• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that the retiring thing was an April Fool's joke? I remember seeing stuff on Twitter about how it was too perfect that on April 1st he said he was retiring making Sonic 2 of all things his final movie.

Plus hasn't he also said he wants to get to be fat Robotnik next time?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that the retiring thing was an April Fool's joke? I remember seeing stuff on Twitter about how it was too perfect that on April 1st he said he was retiring making Sonic 2 of all things his final movie.

Plus hasn't he also said he wants to get to be fat Robotnik next time?

He is doing Ace Ventura 3 with the same production team.

edit :

Oh wow the sonic producers and writers are doing a new Ace Venture *without* Jim apparently. I guess something didn't work out.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
It'd be a shame if Jim didn't come back, but I'm betting he might after the 2nd films success. I'd be happy for a different villain to take the reigns. Gerald Robotnik is an easy fix

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
He'll be back, hes retiring maybe but not from this role yet.

He'll defo be fat eggman next time too

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They'll probably have the guy who plays his cronie Stone as the new Robotnik.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
He indicated he would only return to acting if the project felt in some way important to him. If he does return for Sonic 3, while I'd dig that, it would totally deflate what he said. We are in for a very different feeling Sonic 3 without him. I think he added even more to Sonic 2 than he did for Sonic 1, so yeah he'd definitely be missed.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
If he doesn't return, it'll make me a bit upset at them not having The Doomsday Zone in Sonic 2. It would've killed Robotnik off definitively, which makes sense if he comes back, but if he doesn't, they really should've had it in the movie.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
He indicated he would only return to acting if the project felt in some way important to him. If he does return for Sonic 3, while I'd dig that, it would totally deflate what he said. We are in for a very different feeling Sonic 3 without him. I think he added even more to Sonic 2 than he did for Sonic 1, so yeah he'd definitely be missed.
Not necessarily. He said he enjoys making this for families and their kids. That might not hit your definition of important, but it might to him.

Similar to how Zoe Saldana / other MCU actors talked about how amazing it was to see the kids / children adore the heroes they played.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it would deflate his statement. Sonic has been a joy beyond joy for children and adults alike and that is important. His statement can also just mean "important" in that he enjoyed the work he was doing. Jim seemed to be having tons of fun playing Robotnik.

I don't think any of us can speak to what sort of projects Jim will take on in his 2nd retirement, but it isn't up to us interpret his statement. He will determine what is important to him.

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
So if Sonic 3 is focusing on project shadow or whatever then there's problably going to be a bigger focus on Gerald Robotnik as well

He's the best part of the first movie, is a highlight of the second and considering SA2's storym I hope he doesn't sit it out.

I would love to see how this Robotnik interacts with
Shadow, and Rouge as well, if she is included. As well as how they will interpret Gerald and Maria into this version of his storyline. Plus Shadow tricking him into doing his bidding and him having to swallow his pride and possible work along Sonic and the gang will be fun to see, if they follow that part of SA2.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Not necessarily. He said he enjoys making this for families and their kids. That might not hit your definition of important, but it might to him.
He's telling us what his definition of projects he'd return for includes very clearly. He announced a retirement right after Sonic 2 when he knows very well there would be a Sonic 3. Read between the lines.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
He's telling us what his definition of projects he'd return for includes very clearly. He announced a retirement right after Sonic 2 when he knows very well there would be a Sonic 3. Read between the lines.
There's literally a bit from the premiere in video form above talking about what I said from his own lips. We're all just theorizing, including yourself.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they were already setting it up for him to have Sonic 3 off, anyway?

Sonic 3 is clearly setting up
Shadow and the military goons
as the primary antagonist.

I expect Carrey to be back as Robotnik eventually but they can easily take their time and ramp back up to it.

I don't see Shadow as being the solo bad guy. Robotnik, Carrey's Robotnik is a big part of why the movies are so good. I'm sure he will be back.