• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey feels like a mix of all the great Mario games with Banjo Kazooie. Being dropped into a world to look for moons without having to back out and reenter is great for a 3D platformer, and with all the characters to use it feels like Banjo Kazooie: Transformation Evolved.

If a new Banjo Kazooie is ever to be released, I hope its grand return is structured similarly. It's important that they nail it, and with this formula I think people will be open to it over something too polarizing like Nuts & Bolts, which while I think many will agree is a solid game, but not the game Banjo fans need right now.

I could go on about this, but I'm too excited to stop playing Odyssey lol. I can't stop thinking about this damn game! And once it's over, I know I'll be thinking more about Banjo Kazooie being given this treatment; it deserves a come back!

So how about you, anyone else thinking about Banjo Kazooie while playing Odyssey?

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rare said recently they have no plans on bringing back their old IP if I recall. Doesn't close the door on another dev to touch the series like Double Helix did with Killer Instinct (2013) but I can't think of any dev that would take it.

Thankfully Mario Odyssey is filling the void in a way. It's a Banjo collectathon with incredible platforming gameplay of Mario.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rare said recently they have no plans on bringing back their old IP if I recall.

Thankfully Mario Odyssey is filling the void in a way. It's a Banjo collectathon with incredible platforming gameplay of Mario.

I don't think Rare needs to be the developer on a new Banjo Kazooie. Killer Instinct returned and proved other developers are more than capable of providing justice for Rare IP's.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't think there will be a new Banjo-Kazooie for some time looking at the fact they just release Super Licky's Tale as their mascot platformer.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Remember when they tried to expand it like Odyssey with it's sequel, Tooie.

Remember that Tooie is actually very bad

A smaller scale is much better than Odyssey's grand sense of scale for an adventure game like Banjo. Backtracking is almost required to be in it but not as overwhelming as Tooie

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey feels like a new Mario 64

I don't get where you get Banjo Kazooie from it other than it being a 3d platformer. Like the platforming feels good so its not much like Banjo

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Rare needs to be the developer on a new Banjo Kazooie. Killer Instinct returned and proved other developers are more than capable of providing justice for Rare IP's.

Haha yeah you're right. I was just editing in that part. I have to wonder what dev could even make something on the scale of a Banjo 3 at this point.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry, they're not!

Sad but true. I'm glad they're giving Rare an opportunity to develop an ambitious new IP, perhaps that is what the team needed to revitalize their energy after a string of mediocre or unsuccessful titles but I don't think we'll see Banjo Kazooie from them or any other Microsoft Studio any time soon.

ZER0

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Rare have another game in the work besides Sea of Thieves?
Maybe it's a reboot for an old Ip(probably not).

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't get where you get Banjo Kazooie from it other than it being a 3d platformer. Like the platforming feels good so its not much like Banjo

Transformations feel more like Banjo Kazooie as they're not just additions to Mario's moveset like with typical Mario power-ups, rather in Odyssey they are completely different characters like in Banjo. Also, you had to back out and re-enter levels for a lot of stars in Mario 64, whereas in Banjo you just stay in that world until you're ready to leave.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I think probably a tighter and more expanded version of nuts and bolts would stand out more. trying to directly compete with mario's platforming and gameplay variety seems like a mistake, and like a place that has less opportunity for experimentation

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it right now and it's really good, it's a lot like Galaxy 2 but in bigger space, makes me think of sunshine or 64.

Unfortunately i don't trust anyone at MS to do a good banjo and kazooie, the IP is dead, and that's a real shame.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I don't trust Microsoft or modern rare with banjo and kazooie, besides I think somethings are better left died

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think probably a tighter and more expanded version of nuts and bolts would stand out more. trying to directly compete with mario's platforming and gameplay variety seems like a mistake, and like a place that has less opportunity for experimentation

Hmm, what if one of the worlds was entirely focused on Nuts & Bolts and creating vehicles to get Jiggies? I think that'd be interesting.

I don't trust Microsoft or modern rare with banjo and kazooie, besides I think somethings are better left died

Can you imagine this being said after Sunshine with how much unfortunate hate that received? We never would've got Galaxy, 3D World or Odyssey.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I even want a new BK after SMO and seeing how Yooka-Laylee turned out to be.

It's a collectathon like BK, but it's also a platformer.... it's like all the 3D Mario's and BK had a baby, and it's beautiful.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
MS will not make a game that cannot be GAS and Banjo is not a good fit for it.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
Would be great to see Banjo and Kazooie return but I just can't see it happening based on Rare's comments. I've no idea who at MS would be the perfect fit for it either. Shame as great IP.

Oct 26, 2017
Rare said they wouldn't be returning to old franchises unless the concept would be groundbreaking or something along those lines.

Bye bye any chances of Banjo or Conker.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017

A smaller scale is much better than Odyssey's grand sense of scale for an adventure game like Banjo. Backtracking is almost required to be in it but not as overwhelming as Tooie

Very bad? You're nuts! Tooie was awesome. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

The issue in Tooie isn't the content necessarily, it's just that Rare couldn't ever figure out how to make such a large amount of content fun. Odyssey has more content than Tooie ever did and it's consistently fun all throughout and a joy to play. When Rare went all out in content with Tooie and Donkey Kong 64, it was a chore to play.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not gonna happen, nor is it likely it will be even remotely as good as Mario..rare today is almost nothing like the rare that were good back in the day. It's Rare in name only.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
At this point it would be better if Nintendo acquired the rights of the franchise. I don't think Rare still has it to create a game that captures the magic of the original Banjo-Kazooie games (Hell, not even former Rare members can capture the magic of the original games. See Yooka-Laylee).

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll never bring it back at this point as much as people would love it

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey is a love letter to both Banjo Kazooie and Space Station Silicon Valley.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
At this point it would be better if Nintendo acquired the rights of the franchise. I don't think Rare still has it to create a game that captures the magic of the original Banjo-Kazooie games (Hell, not even former Rare members can capture the magic of the original games. See Yooka-Laylee).
Gregg Mayles is still at Rare (leading on Sea of Thieves). I wouldn't want a Banjo game without him. He had a huge part in the level design for the Banjo games, which is something Yooka-Laylee failed on for me.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is quite similar to a Nintendo game called Mario Artist: Polygon Studio. Open world game where you build crazy vehicles.

Look, Rareware never cared about what people wanted. That was their strength as a company. Their Lynchian appeal. The difficulty spikes in Rareware games were intentional sadism. They enjoyed screwing with their customers. There was no sucking up to the audience, no "What do you want from the series, precious customer. Shall we change the game to be more like what you wanted?" None of that. Conker's Bad Fur Day is a gigantic "We don't give a shit what you want from a Conker game."