come off as a rehash if they adapted these things.
I've only played a few stages and not enough to remember much from it. That does seem like a good subversion on the setup.

Jedimastertoke

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 22, 2021
It would be a huge miss if he didn't come back. Back up the truck and dump a fat load of cash in his lap. Whatever it takes. I honestly don't know if I'd see the 3rd one without him

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Bring in alternate universe "classic" Sonic and Danny Devito as that universe's Robotnik.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It will be noticeable that he's absent, but I think you can get away with it. He's not turning in a Liar Liar level of performance in these things. I'm here to see the fuzzy animals zipping around.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Bruh, we have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and
Shadow
The movie will be fine without him or not a lot of him lmao
This aint the first movie, it can stand on its own legs

Just like how SA2 had Shadow as the main focus of attention with his backstory, He will be more than enough

Also i feel pretty confident that a majority of viewers are fans of the Sonic series as a whole, the people that REALLY love Carrey as Robonik/think that he carries it to the point that him not being as present is a down side are a extreme minority

But its not like im on family feud asking everyone that for a survey

Personally He was a little too zany in this movie, understandable for the first movie, and really understandable considering that he was alone for so long on Mushroom Hill Zone/Planet, but that wont really be needed for the next movie, but im not the producer and i trust them massively no matter what they do at this point

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
If they're doing a Sonic 3 they need to get him back. And if he says it's the last time, they should retire the series. I don't want to see a Sonic movie with a Carrey replacement (Who could even replace Jim Carrey?) and I don't want to see a Sonic movie with a different villain. (Does Sonic even have a different villain than Robotnik? I mean even Zelda only has Gannon. Even when it's not Gannon, it's Gannon.)

Robotnik is really like half the reason I liked the first movie.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
The movie opens with Robotnik's body being taken to a lab and mutated into a CG version of the game model

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I did not know about the Knuckles Paramount thing

Calling it now, it will be used to introduce Rouge, SA2 here we come baby

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
By using full-on 2D animation instead of the hybrid CGI look.

Then just use AI to generate the voice clips by training it on his lines from the first two movies.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
It's like impossible for me to think he won't be back for Sonic 3. My brain won't even imagine it. I know what he's said about retirement but he's also previously said he enjoys playing Robotnik. If he retires I think it'll be after that 3rd movie.

If he's not already under contract for the 3rd movie, Paramount will probably throw all kinds of money at him.

Mar 11, 2020
didn't he recently do another interview where he wants fat eggman in sonic 3? That didn't sound like he wouldn't be doing that at least.