• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If MS did get a representative in Smash, who would be the best candidate?

• Steve

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • Chief

Votes: 535 41.7%
  • Banjo

Votes: 615 47.9%

• Total voters

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's not who most people here would want out of the 3, but Steve by a long shot.

Also, OP, how dare you slander mr. game and watch like that. He's fun as hell to play as.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Shame on the OP for not including Microsoft's most famous gaming icon in that poll.

KoDLaut.jpg

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Banjo is the most approrpriate, Master Chief is the most iconic, Steve is bad and I will hear no more of him.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I know he says he's not picking, but that would be a Sakurai dig, or cry for help. The franchise that started on Gamecube, but left for Microsoft to be an Xbox, then tentpole Xbox 360 launch title.

Maybe she'll get a Spririt. What would it be, Female Pokémon Trainer?

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Man, thinking here... it's really really really hard to make a MS mascot game.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Steve is the one that makes the most sense (even though it'd be the most boring): Japan loooves Minecraft, and the game in general is one of the most successful third party title on Switch.

Nintendo (Japan in particular) audience doesn't know Halo, and we haven't see a new entry in the Banjo series in a long time.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Clippy.

But seriously, i've barely touched an xbox since ~2010 and I've gotta say master chief. idk how hard the current xbox userbase worships halo, but chief's still the face of the brand to me.

banjo kazooie wouldn't feel like a "microsoft" pick. it would feel like a "sorry we sold rare before you got to join the battle" pick. i only know banjo kazooie from friends who played the n64 games reminiscing. despite the legal ownership and the existence of nuts n bolts, i don't think of them as MS characters, just as a long-dead nintendo franchise.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Banjo would make the most sense, but I don't even associate him with MS, so Chief it is.

Keep steve out of everything.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have far more nostalgia for Halo 1 then Banjo plus Chief is a much more meagningful representation of Microsoft IMO.

Plus, you know, Halo theme in Smash.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief is the face of XBox, and Steve would get the most people excited.

But Banjo would get ME the most excited.

Nov 12, 2017
Depends what you mean by "best"

Closest connection to Nintendo history: Banjo
Most iconic and influential in the genre: Chief
Biggest audience (and biggest indie rep): Steve

Seeing how Joker and Erdrick DLC also reps Jack and Slime, Steve seems more likely; his level could easily include Chief and Banjo, but not the other way around.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Master Chief with an energy sword. So we can get another sword user as DLC.

Nah to be honest tho, I'd love to see Chief. He has a dope arsenal to pick from. Steve is awful pick. Banjo and Kazooie would be great, but I feel Duck Hunt might already intrude on their moveset

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief -is- the Xbox. Like he's even green!

Master Chief and Banjo would be ideal, tho.

I'm OK with Steve. I'm sure he'd be creative.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say Banjo, purely on the basis that Sakurai is usually pretty on the pulse when it comes to fan demand, and I feel like Nintendo aren't necessarily much different in this mentality either, especially after the announcement of Joker.

Steve can go sit in the Mii Costume corner, honestly.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steve is the one that makes the most sense (even though it'd be the most boring): Japan loooves Minecraft, and the game in general is one of the most successful third party title on Switch.

Nintendo (Japan in particular) audience doesn't know Halo, and we haven't see a new entry in the Banjo series in a long time.
I mean if you're getting a freaking Microsoft rep I don't think Japan would be a factor in the first place.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
At this point if Microsoft made a smash clone like when Sony attempted, the roster would look more fitting.

Well, I suppose it can be done, using multiple characters from games and 3rd party characters.

Banjo Kazooie
Gruntilda
Mambo

Master Chief
Elite
Locke

Fulgore
Spinal
Glacius

Rash
Pimple
Zitz

Plus Joanna Dark, Steve, Conker, Marcus Phoenix, Ori, Crackdown guy, Kaim...

Yeah, I don't know if it would sell, but sure, I'll retract my post.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Minecraft guy is the "right" choice, Banjo is the right choice, Master Chief is the correct choice.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Master Chief is the only one that stands for Xbox really. Steve would be boring. Banjo would be cool if they didn't care about being a representative of Microsoft. Joanna Dark too.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
any answer other than banjo is wrong, fight me
I didn't have a N64 as a kid(one of three Nintendo systems I never owned) so the franchise really means nothing to me.

So I don't have the nostalgia factor.

He's also not exactly popular or relevant today(though I'm sure a Crash style remake would do wonders)

So I don't have any current mindshare for him.

But I did play the shit out of Halo 1 on my dads Xbox.

And there's a new Halo game coming out.

And he's clearly one of the first characters anyone thinks of when you say Microsoft.

I understand why some people want Banjo more but I can't logically think of any reason to put him before Chief if it's a choice.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Steve (Minecraft) just feel more likely out of all Microsoft characters due to it's popularity in worldwide. (It's even popular in Japan which Halo weren't.

But Master Chief from Halo would make me incredibly hype tho since he's pretty unlikely character when people were talking about him.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have a N64 as a kid(one of three Nintendo systems I never owned) so the franchise really means nothing to me.

So I don't have the nostalgia factor.

He's also not exactly popular or relevant today(though I'm sure a Crash style remake would do wonders)

So I don't have any current mindshare for him.

But I did play the shit out of Halo 1 on my dads Xbox.

And there's a new Halo game coming out.

And he's clearly one of the first characters anyone thinks of when you say Microsoft.

I understand why some people want Banjo more but I can't logically think of any reason to put him before Chief if it's a choice.
hush you, he fits in so well though

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo, no contest.

Neither Chief nor Steve can say they were once owned by Nintendo.

r1fJuoN.png

But it'll probably be Steve, because Minecraft is a phenomenon.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I look at it from Nintendo/Namco/Sora perspective:

If they had to pick their favorite Xbox hero to join what is undoubtedly the most legendary cross-over cast in all of Video Game history, the answer has to be Master Chief

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Coming in here, I was going to say Banjo-Kazooie by a landslide, but yeah. I can see Master Chief getting in just for the shock factor. Has Master Chief shown up on Nintendo systems in any capacity other than Minecraft skins, though?