• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If MS did get a representative in Smash, who would be the best candidate?

• Steve

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • Chief

Votes: 535 41.7%
  • Banjo

Votes: 615 47.9%

• Total voters

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I was like "who the fuck is Steve"? Never really played Minecraft aside from trying it once and thinking meh, and didn't realise he had a name.

Edit: beaten lol, not just me then!

Also the answer is obviously Voodoo Vince

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Who the fuck is Steve?

*Google*

Oh, Minecraft dude. Nah fuck that. Chief or Banjo.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
who the fuck is Steve

default minecraft player model

144_11_Parent.Holidays.Gift_Ideas.SS_.144.Minecraft-Cover.jpg

813vn5rxYVL._SX466_.jpg

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The one and only Chef. Gonna cook you up a world of hurt.

He needs a weapon.

He flew pretty good.

He never misses.

He did that on purpose, didn't he.

Tell that to the Covenant.

Cortanaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Chief is MS face, it would be weird/awesomr to ser it there's.

Steve is the big name between those 3.

But yeah, Id love banjo because of Nostalgia :)

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Steve is clearly the biggest choice, as the number of kids that have grown up around Minecraft would be astronomical.
Banjo is a better choice for longtime Nintendo fans.

Ori is a better choice as MS rep, IMO.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Where was I supposed to pick up that Minecraft guy, which hasn't been a guy for me in recent plays, has the name Steve?

Why not list MC by John?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where was I supposed to pick up that Minecraft guy, which hasn't been a guy for me in recent plays, has the name Steve?

Why not list MC by John?

Ain't nobody know that fucker by John. Who the fuck wants to call him John anyway. Oh no, look out, it's John. Please, sir. Please.

You got a cool ass name like Master Chef and you want to call him John. That's some rampant ass Cortana shit.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Banjo would be the safest bet. A character everyone has wanted to see for decades while having three Banjo games to tap into for the OST.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Pretty sure Banjo would be the safest bet. A character everyone has wanted to see for decades while having three Banjo games to tap into for the OST.
While that is true, Nintendo would stand to gain more from promoting Minecraft. It really comes down to what Nintendo values more, satisfying fan demand or using Smash as a marketing tool.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
While that is true, Nintendo would stand to gain more from promoting Minecraft. It really comes down to what Nintendo values more, satisfying fan demand or using Smash as a marketing tool.

No argument there. For me, I feel like Banjo would make the hardcore fans happy, but with the popularity of Minecraft, they can certainly go down that path too.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo is the one the vocal fans would be most nostalgic for, but I guarantee you, Chief would turn way more heads. Steve is such an incredibly safe pick that I actually hope that's not the case if MS really does get a cameo in Smash.

It's not like Halo's any stranger to having its cast cameo in fighters, either. Nicole was in DoA4, and Arbiter was in KI2013.
Cool guy, doesn't afraid of anything, kills all the aliens. Hola.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Steve is the obvious answer based on popularity. He trounces Halo and Banjo combined in recognition. Stages could be cool, too.

Master Chief is extremely unlikely though, and Banjo is the best fit for Nintendo (also since the games are on Nintendo machines, though I guess that doesn't really matter anymore with Joker being there).

It's going to be Banjo or Steve.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What would Nintendo would gain anything from the character that's already from one of the biggest games in the world and has already been on Nintendo systems for years over the other two characters that would no doubt create much more attention.

Banjo and Chief would create way bigger splashes then Steve ever would and would have way more to offer. Even other niche MS franchises like Ori and Cuphead would offer much more than Steve ever would

Last edited:

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DymNMKSXcAABBzK.jpg

You want a popular, globally recognized game? One that's been played for more hours than any other?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief, easily. He has been THE face of Xbox since the beginning and is the only one who was born with and has been part of the platform all along. I'd rather see an OG character than an aquisition, tbh.

Plus, it makes the most sense for MS, imo. Minecraft is its own phenomenon, and Banjo is great and all, but having Master Chief in Smash preceding Halo Infinite, their next biggest flagship title, makes the most sense.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't being ironic, I love the 1st Banjo game but would rather see Blinx or Blue Dragon have Smash representation. If not them, Phantom Dust, Fable, Perfect Dark or Killer Instinct.

If it has to be one of the 3 listed in the poll I'd choose Banjo, although Steve is more relevant.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Master Chief, no question.

They already have "guns" and rockets, he can use an energy sword, needler, throw plasma grenades. It's eassssy

Of course, Steve would also be a no brainier and great for popularity

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chief would be my preference, but Banjo wouldn't exactly upset me. Either one would make me real happy.

Steve would be a disappointment though.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Banjo followed by chief. Steve would be awful. He can be an assist trophy.

Steve, the only with a mainstream appeal and an alive franchise :p

Edit: But could be cool to have Joanna Dark basically representing the N64 FPS times.
its hilarious people dont think chief doesnt have mainstream appeal. Chief is one of the most recognizable characters in all of video games and is the face of xbox.

Pacify

Oct 30, 2017
Master Chief and Minecraft Steve are video games to a few generations. Either would be great. I feel either would bring in more players than Banjo. The Banjo audience I view as the same group of people asking for Geno.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
No one.

Banjo is irrelevant, Steve is hideous, and Master Chief has no place being in Nintendo's crossover.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If NAMCO goes all out on the minecraft stage, I can tolerate Steve.

Otherwise just stick to Chief and make Atriox the echo fighter.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Steve is the obvious answer based on popularity. He trounces Halo and Banjo combined in recognition. Stages could be cool, too.

Master Chief is extremely unlikely though, and Banjo is the best fit for Nintendo (also since the games are on Nintendo machines, though I guess that doesn't really matter anymore with Joker being there).

It's going to be Banjo or Steve.

Bleh I hate Steve. Not because of nostalgia but because the most recognizable characters in Minecraft are Pig and Pssssst.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Bear and bird are the only correct option.
But if they want to troll everybody, they should put the blonde kid from Grabbed by the Ghoulies instead

Oct 28, 2017
If I had to choose between the three, it would probably be Master Chief. He works the best as a representative of Microsoft as he's literally Mr. Xbox and his series speaks for itself.

I'd probably put Fulgore above Banjo, Killer Instinct has become a big IP for Microsoft and there's probably a sequel in pipeline for their next system.