• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If MS did get a representative in Smash, who would be the best candidate?

• Steve

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • Chief

Votes: 535 41.7%
  • Banjo

Votes: 615 47.9%

• Total voters

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Clippy, of course.

519285ffecad046054000014-750.jpg

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know, when we found out Nintendo had chosen the DLC for Ultimate I thought Banjo's chances were dead. If these rumors about Microsoft and Nintendo having talks are legit, then I totally think he has a shot again.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Master Chief comes with Halo music.

Marty O'Donnell may be a horrible asshole, but I can't say no to that music.

That said, from an "objective" perspective, Banjo deserves it the most.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Banjo, he has the most history with Nintendo and probably the most interesting moveset, music, and potential stages too. Second would be one of the Battle Toads, largely for the same reasons. Master Chief and Steve just feel like they would be soulless cash grabs chosen by committee.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If it's Steve or Master Chief I'll blow my brains out fucking dull as hell choices.
Optimally it'd be Banjo/Kazooie or Conker.

Fuck it without a shred of a lie I'd take the fucking paperclip over those two wet noodles.
How is Xbox's mascot and the face of one of the most influential FPS series ever "dull as hell"?

It's not like the Smash roster is drowning in FPS protagonists.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I could live without an Xbox rep tbh. Banjo & Kazooie if anyone I suppose, but they aren't high on my wishlist.

Honestly, I'd be much more excited for a Minecraft stage than any playable characters. There's so many possibilities for a Minecraft stage, and all of them would be absolutely fantastic. Throw in a Creeper Assist Trophy, and you got a stew goin'.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Banjo is the best choice, as a cherished classic Nintendo character.
Master Chief is a great choice too, as a gaming icon and face of Xbox.
Steve is a bad choice, though a Minecraft stage would be interesting.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
If we're talking legally owned by, Banjo-Kazooie is the choice here. Though I think all 3 represent different things.

BK is more a Rare rep, Steve is more of it's own thing with Minecraft, leaving Master Chief the only true MS rep out of those three.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Hey did you guys know that the original Killer Instinct sold more than Banjo-Kazooie
Hey did you know the franchise as a whole has sold more than Banjo as a franchise

So it should be Fulgore instead of Banjo

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I kind of don't want Minecraft Steve due to its indie roots (although I can't really think of an indie that would be more appropriate).
Out of the three, Banjo Kazooie matches the tone of the Nintendo pantheon the best.

But honestly, there are more than enough characters at this time. I'm probably the only one hoping that there will be less characters in the next iteration.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, at this point it's Steve. Would've said Banjo in the past but with new characters stretching the limits on how much of a history with Nintendo is required to get into Smash, I don't think that argument is enough to support Banjo anymore. Steve is significantly more relevant and more of a gaming icon. I also think it would serve to finally break that indie barrier for the roster (well, started indie at least), and which better character to do that with?

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
Banjo makes the most sense to me considering the characters history on Nintendo platforms. Chief would be the holy shit option. Steve is a dull choice, I barely see the character as a Microsoft mascot at that.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This is always the same, young people go for Chief & Steve, older people (because 25+ is old these days i guess) go for Banjo.
Seems Banjo does win out a bit everytime, but in a few more years Chief will probs come on top.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo would be the best, but Microsoft has banished him to complete irrelevancy so I doubt it would make a sell-able DLC pack. As much as it pains me to say, Banjo is pretty obscure now and and all of the DLC released so far have been from a relevant and marketable series (with the exception of the Lucas DLC in Smash 4, but that's because they were bringing characters back from Brawl as DLC). So, if Banjo were gonna be in Smash, I feel like he would've just been in the base game with other retro characters that casual gamers don't know like Duck Hunt or K Rool. I feel like Steve would get the nod. More $$$.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Master Chief comes with Halo music.

Marty O'Donnell may be a horrible asshole, but I can't say no to that music.

That said, from an "objective" perspective, Banjo deserves it the most.

Master Chief confirmed xD

Didn't you know the theme for this dlc is "related to an asshole person" ? =P

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, what other character other than Master Chief can really truly represent Microsoft?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm not really interested in a "Microsoft rep." A character representing a corporation is meaningless to me.

Banjo-Kazooie is a long lost Nintendo character and the chance to bring them back home through Smash Bros. would be incredible. The original N64 release is one of my all time favorite games and it would mean so much to Nintendo fans to see them again. Whatever is "best" for Microsoft is irrelevant to me.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Hey did you guys know that the original Killer Instinct sold more than Banjo-Kazooie
Hey did you know the franchise as a whole has sold more than Banjo as a franchise

So it should be Fulgore instead of Banjo

It'll still probably Banjo, but you're right. There was a Nintendo display that had a character from all of their biggest franchises at the time in a car together, with Fulgore being featured prominently.

I thought I wouldn't find it, but I did! Mario & Fox are separate & I remember Link for some reason, but yeah. Nintendo used to see Fulgore as one of their big guns. Part of me hopes that Season Pass 2 is an "Oops! All Rare Characters!" type deal.

DZFh2DuWkAAqqYx.jpg

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Master Chief is far more iconic than Banjo. I mean I really pined for Banjo because it seemed the most realistic but if the MS-Nintendo deal is legit ... then uh MC, no doubt.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really interested in a "Microsoft rep." A character representing a corporation is meaningless to me.

Banjo-Kazooie is a long lost Nintendo character and the chance to bring them back home through Smash Bros. would be incredible. The original N64 release is one of my all time favorite games and it would mean so much to Nintendo fans to see them again. Whatever is "best" for Microsoft is irrelevant to me.
You're saying this like it wouldn't mean anything for people to see Master Chief or Steve. Plenty of people grew up with their games too.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
That big green X logo. It could shoot different screen savers at you, and make spooky 3am sounds. It's final smash would be the microsoft maze.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not sure why Banjo is winning. If you're going by history with Nintendo, Minecraft is actually a far more relevant franchise. If you're just going with the more iconic piece of gaming history it's Master Chief. I suppose this is just demographics, the forum is full of people who played the N64 when they were kids.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm not sure why Banjo is winning. If you're going by history with Nintendo, Minecraft is actually a far more relevant franchise. If you're just going with the more iconic piece of gaming history it's Master Chief. I suppose this is just demographics, the forum is full of people who played the N64 when they were kids.

People have wanted Banjo in Smash since Melee as a pipe dream character. Phil Spencer openly endorsed Banjo being in Smash, causing him to become very popular on the Smash Ballot. Smash is a Nintendo series so people will be naturally drawn to characters with history on Nintendo, and the allure of bringing back an ex-Nintendo character through Smash is extremely appealing.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Of the three I'd want Banjo the least because I see his play style being the least interesting.

I wasn't too hot on Minecraft being in Smash at first but the more I think about it the more I think Steve could be a cool character to play as. There's a lot to play around with with Minecraft's mechanics.

My gut says Chief is the most likely though. I wouldn't be appealed to him

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Halo is a cool guy. He shot alien and doesn't afraid of anything.

Joke answer: MS Bob. He can have the dumb Windows XP search dog show up in his smash moves, and do the Solitaire animation as his final smash.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Chief would be a great representative for MS. Steve and Banjo aren't classically Microsoft, they were just acquired. A byproduct of an acquisition. I mean technically Halo was originally an Apple product, but Apple never released their Halo which I think is the difference.

I think Steve is more likely because he's infinitely more popular than Chief, plus you can always make a Minecraft Master Chief ;-)